Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 10 2013, 02:39 AM   #256
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Bob Orci: Spoke with CBS about returning Trek To TV

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
This is why we can't have nice things...

Repeated threads and polls and stuff like that have shown that you can't generalize about age as to who loved NuTrek and who didn't.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 02:40 AM   #257
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post

I calle these people that you mentioned above 'fundamentalists' after what Irshad Manji called Muslims who only believe in the founding moment of Islam, and can't get past it to make Islam part of the modern world in her book The Trouble with Islam Today. They don't want nothing, what the want is the original series back on TV, and Orci only gave them a modern version that they (many of whom I suspect are Tea Party members who used to be liberal who are now conservatives with some liberal leanings, so that they can still be Star Trek fans) can't stand, especially the expanded role given to Uhura and her love of Spock (which Roddenberry would have gotten a kick out of, I'll bet!) and the better characterization of all of the characters (making Kirk a flawed person who still has to grow was a great masterstroke.)

What they want is something like Star Trek: Phase II to be made into a full TV show that would air on CBS, The CW, or Showtime, but that won't ever happen, and they know that. That's why they hate the new movies so much, as well as the fact that Star Trek has been revived and is now doing better, and with a younger generation of people. So, lemming like, they fight the new movies and the fans of them, much like the fans of classic BSG hate the new BSG-a sad state of affairs.
Yeah. I think we may be wandering a bit far afield here.
Sorry about that, but that's how I think that these fans feel and act about the new movies.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 06:31 PM   #258
Opus
Commodore

It's definitely one... something you've got goin' there...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 09:39 PM   #259
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander

What they want is something like Star Trek: Phase II to be made into a full TV show that would air on CBS, The CW, or Showtime, but that won't ever happen, and they know that. That's why they hate the new movies so much, as well as the fact that Star Trek has been revived and is now doing better, and with a younger generation of people.
What gives you the idea it is doing better? See any TV show? See your younger generation of people on the boards or conventions? the money they made, is this your reference of how Trek is doing?
This younger generation will dump trek fast, very fast. They will forget about Spock et all as soon as they lift their behinds out of the theatre chairs.
And NO, they not want ST Phase II, they want nerdy things, like discovering new planets, or difficult science made easy, or unthinkable things happen, like peace with Klingons, or white people kissing black people.
What they not want is Marvell's Star Trek.
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 09:50 PM   #260
CorporalClegg
Admiral

wjaspers wrote: View Post
the money they made, is this your reference of how Trek is doing?
It's the only reference, or rather indicator, that matters.

This younger generation will dump trek fast, very fast. They will forget about Spock et all as soon as they lift their behinds out of the theatre chairs.
Citation required.

And NO, they not want ST Phase II, they want nerdy things, like discovering new planets, or difficult science made easy, or unthinkable things happen, like peace with Klingons, or white people kissing black people.
Wut?
Old November 26 2013, 09:58 PM   #261
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

What they want is something like Star Trek: Phase II to be made into a full TV show that would air on CBS, The CW, or Showtime, but that won't ever happen, and they know that. That's why they hate the new movies so much, as well as the fact that Star Trek has been revived and is now doing better, and with a younger generation of people.
What gives you the idea it is doing better? See any TV show? See your younger generation of people on the boards or conventions? the money they made, is this your reference of how Trek is doing?
White people kissing black people is unthinkable?
Old November 26 2013, 10:05 PM   #262
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

They would've dumped it very fast in the 70's, 80's and 90's as well if they had the access to all the things we have now. Trek came at the right time to capitalize on a changing culture and it helped being the only game in town.

I don't believe Trek will ever again have the long term success in had over those thirty years. For a long time, it was King. But all King's eventually die.
Old November 26 2013, 11:01 PM   #263
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I hope I'm as much fun as Trek when I'm on the verge of death.
Old November 27 2013, 12:47 AM   #264
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Do you remember how after he was dug up Richard III was again hot? EVERYONE was talking about him..

This is what the future will be for Trek, the King.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 01:18 AM   #265
CorporalClegg
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
This is what the future will be for Trek, the King.
Seems grave.
Old November 27 2013, 02:28 AM   #266
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

But, but, but Marvel's Thor has a black Heimdal!
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 03:09 AM   #267
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I do love that people are giving us richly over the top rhetoric about "fundamentalists" at the same time as portraying Bob Orci as an "artist."
Old November 27 2013, 03:53 AM   #268
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

BigJake wrote: View Post
I do love that people are giving us richly over the top rhetoric about "fundamentalists" at the same time as portraying Bob Orci as an "artist."
Fact is, I really wanted the discussion of "fundamentalists" to go away. That's not what we're here for.

Talk about the possibility of a TV series; talk about Orci's comments on the subject; talk about potential audience for such a series generally, if we must, but let's steer away from criticism of specific segments of the fan base, as that tends not to end well.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 03:56 AM   #269
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

White people kissing black people is unthinkable?
I've done the unthinkable!!!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 04:08 AM   #270
BigJake
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
BigJake wrote: View Post
Fact is, I really wanted the discussion of "fundamentalists" to go away. That's not what we're here for.
Amen to that. So to speak.

wjaspers wrote:
Marvell's Star Trek.
It would be awesome if this were a reference to the Marvell Cosmetology brand...