Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 26 2013, 06:23 AM   #91
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: The Ashes 2013

I thought Clarke should have held off the declaration a bit longer. While I thought the target was too generous I was more concerned about the shape of Harris, Siddle and Starc and whether they still had it in them to defend such a total. The almost result suggests they didn't.

As for the light rule, it's one of those that fans like when their team gets the benefit, but hate when it goes against them. Australia were on the bad need a few times in the series and it seems the rub of the green balanced out and it (plus a slow down by Australia) prevented a loss. No doubt if it was England 9 down with Andersen and Kerrigan in when play was called off the booing would be a lot smaller and likely drowned out by the cheering.

Anyway, in the end it doesn't matter. England won the Ashes handsomely. Australia looks like they might have figured out one or two or their problems, but the other half dozen are still floating around. Australia needs to hope they can deal with some of their issues and that England's batting line up doesn't suddenly click if they want to get a different result at home.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2013, 09:18 AM   #92
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

In some ways it seems bizarre that we lost the series so comprehensively given that Bell was the only one of England's batsmen to play with any consistency across the series and that Anderson really only had a major impact on one Test. I reckon those facts say more about how ordinary we were than anything else, but no sane person could argue that England didn't deserve that result. We had some good sessions but they won all the "big" moments in the series.

Hopefully Cook, Trott et al don't get going over here or it could be another nightmare in a few months' time.

I'd like to believe we'll be more competitive on our own turf but frankly the issues in Australian cricket aren't going to go away within several years, never mind a few months. This article contains a few rather peculiar assertions about Australian sport but the author's assessment of the problems facing cricket in this country are pretty much dead-on.

Until hostilities (which seems an accurate word to use; there doesn't appear to be much love lost between these sides) recommence...
Old November 22 2013, 08:47 AM   #93
Jono
Rear Admiral

Well, what a first two days of the return series. After yesterday I where it looked like it would be the same old thing from this current national team I wouldn't have been the only one thinking they might go 12 months without a win. Today, things went crazy and Australia has managed to bowl England out for 136 thanks to a great post lunch session and are now building on that.

Most surprising is that Johnson is the hero of these first two days. It was his partnership with Haddin yesterday that saw Australia able to get close to 300 and today he took 4 wickets as well. Back in the series in England I remember one of the brit commentators saying Johnson for Brisbane and thought he was insane...looks like he made a good prediction.

I want to say that they will win, but this Australian team has shown they can lose from anywhere.
Old November 22 2013, 08:53 AM   #94
Llama
Captain

/\ yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how Australia balls this up...

OTOH, why would anyone rather watch T20 over this?!?
Old November 22 2013, 09:20 AM   #95
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

^
A better question, IMO: Why would anyone watch hit 'n' giggle pseudo-cricket over anything?

Still a long way to go in this Test, never mind the series, and now Johnson's gotten his solitary half-decent performance per series out of the way it'll be back to the usual dross from him.

Hopefully we can build a lead around 450 plus, which I'd suggest is about the minimum required. I won't hold my breath or anything, though.
Old November 22 2013, 10:11 AM   #96
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Give me test cricket over that T20 rubbish.

I still think we can win, but we need first session tomorrow. And the rest of team needs to score some runs.

On Johnson - I hope he can back up for second innings and future tests. Only time shall tell.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 04:30 AM   #97
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Botany Bay

Welcome to another Ashes summer, cricket fans

Once again, all I hope for is a series that is live right into the new year with an Australian team that plays as if they have some pride in the baggy green.

I want to see an Australian XI proving that test cricket means something to them. It means the world to me (and a few others on here by the looks of it), and I think that's why I've struggled to enjoy the last five years or so when Australia plays - never get the impression that the baggy green means all that much to them (with a couple of exceptions : Hi Siddle, Huss, Punter and Katich).

Have only seen bits and pieces of this test so far but here's hoping this series isn't over by the second test like the Ashes of a few months ago. So far, so good.

A few things I never want to hear again from a commentator : Siddle is a vegetarian, Clarke is an innovator, and Nathan Lyon was lucky to play today. I watched that post-lunch session yesterday, and England looked set to bat for days, then Lyon came on and bamboozled the settled Carberry. Sure, Johnson got the wicket in the books, but Lyon unsettled him, and after Carberry went the floodgates opened, turning the match on its head. So please, media pundits, give Lyon the respect he is due. Thanks.

I'm with you Orac Zen, Australia look impregnable from here, but no champagne being popped here just yet - I remember thinking we had England on toast at the Gabba in 2010, then Strauss and Cook put on about 400 from memory - so no cavalier declarations please Clarke, just bat them out of the game with 600 lead if possible then take it from there.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 09:19 AM   #98
Jono
Rear Admiral

Decent day for Australia. Two centuries from Warner and Clarke and Haddin and Johnson again battled well for them to set up a big run chase for England. Also got two wickets before the end of the day. Still a long way to go, but you'd definitely rather be in the Australian shoes than the English at this point.
Old November 23 2013, 09:25 AM   #99
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Botany Bay

All going to plan so far, but I have to say I would like to have seen Cook get out. He batted 625 minutes at the 'Gabba in 2010.

One massive positive is that the other run machine of that tour, Trott, has been mentally shot to bits by Australia over the last six tests - a big win for us. He has gone from one of my most feared Englishmen to a walking wicket - he would want to score some runs in Adelaide.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old November 23 2013, 09:41 AM   #100
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Wow. Been flat out all day and so it was rather startling to learn we were 550-plus in front when the radio reception became half-decent. I'm too used to seeing us screw up monumentally in these situations, I suppose.

Good to see Clarke shove it up his critics again but he needs to demonstrate this isn't a one-off performance. The Aunty commentators mentioned at one stage that he averages much more in the second innings against England than the first and it'd be good to see him turn that around.

It would have been even better to see England 3 or 4 down at stumps but for the first time in a long time, I'd rather be in our position than theirs. Still a long way to go, though, and there remain several Poms who can bat for days if need be. Here's hoping that doesn't happen; as BB said, this series needs to be a contest and several of our lot need to demonstrate that an Ashes series actually does mean as much to them as they say it does.
Old November 24 2013, 09:22 AM   #101
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

So we've actually won a Test at last.

I only saw bits and pieces of the day's play but it looked to be a combination of some half-decent, patient bowling and a few abysmal shots from batsmen who usually make life hell for us.

Surely Lyon has now demonstrated with some finality that he is the only viable option in the spin department. Unless he's injured or has some sort of catastrophic form loss, he must now be among the first picked in every Test side we send out. He got the critical wickets again in the second innings and looked to be bowling particularly well to me.

The worry is that we're depending on Harris (myriad fitness issues) and Johnson (who averages one half-decent Test per series) to get us through this series. If anything happens to Harris and when Johnson reverts to normal the cupboard is pretty bare, given the injuries to most of our supposedly outstanding young bowling brigade. The batting remains, to say the least, uninspiring. Watson's lack of preparation showed and Warner is hardly renowned for his consistency. Clarke and Haddin (who should have been player of the match, IMO) aside, the rest did little.

Anderson's effort in this game reinforces why I don't rate him as a great bowler. Sure his record is impressive but when conditions don't suit he doesn't seem to have anything else to go to. Tremlett looked ordinary. Some of their batsmen need to have a bit of a look at themselves, too. Cook's captaincy was pretty ordinary; giving away singles to a bloke with 7000-plus runs and 20-plus centuries in Test cricket reeked of arrogance and ignorance. To some extent England deserved to lose on that basis alone.

This is a nice start to the series but that's all it is. It would be a huge surprise if England didn't bounce back hard. I expect the next Test, at the now-hideous Adelaide Oval, to be quite different.
Old November 25 2013, 09:36 AM   #102
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
One massive positive is that the other run machine of that tour, Trott, has been mentally shot to bits by Australia over the last six tests - a big win for us. He has gone from one of my most feared Englishmen to a walking wicket - he would want to score some runs in Adelaide.
That wouldn't be happening, as going home due to stress related illness. Not sure how to react to this.

It was great to Australia win. It will be interesting to see how England return and if we can continuing like we did.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:57 AM   #103
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

The Graun is describing Trott's situation as a long-term thing, which doesn't sound too good. I hope all will be well with him sooner rather than later.

Pretty laughable that Clarke's been fined for his fracas with Anderson - who from all accounts was hardly a shrinking violet himself during this Test. Seems as though Clarke's big crime was dropping an f-bomb into the...conversation, and if the Nine people had killed the audio from the stump mike as briskly as they usually do it would have been water under the bridge. But as ever the ICC are on top of the really big issues in the sport.
Old November 28 2013, 09:27 PM   #104
Botany Bay
Commodore

Best wishes to Jonathan Trott for a full recovery. A brave decision to take his battle into the public arena, but he has made the right choice. There are things more important than entertaining the masses, and Trott has made the right call.

He was a classy bat who sealed England's 2009 Ashes win with a ton on debut. He struck me as a Kallis-type : completely unflappable, cool under fire, and very very dangerous. He confirmed this in 2010/11, making us chase leather for two months as he piled on the runs with a display of leg side stroke making that V.V.S. Laxman would have been proud of. Trott leaves a big hole in their top order, one that surely must be filled by Ian Bell. Bring Bairstow back in at 6, and suddenly that impressive batting line up has a few holes in it, particularly with the dangerous Prior wondering where his next run is going to come from.

I have to say that while it was nice to see the team have a win, and Johnson unleash some fearsome fast bowling (who knows, perhaps this is, at last, the time when he does his talents justice), the manner of victory left a bit to be desired. I am going to just come right out and say it : I am not a fan of 'Davey' Warner. His comments about Trott were despicable, and someone of his intellect, temperament and level of talent would be wise to keep his thoughts to himself and enjoy the ride. Especially because :

Orac Zen wrote: View Post

The worry is that we're depending on Harris (myriad fitness issues) and Johnson (who averages one half-decent Test per series) to get us through this series. If anything happens to Harris and when Johnson reverts to normal the cupboard is pretty bare, given the injuries to most of our supposedly outstanding young bowling brigade. The batting remains, to say the least, uninspiring. Watson's lack of preparation showed and Warner is hardly renowned for his consistency. Clarke and Haddin (who should have been player of the match, IMO) aside, the rest did little.
I agree 100%.

As for the sledging, I didn't hear any. Sledging is clever, funny banter designed to get under the opponent's skin, and put them off their game. All I heard out there were thugs threatening to assault each other eg : Clarke, who, to my eyes looks like he is in a horrible place mentally as well. Maybe he should be having the same re-evaluation as Trott. Perhaps a series win here would be a good time for him to bow out as well - from his press conferences (which have gone from anodyne, confected, corporate spin and jibberish into the realms of the hilarious) to his spiteful outburst to Anderson, his mind looks in even worse shape than his body. I don't care if you don't like Anderson because he whacked you with a pad once and gets you out a lot - you are the captain of Australia and the million kids watching demand better than what you served up.

We have a series threatening to explode into something very, very ugly, now. All the unpleasant incidents in these type of series usually come when everyone is worn out in the fifth test, but we are a long way from there. How you win is more important than the win itself. I sincerely hope the likes of Taylor and Gilchrist are being employed in some kind of mentoring role for our players. I would hate to see this series blacken the sport with a really regrettable incident on the field, but I am afraid that is the territory we are in. You get the feeling that one ill-advised remark from either side could seriously set this thing off.
Bob Justman, 1967.

Last edited by Botany Bay; November 28 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old December 5 2013, 09:18 AM   #105
Botany Bay
Commodore

Australia 273/5, Stumps Day 1.

A very nicely poised game here. I think England may regret dropping three very catchable chances. Australia could have been easily bowled out today, which would have been a disaster on a wicket that looks like a bowlers' graveyard. Someone will end up with a very, very big score on this deck.

The Haddin/Clarke partnership looms as vital. If Australia push on to 400 they should be safe, but 350ish will leave them vulnerable to some potential last innings pressure. Clarke looks like he's struggling with his back again, but his partnership with Bailey settled us when it looked like England were going to rip through us either side of tea.

England could have stormed back into the series today, but they blew it. The most likely scenario is a draw, which would suit us fine. The biggest danger for us is Harris, Johnson, Watson and Siddle being bowled into the ground over the next few days and injuring themselves with only Lyon able to provide spin.

So, the draw looks good here, but Australia's wobbly top order have made what looked like a potentially dull test into something quite interesting.
Bob Justman, 1967.