To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 23 2013, 06:46 PM   #196
Warped9
Admiral

Re: No female starship captains in the 2250s-60s?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Dear god, please don't give someone an excuse to post a picture of the TNG manskirt...!

Your wish is my command!
His uniforms were all in the laundry and he was late for his duty shift so grabbed one of his wife's uniforms. And the entire shift he had to keep explaining why he looked like an idiot.

The woman behind him looks to be averting her eyes while the girl looks to be watching his ass.

Thankfully they never followed through with this.
Old November 23 2013, 06:46 PM   #197
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Thank you! That made my day.
He has the legs for it at least. I LOVE that it's canon that at least at that time that was an offical optional uniform for men.
Old November 23 2013, 07:14 PM   #198
J.T.B.
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
His uniforms were all in the laundry and he was late for his duty shift [...]
... so he put on a shift.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 07:49 PM   #199
Anwar
Vice Admiral

^^ Except for the brief appearance of the manskirt and Troi's outfits there really doesn't seem to have been much variety in the contemporary Trek uniforms beyond the established regular outfits. Yes, the basic design changed over time (from early TNG to 3rd season TNG to DS9/VOY and then the latter TNG films) but beyond those there didn't seem to be much variety. Did we ever see any radiation suits, anti-contamination suits or service fatigues? Did we even see any EVA space suits outside of FC?
Well, we didn't see any real cool TOS outfits until the movies (Kirk and Spocks' EVA suits, Scotty's radiation suits, etc). The only real "Space Suit" we saw in TOS TV was Kirk's spacesuit in "Tholian Web".

So for TNG not to show us a real variety during the TV series and only showing us something new in the movies...is pretty in line with that.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 07:59 PM   #200
J.T.B.
Commodore

^ Well, in TOS season 1 there were quite a few folks seen in the corridors with protective suits, vests, helmets and so on. Plus the suits in "Amok Time." TNG did have working "coveralls," though, like TOS.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 09:02 PM   #201
maneth
Captain

Puts a different spin on "dress uniform", doesn't it? Must admit he has great legs, though.

Turnabout Intruder is one of my least favorite TOS episodes along with Spock's Brain and Space Seed, but I'm willing to discount anything the nutcase says...
Old November 23 2013, 09:10 PM   #202
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think we see TNG minidress on men or women after the first episode.
Old November 23 2013, 09:15 PM   #203
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think we see TNG minidress on men or women after the first episode.
I know that's wrong, just because of All Good Things...
Old November 23 2013, 09:18 PM   #204
Anwar
Vice Admiral

They wore the Man-Skirts for a few episodes of seasons 1 and 2, IIRC. They dropped them after that.

I liked Picard's "Captain's Jacket" thing though.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 10:07 PM   #205
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Why? Do you take Kirk less seriously when he takes his shirt off? Is a person's intelligence and competence diminished when more of their skin is showing?
While both the long blue dress and the "bunny suit" cover her down to her shoes, after Captain Jellico instructed Deanna to wear a standard uniform quite a few of the fan have stated that she looked more professional and they took her more seriously.

If the suit makes the man, wouldn't the same apply to a woman?

If Kirk routinely appeared on the bridge without a shirt (not just ripped, but absent) yes I would have taken him less seriously as a professional officer. I like the short mini as a fashion choice, and it would have been an advantage in unarmed combat, but if the hem were down to the female character's knees, she would have looked more professional.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...0&postcount=32

Last edited by T'Girl; November 23 2013 at 10:19 PM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 10:43 PM   #206
Warped9
Admiral

Here's an interesting comparison between Areel Shaw's long skirt uniform and the Personnel Officer's standard miniskirt uniform. I see nothing wrong with Areel Shaw's version even by today's standards. The shade of red she is wearing is even nicer but, of course, that might be a trick of the light due to the differnt fabric.

If TOS had opted for the longer version or we had seen it more often (particularly among officer rank personnel) the women would have looked generally more professional and maybe fewer would be harping on about the miniskirt. I could even see a female Captain wearing that longer dress (in gold) at least aboard ship as an alternate to the tunic and trousers much as Kirk had his alternate green tunic.
Old November 23 2013, 11:23 PM   #207
Christopher
Writer

T'Girl wrote: View Post
While both the long blue dress and the "bunny suit" cover her down to her shoes, after Captain Jellico instructed Deanna to wear a standard uniform quite a few of the fan have stated that she looked more professional and they took her more seriously.

If the suit makes the man, wouldn't the same apply to a woman?
See, I learned that saying as "Clothes do not make the man." I think it's utterly ridiculous to judge a person's merit and ability as an individual based on the shape and color of the cloth on the outside of that person's body -- something that isn't even a part of them. They're still the same person whether they're wearing a burqa or totally naked. It's just societal convention that creates the fiction that one type of attire is more or less appropriate than another, but those conventions are ephemeral and change greatly over time and between different cultures. There's no intrinsic value to them; it's just another of the stupid excuses we make up to pretend some people are better than others.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:49 PM   #208
Warped9
Admiral

If Areel Shaw had been a Captain.

Old November 23 2013, 11:59 PM   #209
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

That manskirt photo isn't so bad. There's a posed photo of an actor in a gold one that used to make me laugh hysterically when people posted it.
Old November 24 2013, 12:26 AM   #210
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Here's an interesting comparison between Areel Shaw's long skirt uniform and the Personnel Officer's standard miniskirt uniform. I see nothing wrong with Areel Shaw's version even by today's standards. The shade of red she is wearing is even nicer but, of course, that might be a trick of the light due to the differnt fabric.
Because of the gold piping, I always assumed that was the female dress uniform, especially since all the other court officers were wearing dress uniforms too. Presumably if a situation had come up in an episode where Uhura needed a dress uniform, she would have worn this.

But yeah, they could have made the regular uniform skirt length the same as that one.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote