Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 30 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Doctor Who Mythos

Depending on whether you care about the books, a lot of the Time War elements, such as the destruction of Gallifrey, the Doctor being (almost) the last Time Lord, come from the Eight Doctor novel series.
Old November 30 2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Iamnotspock
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Surprisingly, no. The Second Doctor offers the Brigadier a jelly baby in "The Three Doctors." So it actually originated in the Third Doctor's era.
Second. He eats them in The Dominators. It didn't become a regular thing until Tom though.

She may have originated in spin-off media but can we add Kate Lethbridge-Stewart to the Eleventh era?
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 08:11 PM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Thank you everyone, I've incorporated most of your remarks. I thought it was simpler to add "historicals" under the first Doctor category rather than "the end of historicals" under the second Doctor's. I'm trying not to incorporate stylistic elements, because that could almost be a completely different conversation. And for me "Fixed points in time" appears in the tenth Doctor category because it's during his tenure that the notion that some points in time can be changed and other cannot was formalized and turned into a plot point.

Anything more from the JNT era? Anything for the seventh Doctor?

Here's the updated list:

First Doctor
The Doctor
The TARDIS
The Time Vortex
Companions
Regeneration
Daleks
Cybermen
Skaro
Historicals

Second Doctor
Time Lords
UNIT
Sonic screwdriver
Jelly babies
The 500 year diary
Ice Warriors
The Great Intelligence
Brigadier Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart

Third Doctor
Gallifrey
Bessie & the Whomobile
The Master
Omega
Autons
Silurians
Sontarans
Sarah Jane Smith

Fourth Doctor
Regeneration limits
K9
Zygons
Davros
Rassilon
The Matrix
The Guardians of Time
The Time Agency
The Eye of Harmony
The cloister bell

Fifth Doctor
Eternals

Sixth Doctor
The Rani
The Valeyard

Seventh Doctor

Eighth Doctor
Romance

Ninth Doctor
The Time War
Last of the Time Lords
Psychic paper
Vortex manipulator
Deadlock seals
Bad Wolf
The Shadow Proclamation
Captain Jack Harkness

Tenth Doctor
Fixed points in time
Torchwood
The Weeping Angels
Oods
Judoons
River Song
Christmas specials

Eleventh Doctor
The Silence
The Paternoster Gang
Trenzalore
The War Doctor
Kate Lethbridge-Stewart
Old November 30 2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Might be a stretch and the show hasn't really done anything directly with it (and certainly not to extreme of Lungbarrow), but The Seventh Doctor era introduced the idea of The Doctor being more than just a Time Lord.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 08:32 PM   #20
Iamnotspock
Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Anything more from the JNT era? Anything for the seventh Doctor?
For the (late) Seventh Doctor era, perhaps the slightly darker take on the Doctor? The idea of him being manipulative and one step ahead of the game. The recent characterisation of the Doctor as hugely mysterious and secretive, more powerful than he lets on and perhaps with a terrible secret (Doctor who?), is reminiscent of the so-called "Cartmel Masterplan". The destruction of Skaro in Remembrance of the Daleks and Davros's pledge to "sweep away Gallifrey and its impotent quorum of Time Lords!" certainly had repercussions.

Emh wrote: View Post
Might be a stretch and the show hasn't really done anything directly with it (and certainly not to extreme of Lungbarrow), but The Seventh Doctor era introduced the idea of The Doctor being more than just a Time Lord.
Ah, yes. Although the line that spelled that out was cut from the broadcast version of Remembrance... after being vetoed by JN-T.
Old November 30 2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

I agree that the Seventh Doctor's era introduced some stylistic or conceptual things that have continued to be part of the character. The Tenth Doctor's "Don't you think she looks tired?" -- planting a seed to bring down a government whose actions he objected to -- is very much in the Seventh Doctor's spirit.

But in terms of actual things or concepts -- new aliens, new characters, new terminology, new devices -- there's very little from the Seventh Doctor's era that's been followed up on since.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Iamnotspock
Captain

But in terms of actual things or concepts -- new aliens, new characters, new terminology, new devices -- there's very little from the Seventh Doctor's era that's been followed up on since.
Indeed, I can't really think of anything.
Old November 30 2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Timelord telepathy was introduced with the First, though Susan was better at it.
They used it again in The Three Doctors and Eleven has as well. Possibly more instances that I haven't seen.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

^Well, "The Girl in the Fireplace" had the Tenth Doctor essentially doing a Vulcan mind meld with Reinette.

"The War Games" had the Second Doctor send a telepathic message to the Time Lords.

Oh, speaking of telepathy, here's something from the Fourth Doctor era: "The Masque of Mandragora" introduced the concept that the Doctor's companions were endowed with the gift of understanding any language, an idea that was picked up on more aggressively by the modern series (most notably "The Fires of Pompeii"). "Mandragora" had the Doctor say "It's a Time Lord's gift I allow you to share," while the new series explained it as a function of the TARDIS telepathic circuits.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:20 PM   #25
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I'd say Susan is important - but mainly because of how various strains of fandom have reacted to her - for example in the 1990s where there was all sorts of weird attempts to suggest was something entirely different because of course the Doctor would never have sex.
Thousands of fanfic stories disagree with that!

MikeS wrote: View Post
Eighth - kissing doctor/romance with Humans. It's like he reached sexual maturity and just carried on running with it through subsequent generations!

I don't mind if you ignore this. Just thought I'd point out a change in his character traits. (I was also thinking really hard to give Eight something!)
Actually, there were other instances of flirty behavior... The First Doctor accidentally gets engaged to be married in The Aztecs, and you can't tell me there wasn't some kind of proto-romance going on between the Fourth Doctor and Romana II in City of Death and State of Decay (yes, I know Tom Baker and Lalla Ward were married at one point). And the Fifth Doctor seemed quite... appreciative of how good Tegan looked in her gown in Enlightenment.

For the Fourth Doctor, I would add the existence of female Time Lords (Time Ladies). I discount Susan, since we didn't know anything about Gallifreyan society when she was a Companion.

It was in the Fifth Doctor era that we started revisiting the regular Companions' lives at various times (unless you want to include Lethbridge-Stewart, in which case this started back with the Second Doctor). We don't get to know what Susan was doing before she got caught in the Timescoop in The Five Doctors, but it's clearly later in her life. We see Tegan pre-stewardess job and later on in her life after she gets fired and rejoins the Doctor and Nyssa. We find out what really happened to Peri at the end of Trial of a Timelord (Sixth Doctor), and there's a lot of focus on Ace at various stages of her life in the Seventh Doctor stories. Fast-forward to the Ninth Doctor, and companion-wise, the show turns into a damn soap opera.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Timelord telepathy was introduced with the First, though Susan was better at it.
They used it again in The Three Doctors and Eleven has as well. Possibly more instances that I haven't seen.
I'm pretty sure they did "Contact" again in The Five Doctors

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:42 PM   #27
DWF
Vice Admiral

The first Doctor also gave us the IM Forman junkyard and the Coal Hill School.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 09:58 PM   #28
DWF
Vice Admiral

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Surprisingly, no. The Second Doctor offers the Brigadier a jelly baby in "The Three Doctors." So it actually originated in the Third Doctor's era.
Second. He eats them in The Dominators. It didn't become a regular thing until Tom though.
Are you sure that was a jelly baby he was eating in The Dominators? I mean all I remember seeing was him crumbling up a paper bag, I don't recall seeing what he was eating.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books

Last edited by DWF; November 30 2013 at 10:49 PM.
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:43 PM   #29
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

DWF wrote: View Post
The first Doctor also gave us the IM Forman junkyard and the Coal Hill School.
Yeah, but that's not an established Doctor Who thing. Every time you see it again, it's a reference to that moment. It never appears for independent plot reasons beyond nostalgia.

Anyway, if you're going to include Companions, there's a good argument that Rose Tyler should be added as well.
Old November 30 2013, 10:45 PM   #30
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

ElScoob wrote: View Post

--The Rani didn't turn up until the Sixth Doctor's tenure
nope definiately the 6th Doctor.

At one point he was very perturbed that Peri might have been turned into a tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mark_of_the_Rani

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote