Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 19 2013, 10:42 PM   #511
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Looks good Johnny!
Old November 19 2013, 11:50 PM   #512
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile

I blacked out the outer nacelles too with the Sharpie. Actually works and looks good. And the good thing? Because the black ink is not opaque paint, it still lets enough ligh thru that the inner side still glows a little bit.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 12:34 AM   #513
Sans
Lieutenant

Could you post of pix of it?
Sans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 01:46 AM   #514
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Sans wrote: View Post
Could you post of pix of it?
Here ya go:

Old November 20 2013, 06:06 AM   #515
Sans
Lieutenant

Looks good. I don't think I could bring myself to alter mine at all. Im going to wait and see what the 1701-A looks like.
Old November 20 2013, 07:58 AM   #516
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

*Jumping around like a kid who has to pee on x-mas morning* When do we get some ships we don't have yet?! When is the first of them?! I want them now!! NOW!!!!

lol

I've glanced briefly at the ones I've got thus far - 1 through 4 - but otherwise, I have so many other versions of them, these are just going to sit in their boxes. I'm waiting for the ships I don't have 6 of!

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 01:19 PM   #517
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
I blacked out the outer nacelles too with the Sharpie. Actually works and looks good. And the good thing? Because the black ink is not opaque paint, it still lets enough ligh thru that the inner side still glows a little bit.
It appears the inner portion of the naceles should be blue?

http://startreklives.files.wordpress...on_refit05.jpg
Old November 20 2013, 03:59 PM   #518
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

^ If memory serves, that was only done for a couple of shots in TMP, some of which were in TWOK, but that was about it.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 05:43 AM   #519
Pilot Ace
Captain

Hey all, just checking on the quality of my NX-01. Are the nacelles supposed to dip downwards? This is only noticeable to me if I hold the ship on the side view. Both nacelles noticeably dip downwards and are not parallel to the edge of the saucer section. I think it's by a couple degrees.

I did try to snap a photo, but I can't get the saucer to lay flat because of the dome at the bottom and the stand holds the ship at an angle which obscures what I'm talking about. Both nacelles dip the same degree, so it looks like it was done on purpose, but it could be just a major defect on my model. Any thoughts?
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 09:50 PM   #520
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
Hey all, just checking on the quality of my NX-01. Are the nacelles supposed to dip downwards? This is only noticeable to me if I hold the ship on the side view. Both nacelles noticeably dip downwards and are not parallel to the edge of the saucer section. I think it's by a couple degrees.

I did try to snap a photo, but I can't get the saucer to lay flat because of the dome at the bottom and the stand holds the ship at an angle which obscures what I'm talking about. Both nacelles dip the same degree, so it looks like it was done on purpose, but it could be just a major defect on my model. Any thoughts?
Sounds like a major default with your model. Nacelles are quite straight and parallel.
Old November 21 2013, 10:05 PM   #521
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

On mine they tip forwards very slightly, only really noticable up close.

A lot of NX-01 models don't have the nacelles perfectly straight.
Old November 21 2013, 11:55 PM   #522
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

The Eternal ST Problem: Sagging, drooping nacelles.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:11 AM   #523
dudley
Commodore

Finally got the first two ships in the subscription. Now, the Enterprise-D is spectacular. And I know that the Enterprise Refit seems oddly out of place in this otherwise high-quality collection, but I feel compelled to make a comparison.

Between what? Between the Hot Wheels Enterprise Refit for $12 and the Eaglemoss Enterprise Refit for $20.

Ways the Hot Wheels version is superior:
  • Larger, perhaps by 30%
  • The phaser banks are very well defined, top and bottom of the saucer.
  • The bridge module is far better defined.
  • Alongside the edge of the saucer, the windows are respectable defined. The Eaglemoss version has a bunch of big, blocky white squares.
  • Behind the bridge module, the Hot Wheels version contains the marking "Enterprise NCC-1701"
  • The top of the impulse drive has well-defined ridges shooting out from the center. The Eaglemoss version is just a blue bump.
  • The deflector dish contains ridges, whereas Eaglemoss doesn't
  • Has a line going down the center of the nacelle pylons. The Eaglemoss pylons are blank.
  • The red paint on the impulse engines is clearly and neatly applied. The Eaglemoss version has a bit (45%) of red missing on the right impulse engine.
  • Considerable detail by comparison on the secondary hull. Lots of deep lines.
  • The shuttle bay has had justice done to it. The Eaglemoss version... yikes... it's just a smooth, rounded surface!
  • The top front of the nacelles isn't transparent blue like the Eaglemoss version. What was Eaglemoss thinking?!
  • The torpedo launcher looks correct on the Hot Wheels version. The Eaglemoss version looks like someone poked it a bit with a hot needle in a bunch of places.
  • The secondary hull is metal instead of plastic.
  • The seams in general are a lot less conspicuous. The seams on the Eaglemoss version, specifically between the secondary hull and the neck, and the secondary hull and deflector on the right side -- yikes. Then there's the hideous seam running down the topside of the secondary hull.
  • There aren't little splotches of dark grey paint here and there on the Hot Wheels version.

Ways the Eaglemoss version is superior:
  • The saucer is made of metal instead of plastic.
  • The neck connects better on the underside of the saucer.
  • The nacelles appear to be made of more continuous and less pieces.
  • The bottom part of the secondary hull doesn't contain a hole for the stand-piece.

Honestly, I'm just wondering what the deal was. Perhaps they were under time constraints and they just couldn't get the aztec pattern on. Or maybe they wanted to leave some room for NCC-1701-A to look different and more polished.

Bottom line? The Eaglemoss Enterprise Refit felt... blank.

A more reasonable price for the Eaglemoss Enterprise Refit? I'd have to say $7, tops.

dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 02:54 AM   #524
Sans
Lieutenant

Rumor is that the 1701-A will be far superior to the refit.
Old November 22 2013, 03:07 PM   #525
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Based on what is known from the test run of this series a year or so ago, I believe the refit model was made by a different company that who they have now. Hence, the quality of the later models of this new company should be better, including the A, yes.