RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,433
Posts: 5,507,219
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 551
Newest member: Robert100a

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 22 2013, 01:58 AM   #31
Velocity
Rear Admiral
 
Velocity's Avatar
 
Location: In the back of beyond
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

I'm 60. I think of "young" as not able to remember a time before personal computers and cell phones. And not experiencing gas prices under a dollar per gallon.

There's an old adage that 'youth is wasted on the young'. Maybe...to some extent, anyway.
__________________
What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? -
Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:34 AM   #32
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

Velocity wrote: View Post
I'm 60. I think of "young" as not able to remember a time before personal computers and cell phones. And not experiencing gas prices under a dollar per gallon.
We're coevals. Pretty much the same for me. I think of as "young" anyone who can't remember when there were no personal computers and no internet, when cigarettes were advertised on TV and it seemed like everybody smoked, and when black people were called Negroes.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I am 28, and for the most part I consider anyone 21 and below to be "young," but that might just be because I work in a bar and 21-year olds are incredibly immature drinkers.
Most 21-year-olds are incredibly immature everything. Well, the male of the species, at any rate.

Now you kids GET OFF MY LAWN!
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:41 AM   #33
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

Any colleague of mine who wasn't born when I started work 23 years ago is young. Really young.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:42 AM   #34
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm 33, and for myself, I feel I am at middle age, just shy of "old." To me, if you are under 30, you are "young." If you are between 30 and 40, you are still young-ish. To be honest, I consider 75+ to be old, I just don't think I'm ever getting there, so for me, 33 is bordering on old.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
You might be surprised, J.
If my past fortunes are any indication, I doubt it. I used to see life as a mystery, an opportunity to explore what it means to be alive. I wanted to go places I had never been before, and learn great things, to be a part of something wonderful. Now I see it as a dread progression of days in which tedium has claimed any joy I once had. It's all uphill, every moment is a struggle for relevance, and that when I die, I will be alone and forgotten. That last one only bothers me for a moment, as once I'm dead, it won't matter anymore. This is how I see "old" and "young." I will be forever old, until I am dead. Then it won't matter anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before I ever get the chance to actually live.
It seems like you feel like since your life is tedious and lonely, it won't be a long one. That doesn't really make sense. Happiness and unhappiness don't directly affect our longevity.

As to the topic at hand, young and old changes as you age. Right now I'd say 80 seems old to me. Maybe 75? Young is anything under 25. But my views on that will change with time.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:50 AM   #35
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

Kestra wrote: View Post
It seems like you feel like since your life is tedious and lonely, it won't be a long one. That doesn't really make sense. Happiness and unhappiness don't directly affect our longevity.
It's more a combination of significantly high stress levels, combined with lifestyle patterns (by necessity, not by choice), Depression, health problems, and a good dollop of pessimism that has built up over many years of having one's face metaphorically pressed into the mud. I've been working to just ride it out, do what I have to do, and then try to live my life (what will be left of it) as I can.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:53 AM   #36
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

J. don't forget that making incremental changes in your life can take you surprising places. It seems so pathetic sometimes to just start doing some small thing that everyone else does without thinking but if you keep making those kind of changes in a few years you can find yourself with options and things in your life you didn't expect.

And I think you've already done that to some extent, going veg and having big health benefits and weight loss as a result. Someday you may find yourself with options that you wouldn't have had if you hadn't taken those steps some time back.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:56 AM   #37
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral
 
Olive, the Other Reindeer's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I do believe in the "age is only a number" axiom but only to a point.
The main thing is, don't try telling it to the judge.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Olive, the Other Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 03:13 AM   #38
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

teacake wrote: View Post
J. don't forget that making incremental changes in your life can take you surprising places. It seems so pathetic sometimes to just start doing some small thing that everyone else does without thinking but if you keep making those kind of changes in a few years you can find yourself with options and things in your life you didn't expect.

And I think you've already done that to some extent, going veg and having big health benefits and weight loss as a result. Someday you may find yourself with options that you wouldn't have had if you hadn't taken those steps some time back.
That is good advice, teacake, and I will try to keep that in mind.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 03:34 AM   #39
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
You might be surprised, J.
If my past fortunes are any indication, I doubt it. I used to see life as a mystery, an opportunity to explore what it means to be alive. I wanted to go places I had never been before, and learn great things, to be a part of something wonderful. Now I see it as a dread progression of days in which tedium has claimed any joy I once had. It's all uphill, every moment is a struggle for relevance, and that when I die, I will be alone and forgotten. That last one only bothers me for a moment, as once I'm dead, it won't matter anymore. This is how I see "old" and "young." I will be forever old, until I am dead. Then it won't matter anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before I ever get the chance to actually live.
Seriously... it's all ahead of you. I'm 55 (damn that sounds old!), but I don't feel anything like that, I'm losing weight and I just bought an electric guitar. I might only have 10-15 good years, and maybe another 10 not so good ones, but I'm going out on a high and a rush! So much to do!

Read the poem 'Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night', and some of the analysis and history of it. It's not perfect, but it has acertain strength we could all use. You won't regret it.

Push harder. It will be wonderful.

As to young and old, if they're scampering on my lawn, they're damn kids. If they're doddering along with a walker that wasn't acquired through injury, just years, they're old.

But, as the joke says, when you drive past a high school and find your checking out the moms instead of the students, you're old.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 03:57 PM   #40
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

The older I get, the younger I am.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 04:44 PM   #41
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

Australis wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
You might be surprised, J.
If my past fortunes are any indication, I doubt it. I used to see life as a mystery, an opportunity to explore what it means to be alive. I wanted to go places I had never been before, and learn great things, to be a part of something wonderful. Now I see it as a dread progression of days in which tedium has claimed any joy I once had. It's all uphill, every moment is a struggle for relevance, and that when I die, I will be alone and forgotten. That last one only bothers me for a moment, as once I'm dead, it won't matter anymore. This is how I see "old" and "young." I will be forever old, until I am dead. Then it won't matter anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be dead before I ever get the chance to actually live.
Seriously... it's all ahead of you. I'm 55 (damn that sounds old!), but I don't feel anything like that, I'm losing weight and I just bought an electric guitar. I might only have 10-15 good years, and maybe another 10 not so good ones, but I'm going out on a high and a rush! So much to do!

Read the poem 'Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night', and some of the analysis and history of it. It's not perfect, but it has acertain strength we could all use. You won't regret it.

Push harder. It will be wonderful.

As to young and old, if they're scampering on my lawn, they're damn kids. If they're doddering along with a walker that wasn't acquired through injury, just years, they're old.

But, as the joke says, when you drive past a high school and find your checking out the moms instead of the students, you're old.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 07:13 PM   #42
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

scotpens wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I am 28, and for the most part I consider anyone 21 and below to be "young," but that might just be because I work in a bar and 21-year olds are incredibly immature drinkers.
Most 21-year-olds are incredibly immature everything. Well, the male of the species, at any rate.
The guys are immature. The girls are just dumb.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 07:48 PM   #43
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I am 28, and for the most part I consider anyone 21 and below to be "young," but that might just be because I work in a bar and 21-year olds are incredibly immature drinkers.
Most 21-year-olds are incredibly immature everything. Well, the male of the species, at any rate.
The guys are immature. The girls are just dumb.
Mhmm, I love the smell of sexism in the morning.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 01:30 AM   #44
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post

Most 21-year-olds are incredibly immature everything. Well, the male of the species, at any rate.
The guys are immature. The girls are just dumb.
Mhmm, I love the smell of sexism in the morning.
Hardly.

Again, this is my perspective as a bartender. 21-year old boys want to get shitfaced as fast and cheaply as possible and vomit everywhere. 21-year old girls act like speaking to strangers in public is some form of rocket science.

Young people just generally suck.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 01:56 AM   #45
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: Older people - How do you define 'young'

Melakon wrote: View Post
I stopped buying Playboy every month when I realized the girls in the centerfold were born the year I graduated high school.
My husband still gets playboy, but actually doesn’t like looking at the pictures too much. He said that when he’s older than the Playmates’ mothers, he’s too old to be looking at the girls in a sexual way.

It didn’t help that we met a couple, years ago at an artist’s signing, and they did not match their pics. So much makeup! He got really turned off by that.

Now he’s more into Men’s Journal/Health for their articles than Playboy.

We is getting old!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.