Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: More popular worldwide: Trek or Doctor Who?

TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
With all the series and movies I'd definitely say that overall, Star Trek is more popular.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:08 AM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Next to Star Trek and the domestic "Raumpatrouille Orion" Gerry Anderson's television shows (e.g. "U.F.O.", "Space 1999") were popular in Germany. I'd say this would be the general reply: "Doctor Who?!?"

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:57 AM   #18
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I'll say this for the BBC though, they've done a first rate job marketing/promoting the hell out of the whole 50th anniversary thing.

A special on the "science of Doctor Who", documentaries, a docu-drama on the origins of the show, news stories, a DW celebrity edition of game show "Pointless", talk shows, endless inserts bewteen programming etc, etc.

I really hope CBS/Paramount take heed of it, pull out the stops, and really go to town when it's Trek's turn.
Old November 24 2013, 02:05 AM   #19
Relayer1
Commodore

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
TheGoodStuff wrote: View Post
With all the series and movies I'd definitely say that overall, Star Trek is more popular.
Agree.
However, how many episodes of Trek have been broadcast simultaneously in 94 countries...
Old November 24 2013, 02:36 AM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

There is also the small matter that DW has more episodes than all of ST combined. ST amounts to 28 years on TV (3 TOS, 7 TNG/DSN/VOY, 4 ENT). DW almost had that many in the classic era 26 years. There is also 2 movies based on it.

DW got mentioned several times in the show "Leverage" i.e. several of the characters alias where actors to have played The Doctor.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:29 AM   #21
Lucky
Commander

I'd say Star Trek is. But Doctor Who has more buzz right now as it is airing new episodes.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:36 AM   #22
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
You know I would call a simul-cast of the 50th Anniversary episode in 90 countries, worldwide.
I thought the number was 94, but wasn't that basically a one time stunt, with the show typically playing in less that half that number of countries?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:06 AM   #23
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I'll say this for the BBC though, they've done a first rate job marketing/promoting the hell out of the whole 50th anniversary thing.

A special on the "science of Doctor Who", documentaries, a docu-drama on the origins of the show, news stories, a DW celebrity edition of game show "Pointless", talk shows, endless inserts bewteen programming etc, etc.

I really hope CBS/Paramount take heed of it, pull out the stops, and really go to town when it's Trek's turn.
Well said.

I agree, BBC have nailed this. Let's hope Trek (my personal favourite of the two) can go one better.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:25 AM   #24
Dream
Admiral

Star Wars is more popular than both.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 05:44 AM   #25
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

When it comes to shear numbers of episodes ... General Hospital (12,945), now that's popularity.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 10:53 AM   #26
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Star Trek is way more popular imo and it is far superior in every way. Dr Who is, and always has been, a crap show with crap characters and god-awful production values.
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 11:43 AM   #27
Relayer1
Commodore

wahwahkits wrote: View Post
Star Trek is way more popular imo and it is far superior in every way. Dr Who is, and always has been, a crap show with crap characters and god-awful production values.
Not a fan then ?

I love Trek but there's room in my life for Who as well. And I've loved Star Wars for decades too. They're all very different with their own strengths and weaknesses...
Old November 24 2013, 03:06 PM   #28
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

wahwahkits wrote: View Post
Even the Tom Baker years?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:58 PM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

Tom Baker's overrated, IMO. The Jon Pertwee years are when classic Who was at its prime.
Old November 24 2013, 03:58 PM   #30
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Everybody knows Star Trek, especially in its prime when EVERYBODY, not just us geeky-types, watched. It was mainstream.

Dr. Who is much more niche. It may be more "popular" now in that group, but that's only because it is current. It has never been mainstream, especially world-wide, and I don't think it ever will.

I know of the 50th anniversary episode, but that's only through ads in comics and an article here or there on boards like this (where, in this thread, I just learned there is a documentary and more coming as well). If not for that, I wouldn't know about it and anybody who doesn't live in England and has never seen an episode has zero clue there's anything special coming up.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote