Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate the tv movie
Excellent 95 83.33%
Above Average 17 14.91%
Average 2 1.75%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 22 2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

Not seeing it until Saturday unfortunately. Can't wait.
Old November 22 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Starkers
Admiral

Re: An Adventure in Space and Time - Grade and Discuss

Absolutely magnificent. Just really lovely.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 12:31 AM   #3
ITL
Vice Admiral

Wonderful stuff. Well worth a watch.
Old November 22 2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I can't see it until Sunday at the earliest when I'm back in Brussels. Ironically, I'm on holiday in London but I was at a concert tonight.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Wereghost
Commodore

Giving it four out of five (which is my "excellent", basically).

Some lovely moments, such as the one where Lambert and Hussein hug each other after the ratings are released. Reece Shearsmith's Doctor Two was spot on, also (though how accurate that was to Troughton himself, I'm not sure).

The bit at the end took me out of it somewhat. I wonder if we'll be seeing that scene in a different context before the end of the year.
Old November 22 2013, 01:57 AM   #6
SeerSGB
Admiral

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Giving it four out of five (which is my "excellent", basically).

Some lovely moments, such as the one where Lambert and Hussein hug each other after the ratings are released. Reece Shearsmith's Doctor Two was spot on, also (though how accurate that was to Troughton himself, I'm not sure).

The bit at the end took me out of it somewhat. I wonder if we'll be seeing that scene in a different context before the end of the year.
I hope they don't change the context. At it stands, it's a sweet, almost tender moment. I like it just for that allow. Don't need any extra context.
Old November 22 2013, 03:58 AM   #7
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

That moment at the end didn't quite work for me. A transition over to Smith's own goodbye to the modern console to close it out would have worked a lot better if their intent was for a 'passing of the torch'/'and it continues to this day' moment. As it is, it kinda just looks like Matt Smith traveled back in time and walked on set.

Really my only complaint about the whole thing. I never would have thought I could enjoy it as much as I did. Well written, well acted, fantastic production values all around and damn near tear-jerking. If Gatiss could bring that level of pathos to the actual show, I say give him the reigns tomorrow.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

That was quite lovely. I smiled and giggled in a few places, and yes, even shed a few tears toward the end.

I'm sure over the next few days we'll read about how this scene didn't happen, or that bit wasn't quite right. But for now, I'm quite pleased with it as a wonderful tribute to the show we all love.

Excellent.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; November 22 2013 at 05:18 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Tom
Rear Admiral

Just got done watching it! That was amazing!!
Old November 22 2013, 05:29 AM   #10
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i thought it was really great. i loved some of the little things like the Cyberman smoking and Hartnell looking at a real police box.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Smoked Salmon
Lieutenant

Venardhi wrote: View Post
That moment at the end didn't quite work for me. A transition over to Smith's own goodbye to the modern console to close it out would have worked a lot better if their intent was for a 'passing of the torch'/'and it continues to this day' moment. As it is, it kinda just looks like Matt Smith traveled back in time and walked on set.
That wasn't really the point of the scene. Hartnell is rumoured to have held the belief when the show started that it would be a big success and go on for many years. This scene was a symbolic representation that his beliefs came true, that despite having to leave the role those beliefs have been vindicated and his legacy set the course for the future. So not really passing the torch in the classic sense of the phrase since it wasn't really meant to be the 11th Doctor showing up.
Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It doesn't really watch that way though. It was just kind of awkward. My thought process was: "Oh hey, there is Matt Smith. Wait, does he actually see him there? I wonder if we'll transition to a dramatized scene of the modern production. Oh, guess not. Huh, that was odd."

They had a lot of options for that scene. A transition through each Doctor on his own TARDIS as Hartnell looks on before finally finishing on Smith where they share that moment and it comes back to him on his own set would have been a lot more effective.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:36 AM   #13
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

They had a lot of options for that scene. A transition through each Doctor on his own TARDIS as Hartnell looks on before finally finishing on Smith where they share that moment and it comes back to him on his own set would have been a lot more effective.
Drama rarely becomes more effective when you make it more complicated.
Old November 22 2013, 08:45 AM   #14
VDCNI
Captain

Yeah I've seen other people say they should have shown all the Doctor's but they would have had to use clips for that which would have taken away from the beautiful simplicity of the scene - it was a fleeting magical moment in a great drama, it didn't need anymore than that to get over the point they were making.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

That sounds dreadful. Why complicate an elegant and touching nod to the 50-year span of the show?