Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

On mine they tip forwards very slightly, only really noticable up close.

A lot of NX-01 models don't have the nacelles perfectly straight.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Eternal ST Problem: Sagging, drooping nacelles.

3. dudley

dudley Commodore Commodore

Finally got the first two ships in the subscription. Now, the Enterprise-D is spectacular. And I know that the Enterprise Refit seems oddly out of place in this otherwise high-quality collection, but I feel compelled to make a comparison.

Between what? Between the Hot Wheels Enterprise Refit for $12 and the Eaglemoss Enterprise Refit for $20.

Ways the Hot Wheels version is superior:

• Larger, perhaps by 30%
    • The phaser banks are very well defined, top and bottom of the saucer.
    • The bridge module is far better defined.
    • Alongside the edge of the saucer, the windows are respectable defined. The Eaglemoss version has a bunch of big, blocky white squares.
    • Behind the bridge module, the Hot Wheels version contains the marking "Enterprise NCC-1701"
    • The top of the impulse drive has well-defined ridges shooting out from the center. The Eaglemoss version is just a blue bump.
    • The deflector dish contains ridges, whereas Eaglemoss doesn't
    • Has a line going down the center of the nacelle pylons. The Eaglemoss pylons are blank.
    • The red paint on the impulse engines is clearly and neatly applied. The Eaglemoss version has a bit (45%) of red missing on the right impulse engine.
    • Considerable detail by comparison on the secondary hull. Lots of deep lines.
    • The shuttle bay has had justice done to it. The Eaglemoss version... yikes... it's just a smooth, rounded surface!
    • The top front of the nacelles isn't transparent blue like the Eaglemoss version. What was Eaglemoss thinking?!
    • The torpedo launcher looks correct on the Hot Wheels version. The Eaglemoss version looks like someone poked it a bit with a hot needle in a bunch of places.
    • The secondary hull is metal instead of plastic.
    • The seams in general are a lot less conspicuous. The seams on the Eaglemoss version, specifically between the secondary hull and the neck, and the secondary hull and deflector on the right side -- yikes. Then there's the hideous seam running down the topside of the secondary hull.
    • There aren't little splotches of dark grey paint here and there on the Hot Wheels version.

Ways the Eaglemoss version is superior:

• The saucer is made of metal instead of plastic.
    • The neck connects better on the underside of the saucer.
    • The nacelles appear to be made of more continuous and less pieces.
    • The bottom part of the secondary hull doesn't contain a hole for the stand-piece.

Honestly, I'm just wondering what the deal was. Perhaps they were under time constraints and they just couldn't get the aztec pattern on. Or maybe they wanted to leave some room for NCC-1701-A to look different and more polished.

Bottom line? The Eaglemoss Enterprise Refit felt... blank.

A more reasonable price for the Eaglemoss Enterprise Refit? I'd have to say $7, tops.

4. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Rumor is that the 1701-A will be far superior to the refit.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Based on what is known from the test run of this series a year or so ago, I believe the refit model was made by a different company that who they have now. Hence, the quality of the later models of this new company should be better, including the A, yes.

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, they're doing the A inhouse and with a new mold/model. Should be a lot better.

7. dudley

dudley Commodore Commodore

That would certainly explain things. :)

I think of the Enterprise Refit as the model that costs $4.99 for the first issue, not the Enterprise-D.

Still, Eaglemoss has to figure they're not making a great impression with that Enterprise Refit. A comedian wouldn't want to open with a lousy joke. They arguably should have just left it out unless they meant to do it justice and justify the cost to the subscriber.

8. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I was quite disappointed with the painting of the Voyager model; it seems a little too dark which obscures a lot of the detail.

10. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Speaking of the Voyager model, how is everyone else's? So far....my Intrepid doesn't really fit on the stand. It just slips back out very easily, especially with how 'vertically' it sits on the base. As a result, my favourite Trek ship is still in her box.

Perhaps im just missing something but the Intrepid doesn't seem to 'click' onto the stand like the other models.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Do you have the stand round the right way? Mine angles the model upwards.

12. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the way I looked at it too. Eaglemoss just couldn't come out and say that Issue #2 was the $4.99 model, and not the much better Issue #1.

And yeah, let's hope the Enterprise-A model is a better mold and with a better paint job. Hopefully it'll be a bit bigger, so they can get some aztecking on the saucer, if nothing else.

13. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I would say that's probably the case. The first 5 models were a part of the initial test run, made by one company. After the run was suspended, they switched to a different company. Whether or not they've remade these first 5 issues, is not known, but I'd say they probably did, but based on the original molds. But anyway, anything beyond Issue #5 should be all new molds. So by the time we get to the 1701-A, it should be a different mold. It's a wonder all issues except Issue #2 are as good as they are.

14. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Yeah my stand tilts it upwards too. But there is no grip. The model pretty much just falls out of the stand.

15. Sans

Anyone in the US have there account debited for issues 5 & 6 yet?

16. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Not yet. I expect it after Thanksgiving.

17. Sans

Why after?

18. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Because that's when my previous billings were.

19. Sans

Thanks. After some problems with an international lock on my card, I came in late to the party. I wasn't sure what their billing timeline was.

20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My paypal account was just charged.