Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 29 2013, 01:49 AM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Why Star Trek Sucks

CLICK!

An ancient article from 1994(!) which I bumped into while looking for some anti-Trek stuff for another thread. The weird thing is, I agree with much of what's said here. It pretty much lists my grievances with Trek from the start of TNG until the Xindi attacked Earth in Enterprise. The morals are trite, the people frequently act unrealistically and the aliens are often dumb. And the jazz music is awful!

The science stuff I don't care about. Trek is science-fantasy, whether fans choose to accept it as such or not.

And weirdly, despite agreeing with so much of the article.... I still love Star Trek. It's silly, it's flawed and it's goofy, but it's so often fun.

What I very strongly disagree with is the writer's treatment of Trek fans at the end of the article.
Old November 29 2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Why Star Trek Sucks

I agree with some of what's written as it relates to The Next Generation. I've always found Deep Space 9 to be a realistic look at a future society, as it takes the problems and concepts of our recent past and applies them to the twenty fourth century. I do wonder what DS9 may have looked like had it aired after September 11, but as it ended more than two years before the terrorist attacks occurred, it's an accurate extrapolation of events moving forward from 1999.

--Sran
Old November 29 2013, 02:15 AM   #3
nureintier
Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

The science stuff I don't care about. Trek is science-fantasy, whether fans choose to accept it as such or not.
It's a fictional universe, and that's why I can accept some of the wacky stuff. It's supposed to be enjoyable to watch, and some of these aspects make for fun plot devices. Seems like nitpicking to me (or unrealistic expectations of Trek being hard science fiction and focusing on accuracy of technology, whereas Trek spends a lot of time dealing more with the characters and society). I'm sure most people recognize the fact that a lot of the stuff is unrealistic and has fantasy elements.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

And weirdly, despite agreeing with so much of the article.... I still love Star Trek. It's silly, it's flawed and it's goofy, but it's so often fun.

What I very strongly disagree with is the writer's treatment of Trek fans at the end of the article.
Agreed with all of this.
nureintier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 03:03 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

What a waste of time. The article basically consists of "the world of Star Trek doesn't conform to how I view the world around me and is therefore crap." Whatever, the guy obviously doesn't like Trek, that's obvious. And he's not required to, but it would be better if he just admitted "I don't like Star Trek" rather than wax on about having standards which Trek apparently doesn't meet.

The note at the top claims the article was written in 1994. Yet Voyager is mentioned a few times with an episode's plot even referenced. Voyager started in 1995 and that episode mentioned also aired in 95. Was this guy so busy worrying over how out of touch Star Trek was to bother looking at a calendar?
Old November 29 2013, 03:12 AM   #5
billcosby
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Was this guy so busy worrying over how out of touch Star Trek was to bother looking at a calendar?
Truly the definition of irony. You worry about something being out of touch until you're out of touch. That's actually pretty hilarious if he truly got the year wrong. It'll warrant a visit from Temporal Corrections, or whomever they were on DS9.

Anyway, I appreciate the offer, but between my group of friends and my fellow posters here, I think I'm sufficient for opinions on how Star Trek sucks.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 03:32 AM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Was this guy so busy worrying over how out of touch Star Trek was to bother looking at a calendar?
Truly the definition of irony. You worry about something being out of touch until you're out of touch. That's actually pretty hilarious if he truly got the year wrong.
The very first sentence on that page:

This article has been on the web since 1994.
Voyager premiered January 16, 1995. The episode Phage, which is the Voyager episode where Neelix gets holographic lungs referenced in the bit whining about Trek's bad science aired February 6, 1995.
Old November 29 2013, 04:30 AM   #7
Lance
Commodore

I have to be honest: while I think he goes a bit too hard on Star Trek (and goes for the obvious attacks, re: for example the well-worn 'Deanna states the obvious' criticism), there are other parts of the article where he definitely has a point.

From the article:

We have the Klingons, equally on par with the federation technologically, yet ruled by a singular fuedal warlord society. They can create impressive starships that are a match for the Federation, yet they know nothing of personal hygene or dental care. They know computers, but seem to have no patience to deal with any technology or people -- which would be neccesary for technological development. Klingons seem more prone to smashing computer screens in frustration, rather than being capable of making them or programming them.
This is a fair comment. While I think Klingon honor and society does make for an interesting tapestry, it does also somewhat clash for a supposedly space-faring species to be so reliant on what (on the outside) sometimes appears to be an apparently medieval mindset. At least in TOS the Klingons were a believable opposite to our own culture, and it was much easier to believe in them as being a technology sophisticated, space-faring (if somewhat brutal at times) people. The later incarnations of Trek sometimes went too far IMO in portraying them as primitive and backwards, to the point where it does rather undermine their credibility somewhat.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 04:31 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I have read the article and I agree! Star Trek does suck!

I have renounced it forever.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 04:45 AM   #9
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Nothing especially surprising. I think I actually remember reading that same article back in the day.

However:

weirdcrap guy wrote:
The best science fiction movies, in my opinion, are . . . Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Aliens, and maybe Jurassic Park
This is the same guy complaining about how TNG isn't highbrow enough to go beyond quoting Shakespeare. I am Calling Shenanigans.
Old November 29 2013, 05:27 AM   #10
CaptPapa
Commander

Brown Matter
Old November 29 2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
. . .From the article:

We have the Klingons, equally on par with the federation technologically, yet ruled by a singular fuedal warlord society. . .
This is a fair comment. . .it does also somewhat clash for a supposedly space-faring species to be. . .an apparently medieval mindset. At least in TOS the Klingons were a believable opposite to our own culture, and it was much easier to believe in them as being a technology sophisticated, space-faring (if somewhat brutal at times) people. . .
This may be why I was never wild about the Angry Klingons of the TOS films, or their 24th century descendants. When we first meet Klingons in 'Errand of Mercy", their culture and personality is modeled on the Soviet Union. Kor is quite a charming fellow, but knows when to be the tough guy. He and Kirk are reflections of each other, much the same, but different due to their cultures. Perhaps they're the genuine mirror universe of Terrans.

Angry Klingons became more prominent in the films, though when relations with the USSR began to ease, we started seeing men of honor among them shown. TNG had already picked up on Good and Bad Klingons, and began playing up the Honor and Glory and Loyalty shtick to operatic proportions.

Meanwhile, those more expensive TOS aliens the Romulans, were also shown to have a commander as noble and crafty as Kirk himself. They're later involved in an episode based on the Pueblo Incident, though they're the victim of Federation spies.

So by the 24th century, Honor has been snatched away from the Romulans, and given to the Klingons. This sort of leaves the Romulans floundering for a while until they decide to become better at espionage and sneakiness than the humans.

Then the Cardassians showed up and seemed to be a composite of Klingons and Romulans.
Old November 29 2013, 06:35 AM   #12
teacake
Admiral

Hey now what about the Shakespeare quoting erudite Klingons of TUC?

Those ones were the best.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2013, 06:38 AM   #13
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

what one that person didn't say. what one is so bad?.

teacake wrote: View Post
Hey now what about the Shakespeare quoting erudite Klingons of TUC?

Those ones were the best.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 07:01 AM   #14
teacake
Admiral

Azetbur ftw.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 29 2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Lance
Commodore

Revenge is a dish best served with croutons.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote