RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Posts: 5,430,161
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 509
Newest member: ragster


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old November 25 2013, 10:59 AM   #31
cultcross
Say my name...
 
cultcross's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Pingfah wrote: View Post
i'm guessing that if you crashed or caused an accident while following somebody at the behest of the dispatcher, that would be a legal headache for the department. It doesn't seem likely that they would use an untrained civilian to trail a suspect.
This. Under no circumstances would police communications tell or encourage a civilian to tail someone who may be drink driving. Its asking for an accident, either from the caller who, so intent on following the suspect, doesn't pay attention themselves and hits someone, or from the suspect who realises they're being followed and decides to make off at speed or stop to have it out with their pursuer. There are dozens of factors considered when the police decide to pursue someone, none of which can be meaningfully assessed by speaking to someone they've never met on the end of a phone. Too great a risk. In fact, our call takers scripting software will prompt them to tell you not to continue following.
I can't speak for police in your area but most certainly take such calls seriously, and details are passed over the radio etc for officers to attempt to locate/stop.
__________________
This post terminates here. Please do not attempt to board.
cultcross is offline  
Old November 27 2013, 11:30 PM   #32
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Timby wrote: View Post
For one, The State of California itself says you shouldn't follow people suspected of drunk driving.

Pingfah is most likely dead on the money, and I would suspect that's the reason both calls were ended: If you were to get into an accident, or if the allegedly impaired driver were to get in one (and then claim they were worried you were following them), then it suddenly becomes a headache. What if it went to trial and the defense tried to argue you were acting as an agent of the police? What if you tried to sue the department because you were trying to follow an impaired driver and just "help out," and then ran into a tree? Or any number of other things that could have happened?

I'm not saying this is even remotely on the same level of severity, but this is the same reason George Zimmerman was told by the 911 dispatcher to remain in his vehicle. It's not your job to follow a driver you think is impaired and report their up-to-date movements to dispatch. And, truth be told, although you're encouraged to report drunk drivers, the reason is that so if there happens to be a unit in the near vicinity, they can be sent to that location, but otherwise, it's usually that a BOLO is sent out to any stationed units in the area, particularly speed trap units on the highways.
Flux: I hope you've read this post by Timby. This, x like, a million. The streets of 'Frisco are safe without you suiting up and taking on the night, Bats.
doubleohfive is offline  
Old November 28 2013, 01:47 AM   #33
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

This isn't Stockholm.
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline  
Old November 28 2013, 02:02 AM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

They should get 6 points and a £300 fine. If the phone is that urget call pull over (in a safe place)and take it or at the very minimum invest in a hands free device, some new cars even come with them inbuilt.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline  
Old November 28 2013, 02:11 AM   #35
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan
 
Captain Ice's Avatar
 
Location: Captain Ice's alter ego
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

^Read the thread again, Macleod. He's not talking about taking a phone call from someone calling him. He's talking about calling the cops on another driver.
__________________
Captain Ice is now Captain Stoned. - KM
You are too straight to be a floral designer. - da Bunny

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline  
Old November 28 2013, 02:45 AM   #36
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 
Location: SPACESHIP!
Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
For one, The State of California itself says you shouldn't follow people suspected of drunk driving.

Pingfah is most likely dead on the money, and I would suspect that's the reason both calls were ended: If you were to get into an accident, or if the allegedly impaired driver were to get in one (and then claim they were worried you were following them), then it suddenly becomes a headache. What if it went to trial and the defense tried to argue you were acting as an agent of the police? What if you tried to sue the department because you were trying to follow an impaired driver and just "help out," and then ran into a tree? Or any number of other things that could have happened?

I'm not saying this is even remotely on the same level of severity, but this is the same reason George Zimmerman was told by the 911 dispatcher to remain in his vehicle. It's not your job to follow a driver you think is impaired and report their up-to-date movements to dispatch. And, truth be told, although you're encouraged to report drunk drivers, the reason is that so if there happens to be a unit in the near vicinity, they can be sent to that location, but otherwise, it's usually that a BOLO is sent out to any stationed units in the area, particularly speed trap units on the highways.
Flux: I hope you've read this post by Timby. This, x like, a million. The streets of 'Frisco are safe without you suiting up and taking on the night, Bats.
Good thing I wasn't in "'Frisco" then, right? Then again, who cares about geographical accuracy when you're making another smartass drive-by post. One of my threads just ain't complete without one from you, it seems.

I didn't "suit up" and head out looking for crime to fight, I came across one potentially in progress for the first time, called it in, and was subsequently surprised by the lack of response. That's a big difference from purposely going out and looking for trouble as you're trying so hard to make it seem.
__________________
"I'm a fan of good sci-fi. Star Trek. Battlestar. That Joss Whedon show." - Nathan Fillion, Castle
Flux Capacitor is offline  
Old November 28 2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

^ you followed the guy. You aren't supposed to
Finn is offline  
Old November 29 2013, 04:12 PM   #38
Doc_192
Ensign
 
Location: Sweden
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Finn wrote: View Post
^ you followed the guy. You aren't supposed to
Unless the police order you too. They tried to pull that shit on me once. Didn't work. There are advantages to untraceable prepaid phones. I'd never call the police with my normal phone, that just a whole 'nother bag of hurt.

I've been to over a dozen accident scenes where the driver was obviously drunk. Always called the police, they never showed up. So what do you do? Drive the idiot to the nearest repair shop, dump his car and let him sort the rest out. Its not a civilians job to fight crime.

I've stopped reporting drunk drivers. Nothing is ever done about it. Its easier to just overtake them and let the morons crash behind you where there is no chance if them injuring you and your passengers.
Doc_192 is offline  
Old November 29 2013, 10:09 PM   #39
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline  
Old November 30 2013, 12:18 PM   #40
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Doc_192 wrote: View Post
Finn wrote: View Post
^ you followed the guy. You aren't supposed to
Unless the police order you too. They tried to pull that shit on me once. Didn't work. There are advantages to untraceable prepaid phones. I'd never call the police with my normal phone, that just a whole 'nother bag of hurt.

I've been to over a dozen accident scenes where the driver was obviously drunk. Always called the police, they never showed up. So what do you do? Drive the idiot to the nearest repair shop, dump his car and let him sort the rest out. Its not a civilians job to fight crime.

I've stopped reporting drunk drivers. Nothing is ever done about it. Its easier to just overtake them and let the morons crash behind you where there is no chance if them injuring you and your passengers.
What an exciting life you lead there on the dark side of Sweden, "Doc." It's almost like something out of a movie.

__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old November 30 2013, 06:57 PM   #41
Doc_192
Ensign
 
Location: Sweden
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
What an exciting life you lead there on the dark side of Sweden, "Doc." It's almost like something out of a movie.

[IMG]PICTURE[/IMG]
I'm a tow truck driver. Turning up at accident scenes in kind of in my job description.

And btw, the Swedish chef and an Iraqi sniper chicken? Seriously?
Doc_192 is offline  
Old November 30 2013, 08:58 PM   #42
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Doc_192 wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
What an exciting life you lead there on the dark side of Sweden, "Doc." It's almost like something out of a movie.
I'm a tow truck driver. Turning up at accident scenes in kind of in my job description.

And btw, the Swedish chef and an Iraqi sniper chicken? Seriously?
Syrian, not serious.

Are we really pretending like you don't known what I'm referencing, totally new person who's never been here before?
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old November 30 2013, 09:16 PM   #43
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

"The Børk Ultimatum"...
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now  
Old November 30 2013, 09:57 PM   #44
Doc_192
Ensign
 
Location: Sweden
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Syrian, not serious.

Are we really pretending like you don't known what I'm referencing, totally new person who's never been here before?
Oh I know what you're referencing. I also know that you still seem to be the same childish prick you've been for years. Why do you just bugger off? I really don't have the energy or the willpower to deal with you. You're a mod and you still haven't laerned to stay on topic?

Oh, btw. Since one the twat in question didn't even have the decency to send an email. Can I assume you were the one who banned me last time? Or was it someone else?
Doc_192 is offline  
Old November 30 2013, 10:14 PM   #45
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Reporting Drunk Drivers

Doc_192 wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Syrian, not serious.

Are we really pretending like you don't known what I'm referencing, totally new person who's never been here before?
Oh I know what you're referencing. I also know that you still seem to be the same childish prick you've been for years. Why do you just bugger off? I really don't have the energy or the willpower to deal with you. You're a mod and you still haven't laerned to stay on topic?

Oh, btw. Since one the twat in question didn't even have the decency to send an email. Can I assume you were the one who banned me last time? Or was it someone else?
An adult response would be to throw a tantrum, presumably?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.