Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 22 2013, 05:48 PM   #1801
Yanks
Captain

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Thank you Christopher and Greg Cox.
Old November 22 2013, 06:03 PM   #1802
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The biggest problem with SHIELD is that its just a generic spy show that happens to take place in the Marvel movie universe. While the Thor tie in episode is probably the most interesting episode they've had in awhile, I've realized that Coulson is the only thing that's keeping me watching. As soon as whatever happened to him is revealed, I'll probably just stop watching. I just kind of unconsciously tune out most of the episodes right now when Coulson isn't the focus. I usually don't realize it until I look up from a book and see that I just skipped most of the episode and really don't care (which is basically what I did for most of the Ward/Nerd guy mission a few episodes ago, I watched all of the hub stuff but mostly ignored the Ward stuff). The show crossed the threshold of being too generic to me, its trying way too hard to try to make literally every TV viewer happy. Its so bland its trying to get every audience, and so its not doing anything particularly worthy of the license.

I think if they replaced everyone but Coulson and May with interesting characters and had them actually sometimes do SHIELD stuff (like fight Hydra or take down someone who is more than just vaguely supervillain related) it could have been good, but I've about given up hope for this show. Its obvious that Whedon's name is basically just slapped on to make his fans watch, he either isn't too involved or has almost no influence compared to the corporate people who want to try to please the people who also watch all 5 million crime dramas already. I'm a huge Whedon fan, but this honestly feels about as far from a Whedon show/project as you can get. I'll stick around until Coulson's secret is revealed, and just get through the stuff that is so bland that, names aside, it could literally be on any spy show/movie ever.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 06:10 PM   #1803
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

I don't know. The "Did I fall asleep" bit must have come from Whedon himself since it's the signature catch phrase from Dollhouse. So I guess he has some input into the script.

"The Well" was also noteworthy to me because it was directed by Jonathan Frakes apparently.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 06:35 PM   #1804
Christopher
Writer

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I don't know. The "Did I fall asleep" bit must have come from Whedon himself since it's the signature catch phrase from Dollhouse. So I guess he has some input into the script.
You're forgetting that AoS's showrunners, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, were themselves producers on Dollhouse. Of course Joss W. has supervisory input into the whole series, but he's hardly the only Dollhouse veteran involved.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 07:11 PM   #1805
Scout101
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Like the throwaway reference to "vibranium" this week. Comics fans know that's a rare metal from the BLACK PANTHER comics, but, the way they used it, it was just a random bit of technobabble. If you didn't get the comic-book reference, the scene played out just the same way.
Or far more famously, Cap's shield is made out of it. Lot more people likely got the reference there, as it was part of both the Captain America and Iron Man 2 movies. Would imagine that's where they intended the reference to go, don't need to be a comic book super-fan to catch it.

Show's just kinda *there* for me. It's not bad, but not especially good, either. Not driving me away, but really needs to DO something to keep me coming back. So very generic at the moment, and just trading on its trademarks and brand name so far.

Needs more *something*. Little more bold direction, spend some budget dollars on some super-powered people, something. Name-dropping Thor isn't quite enough to sustain a show.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:06 PM   #1806
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Cap's shield is an alloy of vabrium and adamantium.

If the worlds vabrium supply blew up a couple years ago, why was caps shield ignored?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:56 PM   #1807
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

If the worlds vabrium supply blew up a couple years ago, why was caps shield ignored?
Science.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 10:15 PM   #1808
sojourner
Vice Admiral

There she goes again! She's tidied up and I can't find anything!
Old November 22 2013, 10:31 PM   #1809
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The Dec 10 episode, "The Bridge", is described as a mid-season cliffhanger and will see the return of the Centipede Group as well as J. August Richards' character Michael Peterson from the pilot.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; November 22 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 11:47 PM   #1810
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tanchareon say that there is a solid two-year plan in place for AoS.

I hope the ratings support two years...
Old November 22 2013, 11:54 PM   #1811
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I was wondering if the producers were planning for the worst and revealed Coulson's secret before the 13 initial episodes are up (they are picking up speed on that storyline) or if they gambled and are saving it up for the season finale.

So far each episode shows more and more mystery about Tahiti so i began thinking when the lid will be blown.
Old November 23 2013, 02:01 AM   #1812
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
The Dec 10 episode, "The Bridge", is described as a mid-season cliffhanger and will see the return of the Centipede Group as well as J. August Richards' character Michael Peterson from the pilot.
When I first saw the episode title, my mind instantly jumped to the prospect of G. W. Bridge popping up on the show, but I think he falls well within the Fox X-Men properties due to his close ties with Cable and X-Force.

I do welcome the return of J. August's character and the shift toward longer story arcs.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 02:07 AM   #1813
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I want to see the cast of Community as the Inhuman Royal Family.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 02:10 AM   #1814
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Jeff as Black Bolt and Dean Pelton as Maximus?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 02:15 AM   #1815
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Cap's real shield didn't appear in IM2 (not sure what the story behind the techy one is...could have been a prototype for one of the aborted attempts to revive the super-soldier project while Cap was on ice), and I can't recall vibranium having been name-dropped in that film.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
In the comics...in the movie they just said it was vibranium...probably to avoid issues with FOX.
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote