TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 27 2013, 10:19 PM   #31
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Any films where you'd rather have the DVD then Blue-Ray?

2001 is my favorite movie of all time, and I love the Blu-Ray, but there is one bit where you can see an imperfection: During the 'Dawn of Man' sequences, you can now see the film projection screen that was used for the 'sky' scenes. (All of the Dawn of Man was shot in a studio, and the 'sky' was created by projection.) But that's just nitpicking, really.
Old November 27 2013, 10:30 PM   #32
J.T.B.
Commodore

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
But there are some films that you can see too much in hi-def. People complained that you can see the imperfections (even the paint strokes) in Vader's black helmet. Although I'm not making that particular argument, there are movies that just look better in DVD or even VHS, that they have kept their mysterious qualities, and that they look more like films.
The "information" was always there, people just didn't notice and/or got used to seeing it a certain way. I can remember seeing a piece of white tape patching a stormtrooper's armor in the theater over 30 years ago.

Of course going to the movies is a different experience than home video, and is subject to a wide variation in theater equipment, condition of the print, skill of the projectionist and so on. When watched in HD at home, older movies can look different than people remember them. A lot of times this is because we remember them from SD TV. People sometimes complain about "graininess," but in a good restoration of an older film that shouldn't be seen as a problem. Film, after all, is composed of "grains" of silver crystals.

OTOH transferring an older film to digital video involves some choices, like digital color "correction," as has been mentioned, that can really change the look for the worse. But a credible restoration and HD transfer with the aim of matching the original projected film can be really, really good, even if you notice things you didn't before.

As far as BD/DVD, I am not a big movie buyer but I have double-dipped on a few favorites because the BD was such an improvement. I usually turn the old version in to a local shop, but there have been, I think, two DVDs I kept because they had bonus features that were not included on the BD.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 10:39 PM   #33
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

ACE wrote: View Post
If you buy it on DVD then Blu-ray, you are paying for it twice. I would rather just buy the Blu-ray, rather than the DVD. It is much better quality. Or, perhaps buy the Blu-ray that includes the DVD in the package if you want both.
I bought so many DVD's before blu-ray, and even during the HD-DVD vs. blu-ray wars, that I'm bound to want better looking versions of some or a lot of them at some point.

It really depends on the movie. I re-purchased the extended LOTR's on blu-ray as well as the full Star Wars set (though I kept the "2 version" Star Wars DVD's just for the sake of having the original releases & kept the LOTR gift sets for the figures that came with them).

But from this point on, it's blu-ray whenever possible.

Frankly, I'm glad I never bought any Star Trek TV series' DVD's. They were more expensive at the time than the blu-rays are now and the blu-rays are so much more beautiful.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 10:41 PM   #34
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I only have a DVD player so Blu-ray can fuck off.
This puts it stronger than I would have, but I still agree. DVD is good enough.

Ten years on, and I'm STILL not finished converting over from VHS to DVD. I'm not about to start the whole process all over again with Blue Ray. I have to have SOME money for food and electricity after all...
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 10:48 PM   #35
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
(All of the Dawn of Man was shot in a studio, and the 'sky' was created by projection.)
The only exception I remember reading in the paperback book (by Jerome Agel?) about the film was during the bone throwing scene right before it jumpcuts to an orbiting satellite. Not sure if it's the throw itself, or just the bone spinning in the air, but one or both of those shots is natural sunlight.
Old November 27 2013, 10:53 PM   #36
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It looks as if some of the establishing landscape shots were done on location. Not sure.
Old November 27 2013, 11:22 PM   #37
J.T.B.
Commodore

It looks as if some of the establishing landscape shots were done on location. Not sure.
Yes, and they are actually still photos.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 02:13 AM   #38
MacLeod
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I only have a DVD player so Blu-ray can fuck off.
This puts it stronger than I would have, but I still agree. DVD is good enough.

Ten years on, and I'm STILL not finished converting over from VHS to DVD. I'm not about to start the whole process all over again with Blue Ray. I have to have SOME money for food and electricity after all...
You know looking back, I'm sure prior to upgrading to DVD i felt as if VHS was good enough. And excatly the same before upgrading to Blu-ray, DVD is good enough. After watching stuff in HD on blu-ray it's a case of this is so superior to DVD.

Blu-ray players are fairly inexpensive these days, and it's not like changing from VHS to DVD. As most Blu-ray players will p upscale DVD to 720p, so you don't have to double-dip and rebuy what you own on DVD (unless you want to).

Yes Blu-ray discs are slightly more expensive than DVD's, but I tend to wait till they come down in price or come on some sort of offer before i purchase. I have never paid RRP for a DVD or blu-ray.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 11:05 PM   #39
Mooch
Fleet Captain

I think what I was getting at is this: I agree that Blue-Ray looks superior, with picture clarity and all of that. But some movies, the way their film, might be done a disservice by having such clarity, that it almost looks like everything is too clean and too manufactured, too polished if seen in hi-definition. I brought up First Class and Man of Steel because, int he case of the former, it was filmed with a 60's aesthetic, and in the case of hte latter, it has a rough, hand-held camera documentary feel and the deep grays might seem too bright on Blue-Ray. I also would imagine that darkly lit films from the 90's, like the hunt for Red October, might not translate well to having absolute clarity, because that is not what the filmmakers had when they made it.

In other words, my question wasn't intended to ask whether people had blue-rays or not. It was more about specific films or types of films in which high-definition actually takes something away from the film by adding so much clarity. I sometimes don't mind having everything so damn sharp. It reminds me that I'm watching a movie that was printed chemically on a film and, at one point, was projected using light beams onto a screen.
Um, a movie being on blu-ray has nothing to do with how sharp or how bright it is. A movie from the 60's (or meant to look like it is from the 60's) is not somehow better on dvd. Just because you watched it on a crappy SD TV for years doesn't mean that's how it's supposed to look.

Regular old film is still higher resolution than blu-ray, so you can't say it "reveals things you aren't supposed to see". Even black and white movies from the 30's and 40's still look better and more true to the original film on blu-ray than DVD.

Furthermore, a movie that wasn't sharp to begin with doesn't look sharper just cause it's on blu-ray.

But what I'm thinking about is analogous to an audiophile who can detect the difference between an a CD and MP3, and, more to the point, the difference in depth between vinyl and CD. There is more "depth" in Vinyl, some say. If an old band recorded something in one room, you can almost "hear" how far away the drum-kit might be from the equipment, and the guitar player might be further away form the recorder and, if you listen to vinyl, you can actually "hear" that.
Sure, except you're not watching the movies on film. You're watching them on DVD. Your argument is like saying that a 96kbps MP3 is better than a 256 kbps MP3 because vinyl is not digital. It makes no sense.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 12:56 AM   #40
jayceee
Commander

If a bluray release is an upscale of the dvd version, then I won't bother wasting cash on the bluray if I already have the dvd version. (Alleged cases of this are Farscape, the first four seasons of the revived Doctor Who, etc ...).

These days I mainly pick up the bluray versions of movies and tv shows, largely to limit my habits of "compulsively buying" optical discs. For me, it's far too easy to go on huge dvd buying binges. When I restrict my purchases primarily to blurays, it cuts down significantly on such "buying binges".

Today I more or less have most of the movies I want on bluray. Not really much left of interest to me. I don't even bother wasting time anymore searching through the $5 bluray cutout bins.

What's left of interest to me, are current tv shows' seasons being released on bluray. (I'm not really interested in current movies). I'll only buy a particular tv show's bluray season set, if I really want to watch that particular show's season again.

Of the tv show season sets released on bluray over the past nine months or so, so far I have only purchased one: season 1 of Netflix's "House of Cards". (I prefer to watch it on bluray, than streaming it online). Otherwise the current batch of tv shows on bluray, hold very little to no interest to me anymore. (I watched every episode of: Fringe season 5, Nikita season 3, "Person of Interest" season 2, "Hawaii Five-0" season 3, etc ... which I thought were all rather mediocre compared to previous seasons). In practice, I find that tv show season sets have very little to no rewatch value, after I have seen all the season's episodes already (whether on disc, broadcast, streaming, etc ...).

In summary, the main use of bluray to me is largely a self-imposed way to restrict and change my optical disc buying habits.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 03:53 AM   #41
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

jayceee wrote: View Post
If a bluray release is an upscale of the dvd version, then I won't bother wasting cash on the bluray if I already have the dvd version. (Alleged cases of this are Farscape, the first four seasons of the revived Doctor Who, etc ...).
Remember what I just said about upscaling. Don't ever believe anyone who tries to use that word as an excuse that it somehow makes something into HD, because it doesn't work that way. If you are watching a DVD on a high definition set, and there ISN'T a tiny postage stamp sized image in the middle of the screen, then you are already watching something upscaled - even if it looks like the standardest of standard definition DVD. All upscaling means is that the image fills the screen. That's IT.
Old November 30 2013, 05:09 AM   #42
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

-Any that feel I will travel with, because my laptop only plays DVDs.
-Any Series or movies I buy from Australia or the UK, because I can only watch things from other regions on my computers with DVD players and region-work-around software.

So basically I always look for combo packs since I can play the BDs at home on the BD player and take the DVDs with me if I want. If I can only choose DVD or BD and there is no combo pack I'd usually go with DVD since that will play on everything.
Old November 30 2013, 05:39 AM   #43
jayceee
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Remember what I just said about upscaling. Don't ever believe anyone who tries to use that word as an excuse that it somehow makes something into HD, because it doesn't work that way. If you are watching a DVD on a high definition set, and there ISN'T a tiny postage stamp sized image in the middle of the screen, then you are already watching something upscaled - even if it looks like the standardest of standard definition DVD. All upscaling means is that the image fills the screen. That's IT.
Even worse is how the upscalers on many bluray players are largely garbage.

The only semi-tolerable upscaling I've seen so far, is connecting the computer to my big screen hd tv and using Media Player Classic with madVR. Not as good as a real native 1080p source, but somewhat better than most built-in upscalers on many bluray players.

Last edited by jayceee; November 30 2013 at 06:33 PM.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 06:01 AM   #44
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I have watched things in HD and really the difference difference between VHS and DVD is so much larger than the difference between DVD and BR.
Old November 30 2013, 03:35 PM   #45
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

To turn this topic on its head, I have bought SD material upscaled to Blu-ray. The main reason for that is the whole NTSC-PAL thing, NTSC with its interlaced format is bad enough, but converting it to PAL adds another layer of crap, whether it's the ghosting and low resolution from a standards conversion, or PAL speedup with higher pitched audio or improperly applied pitch correction.

So SD material at the correct 24 fps in progressive form is already a big step up from DVD. Then you have the deeper colour rendition of Blu-ray, and you get practically no visible compression on a decent transfer, as compared to mosquito noise and break-up around fast motion on DVD, so for certain titles, especially animation, SD material upscaled to HD looks fantastic. But I make no excuses that it's suddenly HD because of it.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote