Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 24 2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
I think Baker was playing a guy who just happened to look like an older version of the Fourth Doctor, who was replying to some young guy's comments on "retiring" and becoming a "great curator". I don't think Baker was playing a future Doctor at all. I think it was just a wink at the fans. I'd be surprised if anything more comes of it.
I don't think he was playing a specific incarnation or that there is any story to be told there and none ever will be. I personally like to think that he is the man the Doctor becomes when he has saved everyone he can save, seen everything he can see; the man he ends up as when his time-stream has become so knotted after innumerable centuries in the TARDIS that he finds one of the few points in reality in which he can exist without imploding the whole wibbly-wobbly mess and finally retires to rest his old bones in a favorite time on a favorite planet.
This. The Doctor taken up fishing, painting, retirement stuff.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 07:44 AM   #17
Pavonis
Commodore

Hard to imagine the Doctor retiring. He already feels like he's made the Universe his backyard. The Universe, as much as he loves it, is mundane to him, which is his motivation to bring companions along on his travels. So what more does he need to do to motivate retirement? I suppose if he managed to exist at every point in the Universe, that might motivate him to seek a quiet corner of the Universe and curate.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Nothing says he can't come out of retirement with another regeneration.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 07:57 AM   #19
inflatabledalek
Captain

I think one thing worth remembering is that Clara only assumes he's The Curator, there's no indication he is in any way shape or form really working there, let alone he's retired.

I think the line about faces being reused was there as a handwave for people who absolutely had to have at least a token explanation (the people who are already plotting their Big Finish audio where UNIT meet Susan and Kamelian), otherwise it was a fourth wall shattering moment with Tom Baker just wandering into the show being himself.
Old November 24 2013, 08:20 AM   #20
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Brent wrote: View Post
It's a wink to the fans, nothing more.

We should take it on face value for what it is and thank Tom Baker for appearing on Doctor Who again.

I appreciate the fanwank, nothing more will become of it, or is supposed to become of it, period.
Brent wrote: View Post
Scratch that, I take back everything I just said

I just watched the ending again, Tom specifically says that he ends up re-using past faces, "only the favorites"

Everything I just saw leads me to believe he is indeed a FUTURE doctor, well past the regeneration limit, and The Doctor has re-used one of his past faces, and simply aged.

So yes, a future doctor, using a past face.
Well, it's both, isn't it? It is a future Doctor using a past face, AND it is a nice wink to the fans out of which nothing more will come out.
Old November 24 2013, 09:07 AM   #21
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I think you'd have to be intentionally obtuse not to see the obvious: the Curator is the final Doctor. There's really no ambiguity. He gives Eleven(Twelve) hope that Trenzalore isn't as fixed a final resting place as it might appear.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 09:16 AM   #22
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
I think you'd have to be intentionally obtuse not to see the obvious: the Curator is the final Doctor. There's really no ambiguity.
There's no ambiguity about the fact that he's a future Doctor, but there's no way to know if he's supposed to be the final Doctor.
Old November 24 2013, 09:16 AM   #23
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

11 winks at him, it's pretty clear that he's the Doctor who has finally settled down and retired. I like the idea of him being the last Doctor.

He could also be Tom Baker who wandered onto the set and began speaking to Matt Smith who was on break.
Old November 24 2013, 09:24 AM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
11 winks at him, it's pretty clear that he's the Doctor who has finally settled down and retired. I like the idea of him being the last Doctor.

He could also be Tom Baker who wandered onto the set and began speaking to Matt Smith who was on break.
Or a Zygon.
Old November 24 2013, 09:26 AM   #25
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

He's a later Doctor, possibly the last, but I like the lack of certainty on the subject.
Old November 24 2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Australis
Writer

Essentially, he's Moffat's version of the Woman in White from The End of Time. The Woman, of course was intended by RTD to be the Doctor's mother but her identity wasn't stated on screen so that she could be whoever the fans wanted her to be.
I thought she was Susan. Put photos of them side by side, you'll see why.

As to Baker, a later (but not final) regeneration, going back to an old favourite face. And yes, they don't need to do any more than that, leave it there.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 10:20 AM   #27
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Australis wrote: View Post
Essentially, he's Moffat's version of the Woman in White from The End of Time. The Woman, of course was intended by RTD to be the Doctor's mother but her identity wasn't stated on screen so that she could be whoever the fans wanted her to be.
I thought she was Susan. Put photos of them side by side, you'll see why.
You know, I DO think so too. Which would be great - it means that, if the Doctor ever finds Gallifrey again, he can find his own granddaughter again.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 10:20 AM   #28
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Just finished watchin' it, and while I agree that it was both a wink to the fans (the line about revisitin' favorites) and a future regeneration of the Doctor.

I just hope its not the last regeneration, 'cause that would be kind of dull...
Old November 24 2013, 10:26 AM   #29
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Or – and this was my reading of it – it's Moffat laying the first hint at this:

We are aware that Peter Capaldi’s played a big old part in Doctor Who before and we’re not going to ignore the fact… and Torchwood. I’ll let you in on this. I remember Russell [T Davies] told me he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldis in the Who universe, one in Pompei and one in Torchwood. When I cast Peter and [Russell] got in touch to say how pleased he was I said “Okay, what was your theory and does it still work?” and he said “Yes it does, here it is.” So I don’t know if we’ll get to it… we’ll play that one out over time. It’s actually quite neat.
The big fun question is, we know that the Doctor when he regenerates, the faces… it’s not set from birth, it’s not that he was always going to be one day Peter Capaldi. We know that’s the case because in The War Games he has a choice of face and all that. We know it’s not set so where does he get those faces from? They can’t just be randomly generated because they’ve got lines and they’ve aged. When he turns into Peter he’ll actually have lines on his face – sorry Peter – so where did that face come from?
Source.

Along with that whole bit about the Doctor 'going home' to Gallifrey, it seemed like the whole last ten minutes were all about seeding the future story arcs post-Smith.
Old November 24 2013, 10:27 AM   #30
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

I'll go with him being the 4th Doctor aged up due to shorting out the time differential (see "Time Crash").

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Smith: I could be a curator. I'ld be great at curating. I'ld be... The Great Curator. Ha ha, I could retire and do that. I could retire and be the curator of this place.

Baker: You know, I really think you might.

Smith, staring in astonishment: I never forget a face.

Baker: I know you don't. And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few, but just the old favorites.

Read what you will into those lines, I took it to mean a future reincarnation of The Doctor, beyond the 13th. A Doctor who's retired and taken up curating.
To me "And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few" comes off more as a reference to him crossing his own time stream, which he has a tendency to do, rather than him reusing old faces. The "but just the old favorites." crack was a rather cheeky fourth wall joke alluding to the fact only fan favorites Tom Baker (4th) and David Tennant (11th) reprised there roles for the special.