Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 25 2013, 11:17 PM   #76
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

I would like to know, how did Clara, of all people, did not recognize the curator as the Doctor?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 12:13 AM   #77
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Because it wasn't the Doctor. And it was.

It was Tom Baker and the franchise making up and making it right with the fans. It's just not worth reading anything into, as that takes the magic away.
Old November 26 2013, 01:05 AM   #78
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Capaldi in Torchwood most certainly was not The Doctor.
My mind was just blown.
So was his.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 01:57 AM   #79
Wereghost
Commodore

Frobisher the whifferdill.
Alternate universe Doctor (imagine Tom Baker having Tennant's adventures).
The White Guardian or other Q-like being.
Obsessive Gallifreyan fan from after the return of Gallifrey.
Retired Doctor (I really like this one).

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Or – and this was my reading of it – it's Moffat laying the first hint at this:

We are aware that Peter Capaldi’s played a big old part in Doctor Who before and we’re not going to ignore the fact… and Torchwood. I’ll let you in on this. I remember Russell [T Davies] told me he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldis in the Who universe, one in Pompei and one in Torchwood. When I cast Peter and [Russell] got in touch to say how pleased he was I said “Okay, what was your theory and does it still work?” and he said “Yes it does, here it is.” So I don’t know if we’ll get to it… we’ll play that one out over time. It’s actually quite neat.
The big fun question is, we know that the Doctor when he regenerates, the faces… it’s not set from birth, it’s not that he was always going to be one day Peter Capaldi. We know that’s the case because in The War Games he has a choice of face and all that. We know it’s not set so where does he get those faces from? They can’t just be randomly generated because they’ve got lines and they’ve aged. When he turns into Peter he’ll actually have lines on his face – sorry Peter – so where did that face come from?
Source.

Along with that whole bit about the Doctor 'going home' to Gallifrey, it seemed like the whole last ten minutes were all about seeding the future story arcs post-Smith.
This is intriguing (I mean the application to the "curator").

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
The Curator was a crafty Zygon who bamboozled The Doctor enough to leave him alone.
And clearly a fan.

Must rewatch that to see if he had a fob watch.

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
My mind was just blown.
So was his.
Old November 26 2013, 05:37 AM   #80
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Tom wrote: View Post
The dialogue was written so it is ambiguous!! 'Maybe I was you" , 'Or maybe you are me". "Or maybe it does not matter either way" . Just another Moffat nugget for fans to argue about. LOL
I was trying to remember the quote. It was whimsically ambiguous and I don't have a problem with that.

After all, Who knows?
Old November 26 2013, 07:35 AM   #81
Sparky
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
The dialogue was written so it is ambiguous!! 'Maybe I was you" , 'Or maybe you are me". "Or maybe it does not matter either way" . Just another Moffat nugget for fans to argue about. LOL
I was trying to remember the quote. It was whimsically ambiguous and I don't have a problem with that.

After all, Who knows?
The dialogue was so perfectly Tom Baker that after I had picked my jaw up off the floor I was grinning from ear to ear. Personally I'm going with he's a future Doctor who has retired. Every few centuries he pops over to Karn for a pick me up regen elixir.
Old November 26 2013, 06:31 PM   #82
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

You know, I just realized the joke behind his appearence. Tom Baker plays Doctor Who.

"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:37 PM   #83
Iamnotspock
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
In my mind, he was exactly who he appeared to be -- the fourth Doctor, aged and infirm. Somehow, in some way, he retired and grew old like his old mentor, Professor Chronotis. I don't know if he was from an alternate timeline. Don't care, really, especially since I doubt we'll ever see him again.

He's a character for the fans. Like Wormhole says, he's who we want him to be.
The best theory I've read so far is that he's an alternate version of the fourth Doctor who was taken out of time by Bad Wolf/The Moment (who may also have been the Watcher) at the point of his regeneration and allowed to live on.

"It's the end, but the Moment has been prepared for."
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 08:12 PM   #84
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I would like to know, how did Clara, of all people, did not recognize the curator as the Doctor?
Because when she went into the Doctor's time stream, there was only 11 (12) faces to see. The Curator is a future version of the Doctor, so hasn't yet--at the point Clara jumped in--become a part of the current Doctor's time stream.

Basically the same reason she didn't see Capaldi's Doctor.
Old November 26 2013, 08:32 PM   #85
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

But it's the same face as the fourth Doctor, just a little older and the same voice.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 08:41 PM   #86
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I didn't think it was ambiguous at all. It's pretty clear--well as clear as it can be with Tom Baker--that he's a distant future regeneration of The Doctor who has somehow chosen to become some of his old selves again.

"I never forget a face."
"In years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favourites."

It's all done with a nudge and a wink (to give future writers some wiggle room no doubt) and I suppose it's not explicitly spelled out, but I'd hardly call it a mystery.

P.S. Small point, but didn't Elizabeth I specifically name The Doctor as the curator of the gallery?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 10:26 PM   #87
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post

"I never forget a face."
"In years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favourites."

I suspect, more than anything, it's a wink at the fans who like to revisit their favorite (Favourite) Doctors and episodes on DVD and it was deliberately written in a manner that can be interpreted in the way you suggest.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 10:28 PM   #88
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
But it's the same face as the fourth Doctor, just a little older and the same voice.
Fair point. Perhaps Clara IS the Impossible Girl. The impossibly STUPID girl.

That's my new explanation.
Old November 26 2013, 10:40 PM   #89
RoJoHen
Awesome

There's no telling exactly what Clara remembers from the Doctor's past. Sure, maybe she saw all the faces, but she was disoriented and then passed out. Especially if it's been years since the events of "Name of the Doctor," there's no reason she'd remember all of his faces clearly.
Old November 26 2013, 10:47 PM   #90
Reverend
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
There's no telling exactly what Clara remembers from the Doctor's past. Sure, maybe she saw all the faces, but she was disoriented and then passed out. Especially if it's been years since the events of "Name of the Doctor," there's no reason she'd remember all of his faces clearly.
Plus of course he looks a good 40 years older, has put on weight, has shorter hair that is now very much white and is wearing his signature hat, coat and scarf (which he apparently lent to that asthmatic girl) and did in fact totally fail to offer anyone a jelly baby.

...on the other hand, maybe she did recognise him and just felt like surprising *her* Doctor.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post

"I never forget a face."

I suspect, more than anything, it's a wink at the fans who like to revisit their favorite (Favourite) Doctors and episodes on DVD and it was deliberately written in a manner that can be interpreted in the way you suggest.
Maybe, but in the context of the story...he's the Doctor.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote