New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 14 2013, 01:54 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Should Chapel Have Become a Doctor?

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Why was Chapel dropped after the first movie?
Roddenberry wasn't in charge anymore.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Roddenberry wasn't in charge anymore.
Well, there also was no reason for her to appear again.

If you think about it, the Enterprise was a VERY different ship when we see it again in TWOK. In stead of it being a state of the art explorer vessel with a very diverse crew, it was depicted as an old ship that was being used for training purposes.

Its not even clear to me that in TWOK that ANY of the primary characters (other than Spock and Scotty) were actually part of the ship's crew. It looked to me like they were comng along for the ride at the request of Admiral Kirk.

If Chapel was not in II, then there was no way for her to be in III (though Rand makes an appearance). Chapel does appear in IV at Starfleet Headquarters but that is her last appearance. By that point Majel was camping it up as Lwaxana Troi and probably let Chapel go.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 06:16 PM   #33
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Don't take the phrase literally, I only meant to suggest she moved up on her career and did what she did to become a doctor.
But that's my whole point. That clearly was the impression they wanted to make -- that Chapel had "moved up." But going from nurse to doctor is not "moving up," it's changing careers. It's like someone going from being a mechanic to being an architect and saying they've "moved up" in their career.

Nursing is a career unto itself, and a very important one. Someone who went from LPN to RN would be advancing their career. Someone becoming a doctor would be changing their career.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 06:45 PM   #34
Pauln6
Commodore

CoveZombie wrote: View Post
Nursing is a career unto itself, and a very important one. Someone who went from LPN to RN would be advancing their career. Someone becoming a doctor would be changing their career.
In the sixties nursing was not the same kind of profession it is today. Nursing degrees were not commonplace.

I agree though. I think making her a scientist who was also qualified to be a nurse would have given her two strings to her bow. She can contribute to the science dialogue and be the medical cover on away missions, and assist McCoy in his research... or rather, allow McCoy to assist her in her research, and gt hands on as a nurse in a pinch.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 09:30 PM   #35
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Presumably a career she was in and not studying for.
Sran wrote: View Post
If we're to believe Dr. Selar, medical school is actually longer in the future. There's dialogue in one of the NF novels specifying that a degree from Starfleet Medical requires six years of study.
My friends who are in the medical fields never stop studying. They have to keep studying, passing exams, publishing research papers, etc, to keep tenure and keep current. It's lifelong learning.

My local fan club (ASTREX, Sydney, Australia) published a letter from the Roddenberrys during the pre-production schedule of ST II. In it, Majel explains that she declined participation in ST II because Gene was dropped as Producer, and she wanted to show solidarity.

When the "It's a Wrap" eBay auctions of Paramount's Trek stuff were being held a few years ago, the tagged ST II medical scrubs made for Majel, in preparation for a once-anticipated cameo in ST II, were sold off. They were possibly the ones worn by a female extra in the sick bay scenes.

Last edited by Therin of Andor; October 14 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: more
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:17 AM   #36
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
The promotion may have simply been Majel pulling some behind the scene strings. When it was originally planned as the Phase II television project, even though the Spock replacement of Lt. Xon (David Gautreaux) was pretty much firmed up, he was suddenly asked to come in for a second screen test. Majel was apparently worried the younger Xon meant her character's primary obsession with Spock would result in her having a smaller role in the new series.

Suddenly some British actor (does anyone know the name?) had been brought in to test, and he was about Majel's age (mid-to-late 40s). But the guy did a poor audition, and Gautreaux was buoyed with confidence for a while. Gautreaux tells the story in Shatner's Star Trek Movie Memories.
Didn't I read somewhere here (TrekBBS) that Majel pulled the second guy in for an audition -somehow knowing he'd do badly so GR and the other creative interests would try harder to get Nimoy back.
I'm not saying you're wrong here I don't know either way
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 08:05 PM   #37
inflatabledalek
Captain

Whatever the behind the scenes reasons, I think Chapel's promotion actually works in the films favour in plot terms.

Kirk, Spock and McCoy all start off the film no longer part of the Enterprise crew, so at least some time has to be spent bringing them back into the fold and dealing with that happens to the people originally assigned to those positions. And all three need to have sufficiently different explanations so as not to feel like they're just going over the same group three times.

Kirk obviously gets the lions share of that with an entire sub-plot about his rivalry with Decker (even if it does get sort of forgotten with no proper resolution, indeed, one of my problems with the film is that for most of the first half it looks as if the moral should be Kirk needs to move on with his life and let go of the Enterprise so Decker can fulfil his potential, all of which winds up being ignored by Decker just Going Away).

Spock's replacement meanwhile is killed horribly before the ship launches meaning he can step easily back into his old seat (and over the smouldering corpse of Sonak). That leaves McCoy, and the simple straightforward way of dealing the new CMO without redoing the rivalry plot of Kirk's or having to arrange another fatal accident is to have it be an old friend of his who is happy to defer to his greater experience and let him take charge in sickbay (well, at least when it comes to the weird medical shit V'ger might throw at them. It'd be nice to think she still takes care of the more regular stuff). It's nice and economical in story telling terms.
Old October 19 2013, 08:19 PM   #38
Sran
Fleet Captain

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Kirk obviously gets the lions share of that with an entire sub-plot about his rivalry with Decker (even if it does get sort of forgotten with no proper resolution, indeed, one of my problems with the film is that for most of the first half it looks as if the moral should be Kirk needs to move on with his life and let go of the Enterprise so Decker can fulfil his potential, all of which winds up being ignored by Decker just Going Away).
The resolution to the Kirk-Decker feud was implied during a brief exchange between the two on the bridge while watching the orbital devices deploy. Kirk says, "Well, Mr. Decker. It would seem my bluff has been called."

Decker replies, "I'm afraid our hand's pretty weak, Captain." Kirk smiles in appreciation. It's as though Decker's accepted that Kirk was the right man to command the Enterprise during the V'Ger mission, even as the outcome of the mission's being decided.

--Sran
Old October 22 2013, 03:49 PM   #39
Lance
Fleet Captain

As a side note, the Harold Livingston first draft for the Phase II pilot (which was pretty much rewritten to become TMP) makes specific mention of why Chapel is in the position she's in: like Kirk, there's nobody else halfway qualified to be CMO at such short notice before the ship heads off to face V'Ger. Chapel says she doesn't feel suited to the role, and she is quite pleased when McCoy is 'drafted' and relieves her of some of the added burden.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 05:26 AM   #40
Lance
Fleet Captain

On the question of 'how' it happened, the Phase II format document offers this tidbit:

her medical degress have been accepted by Starfleet, and she has returned to the Enterprise to serve as McCoy's associate.
This doesn't really match what we see on screen though (where she's clearly on the Enterprise before McCoy is).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 05:42 AM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
Which is actually one of the reasons why the film is criticized. As much as fans liked seeing the crew reunited, a lot of people have since observed that TMP suffers from trying to make it appear as though only a short amount of time has passed since the end of the five-year mission. The problem is that over ten years have passed for the actors.
Could be. Worse, though, were The Waltons reunion movies, though their problem was actually the opposite. The family aged, but time seemed to move faster than it should have. They're all still reasonably young during the Kennedy assassination?!? Was there a Guardian of Forever portal on Walton's Mountain? If they made more of those movies, I swear there would have been one based the events of 9/11!

In fact, my rough math actually has the family still going strong when Kirk's Enterprise is launched!
Have you seen Richard Thomas in The Americans?

I swear the man has a portrait in his attic that's doing his aging for him . . . .
Old November 24 2013, 05:53 AM   #42
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Have you seen Richard Thomas in The Americans?

I swear the man has a portrait in his attic that's doing his aging for him . . . .
I've forgotten what it was I saw him, in, Mr. Cox, but I think you're on to something about the portrait: I couldn't believe how good he looked!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:58 PM   #43
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
On the question of 'how' it happened, the Phase II format document offers this tidbit:

her medical degress have been accepted by Starfleet, and she has returned to the Enterprise to serve as McCoy's associate.
This doesn't really match what we see on screen though (where she's clearly on the Enterprise before McCoy is).
Chapel is actually missing for most of the second season of TAS. IIRC, this is when Majel Barrett was due to give birth to her son, Rod. (She does one Chapel episode and one M'Ress episode only.) But Dr Chapel could have then "returned to the Enterprise to serve as McCoy's associate" before McCoy left the ship.

"In Thy Image" begins McCoy's arc with him as a vet on Earth, and Kirk having to take Dr Chapel off her previous assignment because he can't get McCoy back as Chief Surgeon. McCoy being drafted back into Starfleet by Kirk is similarly scripted in ITI and TMP.
Old November 30 2013, 10:24 PM   #44
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Its not even clear to me that in TWOK that ANY of the primary characters (other than Spock and Scotty) were actually part of the ship's crew. It looked to me like they were comng along for the ride at the request of Admiral Kirk.
It always seemed odd to me that Kirk assumed he'd be returning to command Enterprise after repairs were completed. In The Wrath of Khan, Enterprise is under the command of Spock and is just a training ship.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:36 PM   #45
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Mister Spock wrote: View Post
It always seemed odd to me that Kirk assumed he'd be returning to command Enterprise after repairs were completed. In The Wrath of Khan, Enterprise is under the command of Spock and is just a training ship.
When did he assume that?