Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 27 2013, 04:57 PM   #541
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

I just received the Excelsior, Defiant, future Enterprise-D, and DS9 in one delivery. The DS9 model isn't all that impressive -- the fusion reactor was glued on at an offset angle of about 20° and the three deflector arrays on Ops weren't aligned correctly, so I had to fix both of those faults myself. The tower antennae were also missing from Ops but given the scale (1:10000) I'll overlook that. The accompanying magazine makes up for the model's deficiencies and includes a lot of info I hadn't seen before (although keen fans might not see anything new). The future Enterprise-D looks pretty much like a kit bash, no surprises there. There was no magazine with it. The Excelsior and Defiant models and magazines are just fine though. I didn't know the nose of the Defiant was a detachable "warhead" module nor that the ship itself had a shuttle bay (I wasn't paying attention I guess).
Old November 27 2013, 05:30 PM   #542
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Interesting. The Defiant did have a small shuttle bay bottom center, but I thought the front end was where the mess hall was. There was an episode when an unexploded Dominion torpedo penetrated the hull there, but I never thought that whole structure in the front was a "warhead" of any kind.
Old November 27 2013, 06:33 PM   #543
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Sans wrote: View Post
Thanks. After some problems with an international lock on my card, I came in late to the party. I wasn't sure what their billing timeline was.
Cool.

trekker670 wrote: View Post
My paypal account was just charged.
Mine too.
Old November 27 2013, 06:36 PM   #544
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
I just received the Excelsior, Defiant, future Enterprise-D, and DS9 in one delivery. The DS9 model isn't all that impressive -- the fusion reactor was glued on at an offset angle of about 20° and the three deflector arrays on Ops weren't aligned correctly, so I had to fix both of those faults myself. The tower antennae were also missing from Ops but given the scale (1:10000) I'll overlook that. The accompanying magazine makes up for the model's deficiencies and includes a lot of info I hadn't seen before (although keen fans might not see anything new). The future Enterprise-D looks pretty much like a kit bash, no surprises there. There was no magazine with it. The Excelsior and Defiant models and magazines are just fine though. I didn't know the nose of the Defiant was a detachable "warhead" module nor that the ship itself had a shuttle bay (I wasn't paying attention I guess).
I thought they pushed the model of the DS9 spacestation. They sent a note that we wouldn't be billed until December.

How did you get yours?
Old November 27 2013, 08:36 PM   #545
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I'm in the UK.

ETA:

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Interesting. The Defiant did have a small shuttle bay bottom center, but I thought the front end was where the mess hall was. There was an episode when an unexploded Dominion torpedo penetrated the hull there, but I never thought that whole structure in the front was a "warhead" of any kind.
Yeah, me too. Apparently, one of the novelisations has the warhead nose as a plot point. However, as it contains the main deflector array, it effectively screws the ship from travelling at warp. Bit of a design flaw I'd say.
Old November 27 2013, 10:50 PM   #546
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Apparently, one of the novelisations has the warhead nose as a plot point. However, as it contains the main deflector array, it effectively screws the ship from travelling at warp. Bit of a design flaw I'd say.
Since it was in the novels, and especially since it contradicts what was shown on-screen, I think it's safe to say that the nose was not a warhead.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 01:19 AM   #547
mythme
Commodore

This was an original design idea, also included in the DS9 tech manual. The warhead wasn't meant to be a defensive weapon, rather a last resort weapon. Surely included when battling the Borg. I suspect that the warhead was dropped by the time the Defiant was stationed at DS9. You wouldn't wanna have something go wrong with it while docked at a station holding 7000 innocents.
Old November 29 2013, 08:41 PM   #548
Sans
Lieutenant

I just received the Excelsior, Defiant, future Enterprise-D, and DS9 in one delivery. The DS9 model isn't all that impressive -- the fusion reactor was glued on at an offset angle of about 20° and the three deflector arrays on Ops weren't aligned correctly, so I had to fix both of those faults myself. The tower antennae were also missing from Ops but given the scale (1:10000)
Anyone else in the UK received theirs yet? If so, are you seeing the same issues?
Sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 09:54 PM   #549
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
Speaking of the Voyager model, how is everyone else's? So far....my Intrepid doesn't really fit on the stand. It just slips back out very easily, especially with how 'vertically' it sits on the base. As a result, my favourite Trek ship is still in her box.

Perhaps im just missing something but the Intrepid doesn't seem to 'click' onto the stand like the other models.
No but when I got my D7 the stand had been molded wrong so it was not straight leaning to the left so the ship would not sit properly. So I had to heat the stand up with a candle lighter and wait until the plastic was flexible and move the stand back to been straight !!! Took some doing but it's sitting better now !!
Old November 29 2013, 10:04 PM   #550
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Forbidden Planet UK doesn't even have the Defiant up for sale until December 15th, going to be ordering it soon.
Old November 30 2013, 12:17 AM   #551
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I just received the Excelsior, Defiant, future Enterprise-D, and DS9 in one delivery. The DS9 model isn't all that impressive -- the fusion reactor was glued on at an offset angle of about 20° and the three deflector arrays on Ops weren't aligned correctly, so I had to fix both of those faults myself. The tower antennae were also missing from Ops but given the scale (1:10000)
Anyone else in the UK received theirs yet? If so, are you seeing the same issues?
I saw my mates last night who has these on subscription and his DS9 looked great, I wouldn't say it's issues per say, just the poster being exceptionally picky.

I got my Excelsior earlier today and it looks great in with my other models.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 10:58 AM   #552
Kinggodzillak
Commander

This UK fan got a bumper box of goodies yesterday; the K'Tinga, the Excelsior, the Defiant, DS9, the four mags, the dedication plaque and a binder. Lovely stuff.

Only issue was that the parcel wasn't sealed. No tape on it at all, just a lot of plastic straps around it. Anyone could have reached in and taken something out, but luckily they didn't...
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 12:19 PM   #553
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
The DS9 model isn't all that impressive -- the fusion reactor was glued on at an offset angle of about 20° and the three deflector arrays on Ops weren't aligned correctly, so I had to fix both of those faults myself. The tower antennae were also missing from Ops but given the scale (1:10000)
I saw my mates last night who has these on subscription and his DS9 looked great, I wouldn't say it's issues per say, just the poster being exceptionally picky.
Well, that the model looked like it was a Friday afternoon job probably coloured my impression. Thankfully, it wasn't that well glued together so that I could fix it without breaking it. If the model were made by child labourers in a sweatshop in China (I don't know that is the case -- let's assume it's not), I should probably thank my lucky stars that I have nothing more to gripe about than a bit of haphazard assembly in my non-essential trinket.
Old November 30 2013, 02:14 PM   #554
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I got my DS9 model today; I was very impressed by it.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 02:21 PM   #555
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

mythme wrote: View Post
This was an original design idea, also included in the DS9 tech manual. The warhead wasn't meant to be a defensive weapon, rather a last resort weapon. Surely included when battling the Borg. I suspect that the warhead was dropped by the time the Defiant was stationed at DS9. You wouldn't wanna have something go wrong with it while docked at a station holding 7000 innocents.
In the novel Avatar, Nog remembers O'Brien saying ""Part of the auto-destruct system. The whole thing can be launched from here in a worst-case combat scenario, though I doubt it ever will be".
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote