Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 22 2013, 05:03 PM   #16
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Getting back to watching Dr. Who

I've watched some more episodes. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit was a decent two parter. The villain was interesting, and the sets were also very good and convincing space station sets.

Next, Love & Monsters. I thought that The Idiot's Lantern would be my least favorite episode this series because of how average it is, but little did I know that an outright horrible episode existed in Series 2. This episode was painful basically from start to finish. The main guy was annoying, and I honestly didn't care too much about his friends getting absorbed, or the "emotional" moment at the end that just sucked. Its weird to think that the same show that has pulled off some great emotional moments (like the end of The Girl in the Fireplace, just to name one) could also do this junk. The only enjoyment I got out of this episode was the brief scooby Doo moment at the very beginning with The Doctor, rose and an alien running through doors. Besides that, this was easily the worst Doctor Who episode I've seen, and I doubt anything can dethrone it for that title (at least I hope nothing can ).

Fear her was a pretty good episode. The girl's mother was a bit annoying, and honestly I think the alien was given a bit too much of a pass by the doctor, but overall it was entertaining. Now, its on to the last two episodes of Series 2, and beyond.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:14 PM   #17
Starkers
Admiral

^Thats odd, because Fear Her usually ranks high in people's worst episode lists!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:19 PM   #18
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
^Thats odd, because Fear Her usually ranks high in people's worst episode lists!
Yea, Love and Monsters, Idiot's Lantern, and Fear Her are about the lowest point in NuWho. IMHO, it never dips back down that low again, though there are a few episodes here and there that aren't so great, just not a string of them, and probably not even 3 per Series.

LOL, Kirk55555 said the emotional moment at the end of Love and Monsters sucked

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:44 PM   #19
kirk55555
Commodore

I wouldn't call Fear Her a classic, but coming after Love & Monsters my judgement of quality may have been a bit suspect, since just about anything would have been an improvement I didn't think much of Fear Her honestly, but I didn't think it was bad. I'd probably say it was a bit less annoying than The Idiot's Lantern, but in the same category of being more generic/slightly annoying than outright bad. I doubt I'd ever watch it (or Idiot's Lantern or Love & Monsters) if I ever decided to rewatch the 10th doctor's stuff in the future.

As for the emotional stuff, I just thought that the whole "guy talking to his girlfriend's face in the monster" was goofy and stupid. It seemed near the end that they were trying to make you feel sad for him/the absorbed people, but at that point I just didn't care. Compared to The Girl in the Fireplace, which I felt had a legitimately well done sad ending, Love & Monsters ending just felt like they wrote it expecting you to still care and be sad for these people, but I just wanted them to go away.
Old November 22 2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call Fear Her a classic, but coming after Love & Monsters my judgement of quality may have been a bit suspect, since just about anything would have been an improvement I didn't think much of Fear Her honestly, but I didn't think it was bad. I'd probably say it was a bit less annoying than The Idiot's Lantern, but in the same category of being more generic/slightly annoying than outright bad. I doubt I'd ever watch it (or Idiot's Lantern or Love & Monsters) if I ever decided to rewatch the 10th doctor's stuff in the future.

As for the emotional stuff, I just thought that the whole "guy talking to his girlfriend's face in the monster" was goofy and stupid. It seemed near the end that they were trying to make you feel sad for him/the absorbed people, but at that point I just didn't care. Compared to The Girl in the Fireplace, which I felt had a legitimately well done sad ending, Love & Monsters ending just felt like they wrote it expecting you to still care and be sad for these people, but I just wanted them to go away.
Oh, that emotional part. I thought you meant The Paving Stone and him saying they still have a bit of a sex life

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 06:19 PM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I still love Love & Monsters, warts and all. Marc Warren is, as usual, excellent in it, there are a couple of excellent scenes, especially with Camille Coduri, and the whole parallel with ELO and popular music, picturing the Doctor as a pop icon is the kind of metafictional perspective that no one had tried to use on the show before. I understand people who don't like it, but it works for me.
Old November 22 2013, 06:31 PM   #22
kirk55555
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post

Oh, that emotional part. I thought you meant The Paving Stone and him saying they still have a bit of a sex life
Oh god I watched it yesterday and don't even remember him saying that. I think that near the end of the episode my mind just kind of wandered as a self defense mechanism so that I didn't just start inarticulately screaming in rage at the episode
Old November 22 2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Yea, Love and Monsters, Idiot's Lantern, and Fear Her are about the lowest point in NuWho. IMHO, it never dips back down that low again
I don't know ... I think I could sit through The Idiot's Lantern five times before a re-watch of "Pigmen in Manhattan" / "No, Seriously, Fucking Pigmen Part II."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:04 AM   #24
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I don't really get the hate for The Idiot's Lantern. Obviously, it's not the best episode of the show or even the season but it's pretty good. It has a creepy monster with creepy results of its actions - people without a face count among my base fears, and TV sets can be sinister objects with a seeming life of their own - and a number of funny and satisfying moments.
I love how Rose chews out the tyrannical Dad about the Union flag and how she and the Doctor subvert the household. The scene at the end where Rose tells the son (forgot his name) to talk to his father is quite a nice one as well.
Old November 23 2013, 07:31 AM   #25
kirk55555
Commodore

To me The Idiots Lantern was just really average. The monster just wasn't that interesting, and the same can be said of the whole episode. It wasn't outright horrible, but I found it to be fairly uninteresting.

I finished Series 2 today (Army of Ghosts/Doomsday). The finale was good. It was awesome seeing the Dalek and Cybermen fight. It was also funny to see the leader of Torchwood acting so smug to the Doctor, only to find out that her organization brought not just a Cybermen Invasion to earth but a Dalek invasion, too. Having a simultaneous Dalek/Cybermen Invasion might just be one of the worst things that could happen to a planet. Its going to be weird not having Rose around. Hopefully the Doctor's next companion will be interesting. Next up for modern Who is The Runaway Bride, then on to Series 3.
Old November 23 2013, 11:30 AM   #26
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Looking forward to what you think of Martha....most people don't like her much.
I think she is a very underrated companion.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:38 PM   #27
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I think she's fine until the last episode of series 3, where everything was kinda ludicrous anyway. The fourth series, though.... RTD truly and well ruined the character there.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 03:38 PM   #28
intrinsical
Commodore

Then again, series 3 has one of the best episodes in Doctor Who...
Old November 24 2013, 07:52 AM   #29
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I'd say one of the strongest runs of episodes really.

I definitely agree Martha's an underrated companion.
Old November 24 2013, 08:20 PM   #30
kirk55555
Commodore

I just watched The Runaway Bride. It was pretty good. Seeing the TARDIS chase a car down a highway was awesome. The villain was interesting, although she was a bit annoying at times. The episode was barely a "christmas" episode, and half its Christmas stuff was taken from the first one (The 10th Doctor's first episode) but I thought it was a good episode. Next up is Series 3.

Edit: In the last few hours I've gone through the first 5 episodes of season 5.

Smith and Jones was interesting. The Rhino aliens looked cool.

The Shakespeare Code was a good episode. Shakespeare himself was interesting. and there were a bunch of good/funny moments. It was weird/funny to hear the Doctor talk about Harry Potter, and then having them finish off the aliens with it.

I wasn't sure what to think of Gridlock when it started, but it ended up being a pretty good episode. It was cool to see the face again, and I liked the part where The Doctor is going down through all of the ships.

Daleks in Manhatten/Evolution of the Daleskwas an ok two parter. It wasn't bad at all, but it was the weakest Dalek story so far in modern Doctor Who. It was interesting to see them in that time period, but honestly a lot of the period stuff was annoying. The blonde woman was especially annoying. Every time she spoke I just wanted a Dalek to exterminate her. The Dalek/Human leader was an interesting concept I guess, but I'm glad he didn't stay around. The Daleks being outside of their suit/armor on a regular basis would be pretty lame. I still think it was an ok story, but it was a bit disappointing.

As for the new companion, Martha is ok so far. I don't really think that The Doctor needs another "romantic" companion so soon, but its not a big deal. Martha hasn't made that big an impression, honestly, but I'm not even half way done with series 3 yet, so my opinion of her could go either way.

Last edited by kirk55555; November 25 2013 at 05:42 AM.