Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: So what did you think?
Brilliant: Geronimo. 188 77.69%
Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool! 38 15.70%
Ok: Come along Ponds. 10 4.13%
Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard. 5 2.07%
Terrible: Who da man? 1 0.41%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23 2013, 11:27 PM   #91
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Well, that was a blast to watch, although at the same time I feel kind of let down. The episode felt like a rush job, we start off with Clara now a school teacher with no explanation of what the hell happened after the cliffhanger scene in Name of the Doctor. That kind of annoyed me.

I've been trying all summer to "correct" people who claim John Hurt is just a replacement because Christopher Eccleston turned things down, feeling that with the way the cliffhanger scene played out they would have had Hurt there anyway, but now I'm not so sure. Yes, Hurt was awesome and perfect for the role but it really kind of felt like it was originally written for Eccleston.

Okay, so the big problem with Gallifrey being back is that Rassilon is still Lord President, since all this takes place before all we saw in The End of Time. And since he's bent on eradicating all time and space, well, won't he still try to do that? Doesn't this sappy "think of the children" reset button kind of ignore the fact that the Time Lords posed just as much a threat as the Daleks did? For that matter, isn't everything we just saw in The End of Time now undone?

Now onto the Nitpicks:

-Upon hearing "timey-wimey" the War Doctor is shocked and asks "do you actually talk like that?" However, back in Time Crash (which is canon according to Moffat) the Fifth Doctor recognized the term and even used it.

-Likewise, upon seeing the Tenth Doctor, the Eleventh comments "I've never seen you from the outside before." But again, the Fifth Doctor did.

And finally, a question. They aren't exactly too clear but is John Hurt's regeneration supposed to be the result of natural causes?

Fun to watch with various nods to the classic era, great revisiting Tennant, even cool to see Capaldi and Tom Baker's cameo was a nice moment. But not really a perfect episode. But then, what could be?

Oh, almost forgot, what are our predictions for when the Doctor will find Gallifrey? I'm thinking it'll be the arc for Capaldi's first season.
Old November 23 2013, 11:28 PM   #92
Jax
Admiral

Well Moffat gets the official say at show runner though the next show runner can change it though fans can disagree of course and do waht they want but if memory serves right The War Doctor is its own category and the numbers do not change for the others...Am happy with that to be fair.

I would like Moffat to address that Capaldi's Doctor is techinally the final regeneration in terms of using up that energy but an easy way out is the return of the Time Lords can grant him more lives lets say another 13
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:28 PM   #93
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
And I suppose it's a good question -- should we call Capaldi the Twelfth Doctor or the Thirteenth? And what do we call Hurt now? Or, for that matter, Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith? We could go in real-world order of casting, but then that would make Hurt the 12th. This is so confusing.
Well, the first time someone has explicitely mentioned the Doctor's number in dialogue was in "The Name of the Doctor", so it's not as if these things really come up that often.
In The Five Doctors, Hurndall says something like "so there are five of me now"

In The Lodger, Smith points to himself and says "the eleventh" during the mind-meld scene.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #94
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

And finally, a question. They aren't exactly too clear but is John Hurt's regeneration supposed to be the result of natural causes?
He was worn out, hence the use of the first doctor's regeneration line.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #95
Pavonis
Commodore

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
@Timelord Victorious: Dalek Caan retrieved Davros from the jaws of the Nightmare Child, during a battle in the "first year" of the war (how many years does a Time War have?). Dammit - I hate fast-moving threads! :laugh:
Good point.

And the war had many years, since the Hurt Doctor said he fought it for a long time.
Yeah, but it's a Time War - a war fought across time itself. Which years count as part of a time war, then?

Frankly, as nice as it was to get a glimpse of the Time War and a war-ravaged Gallifrey, I was a bit disappointed, too. The mystery of the Time War, fought by "two almighty civilizations" as the Master put it, was that we really couldn't comprehend what that kind of war would be like. But apparently it's just a bunch of Daleks shooting at soldiers. Could've been any war from any era. Took a lot of mystery out of it.

As I was typing this, I noted to myself that we don't number the Masters, and I wonder if we'll stop "numbering" the Doctors now. Saying Smith's Doctor rather than the Eleventh Doctor is just as clear, and less confusing, since Hurt's Doctor is the ninth, and so is Eccelston's (as I said to my wife - "the ninth Doctor regenerated into...the Ninth Doctor..."
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:32 PM   #96
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Not quite the same thing, though, is it?

In The Lodger, Smith points to himself and says "the eleventh" during the mind-meld scene.
Ah, I didn't remember that. Anyway, it's not as if it were a common occurrence. And I do believe that the expression "nth Doctor", which we use so often to talk about the show, had never been used on the show before "Day of the Doctor".
Old November 23 2013, 11:32 PM   #97
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
And I suppose it's a good question -- should we call Capaldi the Twelfth Doctor or the Thirteenth? And what do we call Hurt now? Or, for that matter, Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith? We could go in real-world order of casting, but then that would make Hurt the 12th. This is so confusing.
Well, the first time someone has explicitely mentioned the Doctor's number in dialogue was in "The Name of the Doctor", so it's not as if these things really come up that often.

But at the time the First Doctor made the comment we hadn't see the War Doctor or the timewar so the count is correct (as far as contradicting claims that the 1st Doctor wasn't the first that arose after Brain of Morbius).

The scene from The Lodger was still at a point where the existence of the War Doctor was still being denied (very Symbiosis Commission of the Doctor).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:32 PM   #98
Yminale
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
He said he felt worn out so I would say yes.

Oh, almost forgot, what are our predictions for when the Doctor will find Gallifrey? I'm thinking it'll be the arc for Capaldi's first season.
I hope so since I think the Silence and maybe the Time Crack arc will conclude with Smith's final episode.
Old November 23 2013, 11:34 PM   #99
Darth_Daver
Captain

It was bloody brilliant! Oh for god's sake, Gallifrey stands!

- What will happen to Rasillion and co?
- How did the older doctors knew to come, did they use the Moment to break the timeline there as well?
- Beside the beautiful meta-meaning of Tom Baker being there, who was The Curator?
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:35 PM   #100
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the Master had used up his regenerations by the Fourth Doctor. But he just refused to die.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:36 PM   #101
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Oh, the 3D was simply stunning in this episode, nice little extra for those with 3D TV'S.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:37 PM   #102
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Oh, the 3D was simply stunning in this episode, nice little extra for those with 3D TV'S.
Not to mention in cinemas. Really enjoyed the 3D! it was almost on the level of Avatar.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:38 PM   #103
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

Brilliant, what a tribute to what cam before. A fantastic script all character driven. They linked all the Doctors in a great way considering the age or death of previous Doctors. I had wondered if Tom Baker would be in it as the oldest surviving Doctor. But wondered how considering his age. Though I'm not sure how they did it here either. Just wonderful.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:39 PM   #104
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The Day of the Doctor was, overall, lovely. Everything to do with David Tennant and Matt Smith was absolutely fantastic, and Tennant was like he never left. Smith delivered on all fronts, and John Hurt did really, really well - despite not having a WHOLE lot to do, although that was expected as a one-off Doctor. Really, their interaction was the absolute highlight of the whole thing, and everything up until the twist with the Moment was straight perfection...

... but, the twist was iffy, to me. I thought it kinda undermined the journey the Doctor went through from series 1-4B. And I never thought Eleventh forgot about the Time War... just that he moved on, as all people eventually do when given the space and the time to do so (no pun intended). Sure, its great that he wanted to do that, but really, it was just forced.

And to me, it undermined completely the Hurt Doctor. Here's the Doctor at his darkest, and when he makes the decision that will haunt him for three more incarnations. At the very least, I was hoping he'd sacrifice himself for his future selfs, so that they and his past selves can save Gallifrey effectively while preventing the Daleks (or anyone else) from finding out the truth of Gallifrey's dissapearence. That way, he could still have a redeeming (for his wartime activities) ending. His regeneration in his TARDIS doesn't really make sense.

Overall, I really liked it. Its wonderful, until the Zygon threat is dealt with (offscreen, sadly). And the absolute fankwank that is all the Doctors around Gallifrey was fantastic (which reminds me, was the First Doctor's dialogue newly recorded material from John Guilor?). But IMO, this is not anywhere near Moffat's best work - Empty Child, Blink, Eleventh Hour, and yes, even Night of the Doctor... Which reminds me - that prequel WAS better than the actual special, wasn't it?

Still, a really fun evening. Can't wait for the XMas special - or as it may be called, Silence Will Fall (sounds like a good title).
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:39 PM   #105
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
But apparently it's just a bunch of Daleks shooting at soldiers. Could've been any war from any era. Took a lot of mystery out of it.
At this point both sides were pretty much exhausted but the Dalek still had a large conventional force.

As I was typing this, I noted to myself that we don't number the Masters,
We still number the Master. We are currently on his Sixth KNOWN incarnation.

and I wonder if we'll stop "numbering" the Doctors now.
Hurt is "The War Doctor" but it's clear that he doesn't call himself the Doctor at this point. There are still technically 12 Doctors but the individual himself has 13 lives.