RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 439
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 29 2013, 03:04 PM   #661
Lance
Commodore

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

teacake wrote: View Post
Twisted sex scenes?!
Kirk doing one cat girl would be a simple fetish. Two cat girls at the same time however, that just makes it perverse.

What does one do with that many nipples?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 03:14 PM   #662
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I'd mate her off with those Dog Men in TNG's "Lonely Among Us," I believe the episode was, where ENTERPRISE-D was heading off to Babel, with Dog Men and Snake People who hated and wanted to eat eachother. Anyway, there's your answer ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 03:55 PM   #663
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Lance wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Twisted sex scenes?!
Kirk doing one cat girl would be a simple fetish. Two cat girls at the same time however, that just makes it perverse.

Well, given we see their torso's and there were only the usual 2, the same you'd do with anyone else.
Old November 29 2013, 06:49 PM   #664
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I promise the fanrage would have been identical.
NuTrek has benefited from a more assiduous and widespread attempt to suppress fanrage than virtually any incarnation of any franchise I've ever seen. Even the "backlash" against STID is astonishingly mild so far.
What do you mean?
Are you saying there's been some conspiracy from TPTB to suppress the rage?
I'm interested in this. Can you tell us more?
If anything, TBTB went out of their way to put in lots of winks, nods, references and allusions to things fans would recognize from previous Treks. Yes, there have been some who looked upon all of that as pandering but, even among those who weren't so happy with the movies we got, there hasn't been what any reasonable person would describe as a high incidence of fan rage. Were those fan-rage suppression tactics? Rather successful ones, if so.

Belz... wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's not a genuine reboot, so it doesn't
Your opinion doesn't change reality. The fact that it splinters from the previous timeline doesn't make it not a reboot.
The fact that it's still being argued, this far on, whether or not Star Trek has been rebooted points up that the term "reboot" has come to have so many different definitions for so many different people that it's become effectively meaningless as a one-word description of anything, and should henceforth be dropped from the working vocabulary. Srsly. Get rid of it.

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Haha ... This supposed concern over Fan Rage is quite amusing. Angry Nerds have Paramount by its proverbial balls, do they?
Nope. Fan boredom is something Paramount might worry about at some point, but fan rage is more a trivial detail than it is a concern.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 08:35 PM   #665
BigJake
Rear Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
What do you mean?
Are you saying there's been some conspiracy from TPTB to suppress the rage?
That is actually way more fun than what I was saying. Implants, hypnotism, secret chemicals in our ventilation systems, cloaked War Birds playing Barry Manilow on subliminal frequencies... you'd be amazed how deep the rabbit hole goes. Let's get this conspiracy theory rolling!

Much more boringly, I meant it has been the benificiary of efforts by the fans to give it the benefit of the doubt and to forbear from objections. (Less so once STID invited self-comparison to TWOK, but this was very pronounced with ST09.) But I like your idea better.
Old November 29 2013, 08:44 PM   #666
2takesfrakes
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Haha ... This supposed concern over Fan Rage is quite amusing. Angry Nerds have Paramount by its proverbial balls, do they?
Nope. Fan boredom is something Paramount might worry about at some point, but fan rage is more a trivial detail than it is a concern.
Understood & Confirmed ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 08:52 PM   #667
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I wonder: were movies like Final Frontier, Nemesis and Insurrection victims of fan boredom or fan rage? How meaningful a distinction is that?
Old November 29 2013, 09:50 PM   #668
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I wonder: were movies like Final Frontier, Nemesis and Insurrection victims of fan boredom or fan rage? How meaningful a distinction is that?
How about somewhere in the middle, like fan annoyance? That's mostly how I felt about the movies you name here. In all three, I was annoyed by various aspects of the movies, but I wouldn't call it boredom, and the only thing I was angry about was when the Klingon used the Voyager probe for target practice.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 09:54 PM   #669
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Lance wrote: View Post

Well, remember that Kirk in the regular universe once drowned a catgirl (in a "pool" table) and she had three breasts all on her lonesome.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 10:03 PM   #670
Therin of Andor
Admiral

As a brand new Trek fan in December 1979 - I loved the movie - the fan anger I kept meeting in my early days of fandom was very disturbing. While many were welcoming of brand new members, there was still scathing criticism of ST:TMP and it always felt directed at me. "You can't call yourself a Star Trek fan if you haven't see the good stuff that came before. And if you'd been there at the beginning, you'd agree with us that TMP is terrible."

As a well-travelled fan by the time of ST V, we followed the rumours throughout production and ran a "special sealed section" in our regular newsletter. On opening night we had little choice than to take the film more as a satire. We had a great time, but it was at Shatner's expense.

But yes, some new and much older fans loved this film and said it was closer to the Trek of old.

IDIC.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
the only thing I was angry about was when the Klingon used the Voyager probe for target practice.
It was a Pioneer. And the scriptwriters wanted you to be angry.
Old November 29 2013, 11:45 PM   #671
borgboy
Fleet Captain

The new movies have all new actors playing slightly different versions of the original cast. That's very similar enough to a reboot that I don't have a problem calling it a reboot. It's not the purest version of a reboot though, not with Prime Spock, Nero destroying Vulcan, etc, and those are exciting and interesting changes imo.
Old November 30 2013, 12:09 AM   #672
Therin of Andor
Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
The new movies have all new actors playing slightly different versions of the original cast. That's very similar enough to a reboot that I don't have a problem calling it a reboot. It's not the purest version of a reboot though, not with Prime Spock, Nero destroying Vulcan, etc, and those are exciting and interesting changes imo.
And much easier to explain/accept than switching Saaviks in midstream.
Old November 30 2013, 12:41 AM   #673
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Good point about Saavik. I just accept that roles get recast and never worried about it much, and I liked both actors in the role in their own way. I think Kirstie Alley had more of an edge to her, and Robin Curtis's Saavik seems more sweet, in a weird Vulcan way.
The "reboot" actors are overall pretty good. Urban is amazing in getting the McCoy vibe so right, and Quinto makes Spock is his own in a way I'd never think anyone else could do. Chris Pine was enjoyable and likable in his own right even if I never really felt like he had the "Shatner vibe". Scotty was pretty adorable in his own right. Uhura is likable even if I'm still weirded out by her relationship with Spock, it still brought some interesting emotional moments in the first movie. Sulu and Chekov really got lost in the crowd for me.
Old November 30 2013, 12:58 AM   #674
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

NO ONE will ever have the Shatner vibe.

Chris did well.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 12:59 AM   #675
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Pine's approach (to just create his own version of the character instead of trying to replicate Shatner) was the right one.