Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 21 2013, 10:54 PM   #331
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Re: Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
That's correct. Other than that issue, Season 7 was probably TNG's best looking season color wise, so the only real improvement we'll probably end up seeing is the chroma signal being cleaned out and of course more detailed picture.
Agreed, Season 7 had the most faithful color reproduction in SD. Season 6 in SD, on the other hand, was pretty washed out and still looks softer than S5 to my eyes. The HD gives it a real boost - I had chance to see some of the raw film from "A Fistful of Datas" and was gobsmacked at how much detail is in there.
Yeah, after seeing a lot of TNG remastered, it's hard to just pop in a favorites like "Relics" and "Ship in a Bottle" without being distracted by how off the colors look, especially on the red uniforms. Not as bad as how Season 1 looked in SD, but creeping.

I don't have any intention of buying the Unification disc, but I found it curious that Nimoy turned down the interviews for the special features. Does anyone know why he turned them down? He's been so active with Trek lately, it kinda surprised me that he'd not want to participate.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 11:08 PM   #332
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

What's the deal with the impulse engines? They were orange in season 1, but have been red ever since. They're still orange in the opening credits, but even the ILM stock shots are red, whether it's from HTV, Modern Video or CBS-D.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 12:32 AM   #333
NewHorizon
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Devil's advocate - on HTV's watch, they did not have to upscale any missing footage. Just sayin'.
True, although they did use alternate takes instead...which I would be fine with if they existed and the performances were close enough. Anything to keep it all HD.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 01:28 AM   #334
MickJo1701
Commander

What's the deal with the impulse engines? They were orange in season 1, but have been red ever since. They're still orange in the opening credits, but even the ILM stock shots are red, whether it's from HTV, Modern Video or CBS-D.
They we're orange in Season 1, then all over the place in Season 2 (orange, red, pink) and orange again in Season 3. That is up to the introduction of the 4 foot miniature in The Defector, at which point the ILM stock footage had the engine recoloured red to match the newer model and has been that way ever since.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 11:09 AM   #335
MakeshiftPython
Captain

UGHHHHH!!!!

There was one little detail that always kinda bugged me. Nothing too important, just the title of an episode. "I Borg" should have actually been "I, Borg". I thought they would fix that in the remaster, but nope, it's still incorrect. Oh well, some things will remain.

One thing I thought would also be fixed was Crusher's uniform. In "Skin of Evil", the HD did an error where her uniform appeared green instead of blue during the funeral, even though it's the same shot and lighting. For whatever reason, I thought that meant her uniform was always supposed to be blue, and that it only appeared green in later seasons because of the limitations of SD mastering, so the HD remaster would correct it. Watching S5 now, guess it really did appear green in scenes. I assume that all had to do with the way those scenes were lit, because it does appear blue at times yet in scenes with less lighting it appeared green. Truer colors or not, I still hate the green uniform. At least DS9 seemed to be more consistent with blue uniforms, until they did the switch to FC uniforms.
Old November 22 2013, 03:08 PM   #336
trekker670
Captain

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
UGHHHHH!!!!
One thing I thought would also be fixed was Crusher's uniform. In "Skin of Evil", the HD did an error where her uniform appeared green instead of blue during the funeral, even though it's the same shot and lighting. For whatever reason, I thought that meant her uniform was always supposed to be blue, and that it only appeared green in later seasons because of the limitations of SD mastering, so the HD remaster would correct it. Watching S5 now, guess it really did appear green in scenes. I assume that all had to do with the way those scenes were lit, because it does appear blue at times yet in scenes with less lighting it appeared green. Truer colors or not, I still hate the green uniform. At least DS9 seemed to be more consistent with blue uniforms, until they did the switch to FC uniforms.
That's very much a product of the material and the way the scenes were lit. IRL the blue uniforms are more of a turquoise than a solid blue that's reflected on-screen. This color shifting happened to all of the uniforms, but most noticably with the red, which was actually almost a purple color.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 03:26 PM   #337
tomswift2002
Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

TNG switched to D1 in Season Four.

You sure about that? Last time I saw a D1 deck it looked like it could've come out of an old UNIVAC computer, and it certainly wasn't small enough to fit on a table (unlike what we see in Star Trek's 25th anniversary special where there are two VTR's on a desk). Not too mention they were notoriously expensive to use.

I think he's referring to the color crosstalk or "rainbow effects" where high luma frequencies sometimes end up in the chroma signal. You could always see it on Worf's sash, for instance:
I've always chalked that up to the nature of the NTSC signal at SD levels, even for component video. Since even in "All Good Things" on the DVD when the camera is pulling up from the lit floor grates in the courtroom there is rainbowing from there not being enough information to seperating the slats. The old newscaster striped-tie affair.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:29 PM   #338
MakeshiftPython
Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post

You sure about that? Last time I saw a D1 deck it looked like it could've come out of an old UNIVAC computer, and it certainly wasn't small enough to fit on a table (unlike what we see in Star Trek's 25th anniversary special where there are two VTR's on a desk). Not too mention they were notoriously expensive to use.
Not sure if it's related to it, but if you ever notice, there's a certain distortion to shots that involved the transporter effect during the first three seasons. Example: The opening of "The Best of Both Worlds" has that distortion when the away team arrives in the transporter room talking to O'Brien. Starting with S4, it no longer appeared during shots that involved a transporter effect. I'm no tech guy, but I always assumed they had upgraded their post work in some fashion that resulted in that distortion no longer being present in shots. Reading that they did some kind of switch in S4 involving composite tapes, I assume that played a factor.
Old November 22 2013, 06:56 PM   #339
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

After watching Cause and Effect which has pretty much uses every stock shot of the Enterprise moving, I notice this shot of the 4-footer.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...deffect324.jpg

Typically the camera buzzes the model, but in this one, it passes through it. It passes between the neck and the nacelle, and out the other side. How did they achieve that?
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 09:15 PM   #340
Borjis
Commodore

but in this one, it passes through it. It passes between the neck and the nacelle, and out the other side. How did they achieve that?
They could have possibly used a zoom lens, or more likely a snorkel attachment to achieve that.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 09:18 PM   #341
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

A shot like this is also in TWOK, after the first attack of the Reliant. Somehow they moved the camera through the Reliant's roll bar thingy. I always wondered how.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 09:18 PM   #342
Borjis
Commodore

I think he's referring to the color crosstalk or "rainbow effects" where high luma frequencies sometimes end up in the chroma signal. You could always see it on Worf's sash, for instance:
I've always chalked that up to the nature of the NTSC signal at SD levels, even for component video. Since even in "All Good Things" on the DVD when the camera is pulling up from the lit floor grates in the courtroom there is rainbowing from there not being enough information to seperating the slats. The old newscaster striped-tie affair.
I used to have 2 D1 decks at my studio...cutting edge for the time, it wouldn't at all be unthinkable that they'd be using that as its WAY better than 1" which I also had at one time.

A rainbow cross-talk affect won't happen over component nearly as much as composite, but always occurs with composite. D1 is a Digital composite signal. Beta/SP & Digital Betacam are component and wouldn't show that unless high frequency detail (more of a moire effect than rainbow cross-talk) was present.
Old November 22 2013, 11:18 PM   #343
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

You'd have to show me a frame grab from the special or give me a timecode to look for so I can see exactly what you're talking about. But there are two D1 VTR's on this page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-1_%28Sony%29

Borjis wrote: View Post
A rainbow cross-talk affect won't happen over component nearly as much as composite, but always occurs with composite. D1 is a Digital composite signal. Beta/SP & Digital Betacam are component and wouldn't show that unless high frequency detail (more of a moire effect than rainbow cross-talk) was present.
D1 is 4:2:2 component. D2 is composite.
Old November 22 2013, 11:37 PM   #344
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Heads up! Fry's Electronics has Season 5 and Unification on sale today through November 27th:

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5: $49.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation Unification: $12.99

Ad here: http://www.frys.com/ads/page8

If you bought them already at a brick and mortar store on Tuesday, be sure to bring this ad with you and get a price match if available!
Old November 23 2013, 01:51 AM   #345
Borjis
Commodore

D1 is 4:2:2 component. D2 is composite.
DOH!

Meant D2 haha (i never had D1 just D2)