Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 24 2013, 10:46 PM   #1111
CrazyMatt
Commander

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

[QUOTE=Garrovick;7658290I really wish Sol Kaplan had scored more TOS episodes. The track where the two Kirk's confront each other in the engine room is my all-time single favorite track of ST music. I'd have almost been willing to pay the $200 for "The Enemy Within" alone. I just wonder how it would have been if he had scored some episodes that were actually scored with music from other episodes - I'd love to hear an original Kaplan score for "The Galileo Seven" or "Arena" or "Obsession".[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes... while I really enjoy the work of a number of the other composers, the soundtracks to "The Enemy Within" and "The Doomsday Machine" were IMHO the most powerful of the first two production seasons, respectively.

In any case, this collection is worth every penny and more. It is one of the brightest highlights of my rather extensive musical collection.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 08:51 PM   #1112
DarthBrett
Ensign

I believe I have found music that is indeed missing from this set...or I just cannot find it anywhere and am ready to pull my hair out.

I was crazy enough to actually start doing every episode's edited score...tracked and all spliced up. I just started Miri and found a scene that has music that I believe is nowhere to be found on this set. The scene is when Kirk is sitting with Miri and they are talking and they first notice Kirk has the disease. The music heard is obviously Mullendore and is a very romantic version of the main theme. It sounds very similar to the library cues, but it is very different. Also sounds like the Kirk & Lenore cue from Conscience of the King as well.

Can anybody verify this with me? The scene is roughly 14:30 minutes into the episode. My theory is maybe one of the Library cues is incomplete. I even messed around with the pitch on those specific tracks, but it is definitely a different cue. The cue in question is the Trek theme done very romantically, but only with flutes.

I couldn't find any info about this and was wondering if anybody else had noticed this cue is MIA.

I hope I may be wrong...overlooked it and it is on the set.
DarthBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 08:02 PM   #1113
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Sorry I can't help ya, DB, I thought the Kirk & Lenore cue was it.

I have to say, this set has been out just shy of a year and I'm still playing it. Not exclusively, mind you, but often enough. This really is the soundtrack of my lifetime and I never tire of it. My favorite music. Ever.
Old November 26 2013, 08:10 PM   #1114
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I would tend to agree with ssosmcin. This set might just have been the best $200 I've ever spent. Bravo, to La-La Land and thank you for such a wonderful product!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 09:47 PM   #1115
feek61
Captain

^
What he said. I never tire of the set and it was WELL worth the money.
Old November 27 2013, 04:15 AM   #1116
ACE
Lieutenant

DarthBrett, I haven't tackled the Miri soundtrack, yet. I'm still working on tracking City On the Edge of Forever. However, I think the piece you are looking for with Kirk and Miri is one of the library tracks located on Disc 5, Track 11: "Lonely to Dramatic" at about 8 or 9 seconds in.
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 05:58 AM   #1117
DarthBrett
Ensign

I did check all of the library cues and it is not any of them. It is very similar though. Those cues were done by Mullendore and also used for Miri so I would assume they were all recorded the same day. For whatever reason, this cue does appear to be missing from the set.

I absolutely loved this set of music and by no means am disappointed with it. I love it!
Old November 28 2013, 10:24 PM   #1118
CrazyMatt
Commander

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I would tend to agree with ssosmcin. This set might just have been the best $200 I've ever spent. Bravo, to La-La Land and thank you for such a wonderful product!
Ditto.
Old November 29 2013, 06:40 PM   #1119
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

feek61 wrote: View Post
^
What he said. I never tire of the set and it was WELL worth the money.
Same here. A year on, and I've probably played the entire set at least twenty times (okay, that's probably an exaggeration, since I listen to the recent re-releases of the movies alot too).

I never tire of this music either.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 04:14 AM   #1120
DarthBrett
Ensign

So I finally checked my old VHS copies of the Laser-discs...the cue in Miri is the same. So, we do have a cue that is missing on the set. I am curious what happened and if it was omitted due to damage or lost masters, or if it was an oversight/mistake?
Old December 10 2013, 03:57 PM   #1121
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Ok, where's Neil?
Old December 10 2013, 05:54 PM   #1122
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I can't say for certain, but I seem to recall that he got sick of all the negativity and the entitled and demanding nature this thread took on for a while after the initial release. I wouldn't be surprised if he just decided to not come back after all that. I know if I had made myself available to answer questions and take time out of my super busy schedule to read through everything here, I'd be pretty irritated if it had happened to me.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 06:27 PM   #1123
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I can't say for certain, but I seem to recall that he got sick of all the negativity and the entitled and demanding nature this thread took on for a while after the initial release. I wouldn't be surprised if he just decided to not come back after all that. I know if I had made myself available to answer questions and take time out of my super busy schedule to read through everything here, I'd be pretty irritated if it had happened to me.
Can't argue with that, I'm afraid.
Old December 10 2013, 07:07 PM   #1124
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Agreed.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 04:56 PM   #1125
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did post questions a while back concerning a possible missing cue from 'Spock's Brain', if some of you may recall. (One that I still believe to be missing from the set, after countless listens.) It was not my intention to come across as negative and ungrateful, I was just asking out of curiosity, as I was pretty certain it couldn't be found on the set, and my questions were left to be opened up by anyone here, not targeted at Neil. This is a beautiful set, one that the team at La La Land should be proud of, but inevitably, avid fans such as ourselves, may have a question or two regarding the set. This is not criticism, just passion for a show we love. I understand, however, how some people, including Neil, may have perceived this as negative.
The Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote