IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 2 2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Nightowl1701
Commander

Re: PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Bumping up now that Issue #9 is out...

Wow. I am pleasantly surprised, and glad my guess was off. I did not see that coming. Allyn, I'm afraid the Tiptons proved you wrong - they are meta and trolling as hell.
Nightowl1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 10:43 PM   #32
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Bumping up now that Issue #9 is out...

Wow. I am pleasantly surprised, and glad my guess was off. I did not see that coming. Allyn, I'm afraid the Tiptons proved you wrong - they are meta and trolling as hell.
I'm not getting my copy until tomorrow.

And if I didn't guess correctly on a Tipton story, then I'll be pleasantly surprised after how predictable Assimilation2 was.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 03:13 AM   #33
The Wormhole
Admiral

Yeah, I have to wait to get my copy too. But I won't object to having whatever this big spoiler is posted. Spoiler coded of course.
Old October 3 2013, 11:22 AM   #34
Nightowl1701
Commander

All right, if you're sure you want to know...

Nightowl1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 02:31 PM   #35
The Wormhole
Admiral

Old October 3 2013, 02:55 PM   #36
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

A rather brilliant twist, though. And rather unexpected, IMO.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:13 PM   #37
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Gotta be honest. The villain here has a point.

allyngibson.net
Old October 6 2013, 12:54 PM   #38
StCoop
Commodore

Just finished reading #9. I've gotten so used to spotting twists in fiction well in advance that l'd almost forgotten what it's like to be genuinely surprised.

Doesn't make up for the Trek crossover, though.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2013, 10:20 PM   #39
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I think i honestly said "really..." when it was revealed to be who it is.
Old November 21 2013, 10:55 PM   #40
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The final issue came out yesterday.

Eleven Doctors and an uncountable number of companions leap into battle against Adam, the Ainley Master, and the Autons.

What results is panel after panel of Doctors and companions, some getting a line of dialogue, some not. The resolution doesn't have a lot to do with the Doctors or the companions; the post-2005 Doctors and Rose, for obvious reasons, get the most facetime (because they know Adam), there's betrayal and counter-betrayal, and ultimately the story rests on Adam's decisions.

The final page is baffling. It's unearned. And, frankly, there really needs to be an across-the-board mindwipe of everyone, Rose especially.

On the plus side, we got an eleven Doctors story. On the minus side, it wasn't very good and I'm still not clear that the Tiptons have ever watched Doctor Who.

allyngibson.net
Old November 22 2013, 04:01 AM   #41
The Wormhole
Admiral

Damned if I know when I'll be getting the final issue. The only day I have off from work this week is Saturday, and I kinda have a thing going on then that'll keep me in the house.

So feel free to post spoilers (spoiler coded, of course). I'm kind of intrigued by this "unearned final page."
Old November 22 2013, 05:12 AM   #42
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So feel free to post spoilers (spoiler coded, of course). I'm kind of intrigued by this "unearned final page."
I'm going to spoiler this. You're warned.

I think I can say, after reading twenty Doctor Who comics written by the Tipton brothers, that I'm confident that they've never watched Doctor Who. Ever.

allyngibson.net
Old November 22 2013, 08:19 AM   #43
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I never read anything good from those guys, I guess they must be cheap?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 10:40 AM   #44
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The Tiptons are my favorite IDW Trek writers. But their DW stuff has been admittedly not as powerful.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2014, 11:50 PM   #45
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter

I got the hardback edition in the mail and finished reading it today.

The art ranged from awful (Fifth, Eighth) to great (Second, Sixth, the final three issues), but story is where it was rather lacking. Aside from the fact that I was spoiled that Adam was the big baddie, I found the plot to be predictable and often boring. Some of the individual romps were engaging (Second, Third, Sixth), others didn't seem to have any point (Fifth), and a few needed another revision or two because of poor pacing (First, Fourth). Additionally, as Allyn noted with the first issue, I felt most of them didn't really invoke that particular era at all, even if the dialogue was spot-on (Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Tenth). Lastly, I agree that the final page was unearned and completely out of place. I can see Rose and The Ninth Doctor mourning for Adam's death, but certainly not all of the other companions and the proceeding Doctors, and to call him "One True Companion" makes no sense whatsoever.

I know I sound very harsh on this series, especially considering how much I love The Forgotten (and I know many people didn't like it), but I felt like The Forgotten had more interesting themes and captured the individual eras better than this series.

Overall, an enjoyable read, but it's kind of sad that I got more enjoyment out of visual gags like "Just Police Boxes," "Babel Fish Aquarium" and "The lunatic is on the grass" than the actual series.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote