TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 28 2013, 03:59 AM   #121
picardo
Lieutenant

Re: Things you got "wrong"

I was under the impression that Klingons only ate with their bare hands, then in The Mind's Eye episode there's this Klingon ambassador who's using a fork (and his food isn't alive) he appears to be eating in a perfectly civilized manner.
picardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 05:31 AM   #122
Lance
Fleet Captain

picardo wrote: View Post
I was under the impression that Klingons only ate with their bare hands, then in The Mind's Eye episode there's this Klingon ambassador who's using a fork (and his food isn't alive) he appears to be eating in a perfectly civilized manner.
That's what exposure to the Federation does to you.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 08:43 PM   #123
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
When I was very, very little I thought the bridge took up the entire saucer.
You're not alone!

When I first saw the trailers on the BBC for Deep Space Nine, I thought - given the spooky music - Odo was a villain.

And that the Enterprise-D had been turned into a space station.

Mind you, I was about eight.
Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 09:30 PM   #124
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

picardo wrote: View Post
Oooh, when Riker gorges on that Klingon feast in preparation for the Officer Exchange Program, I could have sworn that he was eating Korean food, including squid deep fried in batter. When Pulaski gave Riker and his table a look of disgust, I remember thinking, "What? What's the problem? It looks so good!"

Hungry little tyke that I was, of course.

Edit: Hah, after checking out the episode on Memory Alpha, the prop department indeed used Asian food. No wonder the kids on the playground thought I was weird! (but I bet Frakes thought it was SOOO GOOD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoOfjGqo5EY
Old November 30 2013, 01:38 PM   #125
MarsWeeps
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
Not sure what you mean by this.

Turbolift car comes up thru the shaft, shifts forward and to port to the doors. When a person uses it, the car shifts back to the vertical shaft and drops, and the standby car immediately over to take its place at the bridge doors.
This is Ziz's concept from many years ago, which made a light bulb go off over my head. It makes a ton more sense than the bridge being the only control center on any vehicle in history that doesn't face front.
Thank you, that's been my interpretation for years, ever since I heard of the "offset" theory which made no sense at all.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 05:03 PM   #126
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Except that wouldn't fit unless the Enterprise was bigger than all the behind the scenes books and manuals claim.
Old November 30 2013, 05:54 PM   #127
MarsWeeps
Captain

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Not sure what you mean by this.

Turbolift car comes up thru the shaft, shifts forward and to port to the doors. When a person uses it, the car shifts back to the vertical shaft and drops, and the standby car immediately over to take its place at the bridge doors.
This is Ziz's concept from many years ago, which made a light bulb go off over my head. It makes a ton more sense than the bridge being the only control center on any vehicle in history that doesn't face front.
Thank you, that's been my interpretation for years, ever since I heard of the "offset" theory which made no sense at all.
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Except that wouldn't fit unless the Enterprise was bigger than all the behind the scenes books and manuals claim.
Yes but sometimes you have to turn a blind eye to things like that. For example, the exterior of the Galileo shuttlecraft was smaller than the interior. It's really obvious when you see the people standing in the interior and know that they should be hitting their heads if you compare it to the exterior. Or the rear compartment in the interior could not fit the exterior mockup.

So, like the Galileo discrepancy, I choose to ignore the idea of an offset bridge.
Old November 30 2013, 06:31 PM   #128
Green Shirt
Commodore

As far as a sideways sliding turbolift on the bridge level, I don't believe the motion indicator ever show lateral movement when approaching or leaving the bridge. Unless it wasn't designed to do so.
Old December 1 2013, 04:14 AM   #129
scotpens
Vice Admiral

On a ship that has artificial gravity, inertial dampers, anti-acceleration forcefields, and on which the main bridge viewscreen is a monitor, not a window, requiring the bridge to face forward makes no sense at all!

So, like the Galileo discrepancy, I choose to ignore the idea of an offset bridge.
Okay, then. Trek geeks will be forever divided into "bridge faces forward" and "bridge is offset 36 degrees" camps. You go to your church and I'll go to mine.

Last edited by scotpens; December 1 2013 at 04:26 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 11:06 AM   #130
Captain Rob
Commodore

Since in reality the bridge sections are movable. Maybe in-universe, so are the bridge stations and viewscreen. Maybe some Captains don't want people entering the bridge directly behind him. The Reliant's lift was directly behind the Captain. If every section was movable and replaceable. It would make replacing all of those exploding bridge consoles easier.
Old December 1 2013, 01:12 PM   #131
MarsWeeps
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
On a ship that has artificial gravity, inertial dampers, anti-acceleration forcefields, and on which the main bridge viewscreen is a monitor, not a window, requiring the bridge to face forward makes no sense at all!
I never said it was required, it just didn't make any sense to offset it 35 degrees, if only for aesthetic reasons.

Using your logic, why didn't they put the bridge on the bottom of the saucer and turn it upside down? It does have artificial gravity, blah, blah, blah!
Old December 1 2013, 03:39 PM   #132
Forbin
Admiral

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
As far as a sideways sliding turbolift on the bridge level, I don't believe the motion indicator ever show lateral movement when approaching or leaving the bridge. Unless it wasn't designed to do so.
We also saw, in the Enterprise Incident, about 20 vertical deck-lights go by on a trip from the bridge to deck TWO.
It's a TV show.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 03:41 PM   #133
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Using your logic, why didn't they put the bridge on the bottom of the saucer and turn it upside down? It does have artificial gravity, blah, blah, blah!
Well, logically, the bridge should be deep inside the ship where it has some protection from attack, not right on top of the saucer where it's exposed and vulnerable.

For that matter, assuming we have artificial gravity, it's unnecessary for spaceships to have parallel decks like oceangoing ships or buildings.
Old December 1 2013, 03:42 PM   #134
Forbin
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post

On ANY vehicle ever made, having the control room angled to face 36° off the direction of travel makes no sense at all! Having the TOS Enterprise be the only vehicle in history to do so makes no sense at all!

Okay, then. Trek geeks will be forever divided into "bridge faces forward" and "bridge is offset 36 degrees" camps. You go to your church and I'll go to mine.
Well, so far, that IS the case, so what the heck.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 04:06 PM   #135
MarsWeeps
Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
I thought the silver control near the barrel of the phaser 2 was symmetrical. I can't remember when it was finally brought to my attention, but even in the series it is evident that the control is only on the left side of the weapon.
Pics? I'm not sure what you mean.

EDIT:

Ok, I see what you mean, I also had no idea it was only on one side. I'm wondering if that's some type of knob that allows removal of the Phaser 1 unit from the rest of the body?

Last edited by MarsWeeps; December 1 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added pic