Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #136
selina
Fleet Captain

Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

I absolutely loved it. I am so glad that I went to see the special in a cinema, even though the entrance fee was too high. But this was totally worth it. I even enjoyed the 3D, which was much better IMHO than the 3D version of the first Hobbit movie. I would really like to watch it again on a big screen (Doctor Who, not The Hobbit).
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 12:59 AM   #137
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

First, Doctor Hurt regenerated because he was no longer needed (the warrior that 8 requested to be). That's why he said something like "it figures".
Second, Baker was a future regen and this also ties into face picking abilities that may be used explaining Capaldi.

Third, and slightly off topic, watching EOT and I am pissed they cut the book signing and Sigma's sing you to sleep speech
Old November 24 2013, 01:16 AM   #138
Wereghost
Commodore

Pindar wrote: View Post
Fantastic, seeing it on the big screen was a treat and the 3D was pretty good.

The bit with Strax doing the no phones and be quiet bit at the start of the screening was a hoot.
Same here on all counts. The intro with Smith was equally great.

For me, this was hands down the greatest multi-Doctor episode and one of Moffat's very best. The interaction between Smith, Tennant and Hurt, or any combination thereof, was priceless.

Aside from that, there were so many wonderful moments (Roundels. Baker. "It wasn't locked.") that it's hard to choose a favourite, but if I had to I'd probably go for the Capaldi moment ("No, sir. All thirteen").

There are some niggles, though. The Elizabeth I scenes appear to happen a couple of years too early in the Doctor's timeline (unless the wedding scene happens two years after the rest of the episode for him). The age of Hurt's Doctor (both actual and biological) is equally problematic. If the regeneration into Eccleston is when he's 800ish, then it looks like we can chop a few centuries from every mention of the Doctor's age in the original run. I kind of wish the Moff had used the opportunity to clear up the apparent discrepancy between the Doctor's ages as stated in OldWho and NuWho. It wouldn't have been too difficult, either.

But those are minor issues and observations. I think this episode is one for the ages, not to mention being one for all ages.

Last edited by Wereghost; November 24 2013 at 02:07 AM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:20 AM   #139
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Edit. Never mind. It sounded better in my head.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:25 AM   #140
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

The curator makes more sense on a 2nd viewing. Another version of this Doctor or the next it seems. Great to see Tom Baker he had said that he'd regretted not appearing in the 25th anniversary. But he got the chance here and what an impact it had.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:26 AM   #141
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

G2309 wrote: View Post
The curator makes more sense on a 2nd viewing. Another version of this Doctor or the next it seems. Great to see Tom Baker he had said that he'd regretted not appearing in the 25th anniversary. But he got the chance here and what an impact it had.
The Five(ish) Doctor's makes funny reference to that.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:27 AM   #142
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

It's going to take me a little while to process this but I do have this to write. It seems as if everyone is saying Rose wasn't our Rose but I beg to differ. Given she had the whole of The Time Vortex within her and that she scattered clues for her self through out time and space it's not all that unlikely that she would have appeared to The War Doctor.

So I suppose technically, it was her but not her. I think it would have made more sense if the consciousness of The Moment had been Clara since there is a version of Clara running around on Galifrey somewhere.
Old November 24 2013, 01:29 AM   #143
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

That was a lot of fun, Tennant never felt intrusive or out-of-place, and Hurt was quite entertaining. The interplay between the three Doctors was nicely done with Hurt being able to take the piss out of both the others at times. Billie worried me for a minute when she started using funny voices but worked out OK.

My only complaint, if you'd call it that, is that it was an odd tonal shift after the last episode.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:32 AM   #144
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Wasn't as good as I thought it would it,love see the fourth doctor? back on the small screen.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:47 AM   #145
Pavonis
Commodore

Yminale wrote: View Post
[ I kind of wish the Moff had used the opportunity to clear up the apparent discrepancy between the Doctor's ages as stated in OldWho and NuWho. It wouldn't have been too difficult, either.
But Moffat's policy for writing DW has always been that the Doctor doesn't really know how old he is anymore, and he had Smith's Doctor say that outright. Which makes sense - how does a Time Lord gauge their own age? It's not like he had even Gallifrey's orbit to refer to for the passage of time, and after you've been from one of the Universe to the other (both in time and space), what does "age" mean anymore? The fact that there were about 400 years between Hurt's Doctor and Smith's Doctor is a guess, at best, both in-universe and out-of-universe.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
My only complaint, if you'd call it that, is that it was an odd tonal shift after the last episode.
Good point. The previous episode had Smith's Doctor in his own timestream, holding Clara, and this one opens with Clara working as a teacher and the Doctor in the TARDIS. What happened in between? Did the Doctor just walk back out of his timestream to Trenzalore and the waiting Paternoster gang?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:49 AM   #146
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Yminale wrote: View Post
[ I kind of wish the Moff had used the opportunity to clear up the apparent discrepancy between the Doctor's ages as stated in OldWho and NuWho. It wouldn't have been too difficult, either.
But Moffat's policy for writing DW has always been that the Doctor doesn't really know how old he is anymore, and he had Smith's Doctor say that outright. Which makes sense - how does a Time Lord gauge their own age? It's not like he had even Gallifrey's orbit to refer to for the passage of time, and after you've been from one of the Universe to the other (both in time and space), what does "age" mean anymore? The fact that there were about 400 years between Hurt's Doctor and Smith's Doctor is a guess, at best, both in-universe and out-of-universe.
I'd like to think there is a huge blackboard somewhere in the TARDIS with a 1000+ hash marks
Old November 24 2013, 01:53 AM   #147
Pavonis
Commodore

PorthosShadow wrote: View Post
I'd like to think there is a huge blackboard somewhere in the TARDIS with a 1000+ hash marks
When would he know to make a mark, though? And what does he need to know his age for?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 01:55 AM   #148
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Well, I would assume that back in the day the TARDIS would at all times maintain a relative connection to some kind of master clock on Gallifrey maybe.
Once The planet is stuck in time stasis that connection is lost and the Doctor couldn't track his age anymore.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 02:02 AM   #149
Relayer1
Commodore

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Well, I would assume that back in the day the TARDIS would at all times maintain a relative connection to some kind of master clock on Gallifrey maybe.
Once The planet is stuck in time stasis that connection is lost and the Doctor couldn't track his age anymore.
I would think there's a chronometer in his screwdriver, measuring off his personal timeline...
Old November 24 2013, 02:03 AM   #150
Australis
Writer

Jono wrote: View Post
Apart from the final scene it didn't leave me with that feeling of wanting to watch it again. It was good but not spectacular.
Your definition of spectacular is completely different to mine then
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote