The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 22 2013, 12:27 PM   #16
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: About the KHAN scream.

The Shat's theatricality in that moment doesn't really subscribe to the notion that he knew anything about an imminent rescue, at all. I mean, Kirk's wild-eyed, shaking with anger yell was more than just a vocal outburst ... am I right? Or am I right? Whose benefit was that for, then, if he knew Spock's plan - aside from ours, that is? His ex-wife's? His kid's? Bones, even? It's well-handled, dramatically ... I like how the camera slowly zooms in on him, as Khan spouts his words of hate ... but the scream is so absurd it's almost comical. When Darth Vader tells Luke who his father is, the scream Luke responds with falls right into that very same category. I laughed when I first saw that ... it was so rediculous and over the top. Same with The Shat's delivery.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 12:31 PM   #17
teacock
Admiral

WHAT ex-wife??

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 12:33 PM   #18
2takesfrakes
Commodore

What the balls is her name? The one who dropped her drawers in front of Kirk during INTO DARKNESS ... Carol Marcus. Yes, that's her ...
Old November 22 2013, 12:47 PM   #19
teacock
Admiral

They never married. They just bred.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 22 2013, 12:53 PM   #20
2takesfrakes
Commodore

That's right! That is right. When Kirk first found out about it, he just shrugged and said, "Nuts to her, then, if she can't take a joke ..."
Old November 22 2013, 12:56 PM   #21
teacock
Admiral

He didn't find out until presented with the strapping lad himself.

Our Kirk has never been married. If JJ changes that I swear I'll..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 22 2013, 01:02 PM   #22
2takesfrakes
Commodore

You'll ... you'll what, teacake? Clarify, for us ... specify! Personally, I'm fine with the idea. Just don't let Kirk marry some large-breasted green alien with scales and nostrils on her forehead ...
Old November 22 2013, 01:07 PM   #23
teacock
Admiral

I will write a letter.

Hey such actions gave us TOS Season 3, don't mock.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 22 2013, 02:16 PM   #24
Cara007
Lieutenant

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
You'll ... you'll what, teacake? Clarify, for us ... specify! Personally, I'm fine with the idea. Just don't let Kirk marry some large-breasted green alien with scales and nostrils on her forehead ...

Kirk can have sleep with lots of women but he cant commit to one. I get why most fans say he is married to the enterprise.
Cara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:17 PM   #25
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Classic Kirk did marry that woman Miramme or something when he had amnesia. She convieniently died by the end of the episode of course.
Old November 22 2013, 02:29 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

People do realize the reason Shatner's "Khan!" scream is remembered is because most people think it's funny. Seriously, how much mileage have comedians and sitcoms gotten out of it in the last thirty years?

Most people don't consider it some dramatic moment that rivals the best other movies have to offer. It's remembered because Shatner is a ham and the scream was right up his alley.
Old November 22 2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

BillJ wrote: View Post
People do realize the reason Shatner's "Khan!" scream is remembered is because most people think it's funny. Seriously, how much mileage have comedians and sitcoms gotten out of it in the last thirty years?

Most people don't consider it some dramatic moment that rivals the best other movies have to offer. It's remembered because Shatner is a ham and the scream was right up his alley.
Yup, he just screams for no reason, script, plot or otherwise.
Old November 22 2013, 03:52 PM   #28
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

Yup, he just screams for no reason, script, plot or otherwise.
The entire sequence of events leading up to the scream is the most puzzling scene in the movie. Khan could've just beamed Kirk up to the Reliant. He finally has Kirk cornered, and killing him isn't important, any more?

It may have been unfortunate that at the moment of Kirk's death, Spock sparks reminders to the audience of one of the most hammy moments in any Trek movie. But at least this time it had context, meaning, and real emotion. In story, it worked.
Old November 22 2013, 04:28 PM   #29
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Exactly. If you go back to before STiD premiered, you can find post after post making fun of how cheezy and ridiculous (and embarrassing) Shatner's Khan scream was. It was a trope, whenever someone wanted to look silly (or have a reaction to indicate someone else's post was ridiculous), they would post a Youtube video of Shatner's Khan scream

It wasn't until after the movie premiered that all of a sudden Shatner's Khan scream was considered sacred ground and Dramatic Theatrical Excellence.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 04:43 PM   #30
Ryan8bit
Commodore

It's strange that the writers tried to take something so cheesy and make it serious. I think that's why it was a little bit jarring for me.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote