RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,522
Posts: 5,512,296
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 425
Newest member: Tosty82

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 21 2013, 02:55 AM   #106
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm really trying to sex up the name Jane.

I got nothing.
How about Janeway Kirk. Sort of has a ring to it.

I like Jocasta Kirk also. Jo for short.

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Not every STAR TREK character MUST be reverse-sexed. I feel that Sarek & Amanda should remain as they are, for example - with one exception: Amanda is the parent T'Spock has issues with. Amanda has unrealistic expectations of her daughter, that cause problems ... pushing T'Spock towards the relatively placid Sarek and the serenity of The Vulcan Way. There are other ways to switch genders in STAR TREK without ... switching genders.
I agree.
I can see T'Spock being Daddy's girl.
Sarek will be disappointed that Spock didn't want to settle down and marry a nice boy like Stonn instead of running off into space.

And if Spock's being played by a hot babe I think she will have different issues than male Spock. I mean Vulcan boys will still 'like' Spock while the girls will be jealous.
Thats why perhaps Spock shouldn't be played by a babe but a cool beauty.

Here's some gender-switched drawings I have in my collection:


SantaSpock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 03:02 AM   #107
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

Oh I definitely think T'Spock should be an ice princess. Of course, now and then we'd see her emotional side when she's in pon farr, or under some kind of influence. I'd have McCoy talk about how unhealthy it is that T'Spock represses her human side, so that when McCoy gives her grief, we understand it comes from a place of caring.
And then T'Spock's rejection of Stonn, or Pring, whatever, would be a feminist statement on independence and a rejection of the dark side of traditional marriage (female subjugation, submission, etc).
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:58 AM   #108
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I don't understand why most - all (?) - of those who seem for this idea of switching genders, should be so against having any fun with the feminine energy these women would undoubtedly bring to the new series. I think having Kirk seeing Spock in the hallway, first thing in the morning, and saying something like, "Oh, I love your hair! That looks cute on you ..." kind of thing would be great. But there seems to be a lot of resistance to anything like that. .
Because Janeway and B'Elanna were always talking like that.. NOT.

That's not feminine energy, that's high school.

We had a bit of that with Bev and Troi, and I can certainly see a female heart to heart happening (yes please) between Jaime Kirk and T'Spock at some point but what you are describing is a step down for our woman, the Captain.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:59 AM   #109
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

borgboy wrote: View Post
Oh I definitely think T'Spock should be an ice princess. Of course, now and then we'd see her emotional side when she's in pon farr, or under some kind of influence. I'd have McCoy talk about how unhealthy it is that T'Spock represses her human side, so that when McCoy gives her grief, we understand it comes from a place of caring.
And then T'Spock's rejection of Stonn, or Pring, whatever, would be a feminist statement on independence and a rejection of the dark side of traditional marriage (female subjugation, submission, etc).
I am in love with this idea.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 05:16 AM   #110
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

I was kind of braced to get criticized for that, as gender issues offend some people, so I'm glad that idea gets some support.
A variation of that idea, of a female Vulcan is a major plot point in the Vanguard novel series, which is excellent. My favorite character there is T'Prynne, a really interesting female Vulcan. There are so many cool things that happen with that character, but I don't want to spoil anything.
I love the drawing above.
Not to get off topic, but Kirk in the green toga makes me wonder, is there any reason why Kirk sometimes wears that green toga shirt instead of the standard yellow shirt? Does it serve some purpose, is it supposed to be a dress shirt vs everyday shirt or something?
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 07:10 AM   #111
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

I haven't read Vanguard.

Thing is though arranged marriages may work well for their society their method for getting out of arranged marriages is illogical and barbaric and probably would cause a lot of pain. Imagine what it is like for the family of one who loses the kal-if-fee and dies. Spock is just a cog in the whole system in Amok Time, it would be great to see T'Spock taking a different tack and not silencing real issues with the word tradition.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 08:14 AM   #112
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

teacake wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I don't understand why most - all (?) - of those who seem for this idea of switching genders, should be so against having any fun with the feminine energy these women would undoubtedly bring to the new series. I think having Kirk seeing Spock in the hallway, first thing in the morning, and saying something like, "Oh, I love your hair! That looks cute on you ..." kind of thing would be great. But there seems to be a lot of resistance to anything like that. .
Because Janeway and B'Elanna were always talking like that.. NOT.

That's not feminine energy, that's high school.

We had a bit of that with Bev and Troi, and I can certainly see a female heart to heart happening (yes please) between Jaime Kirk and T'Spock at some point but what you are describing is a step down for our woman, the Captain.
When Beverley and Troi did that I thought of them as lightweights.
I worked in professional offices for many years and no-one commented on hair or makeup unless someone was obviously dressed to the nines (going on a job interview).

I can't imagine girl Kirk even saying 'cute'
SantaSpock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 08:16 AM   #113
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral
 
Hanukkah Solo's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

borgboy wrote: View Post
Not to get off topic, but Kirk in the green toga makes me wonder, is there any reason why Kirk sometimes wears that green toga shirt instead of the standard yellow shirt? Does it serve some purpose, is it supposed to be a dress shirt vs everyday shirt or something?
The green wraparound was looser than the gold/avocado pullover and didn't hug Shatner's gut as much.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 08:38 AM   #114
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

I love the green wrap around.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 10:47 AM   #115
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

teacake wrote: View Post
That's not feminine energy, that's high school.
(SNIP!)
... what you are describing is a step down for our woman, the Captain.
... What?!
How dare you shoot me down?
... How dare you?!?!?!
__________________
"― And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 10:51 AM   #116
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I can't imagine girl Kirk even saying 'cute'
Now, listen here ...
__________________
"― And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 10:58 AM   #117
2takesfrakes
Commodore
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

BigJake wrote: View Post
Oh hey, love me some feminine energy. It's just that feminine energy doesn't always need to be cutesy. If I want to gender-switch Captain Kirk I want his female version to kick at least as much ass as Ellen Ripley -- who was still plenty feminine but never cutesy about it.
The Voice of Reason, at last - someone who actually agrees with me! Now this is what I call "good reading" ...

By the way, I thought your outline of those female VOYAGER characters summed them up, quite nicely.
__________________
"― And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 01:55 PM   #118
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

Skywalker wrote: View Post
borgboy wrote: View Post
Not to get off topic, but Kirk in the green toga makes me wonder, is there any reason why Kirk sometimes wears that green toga shirt instead of the standard yellow shirt? Does it serve some purpose, is it supposed to be a dress shirt vs everyday shirt or something?
The green wraparound was looser than the gold/avocado pullover and didn't hug Shatner's gut as much.
I'm rewatching season one, and Kirk gets shirtless fairly often, and at this point's he's fit and in his prime,and looks good shirtless. He didn't have a gut then. I also wonder if there's any explanation why in one episode Sulu is wearing the science blue shirt, and in another episode, Uhura is wearing a gold mini dress.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:06 PM   #119
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain
 
SantaSpock's Avatar
 
Location: CommishSleer
View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

borgboy wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
borgboy wrote: View Post
Not to get off topic, but Kirk in the green toga makes me wonder, is there any reason why Kirk sometimes wears that green toga shirt instead of the standard yellow shirt? Does it serve some purpose, is it supposed to be a dress shirt vs everyday shirt or something?
The green wraparound was looser than the gold/avocado pullover and didn't hug Shatner's gut as much.
I'm rewatching season one, and Kirk gets shirtless fairly often, and at this point's he's fit and in his prime,and looks good shirtless. He didn't have a gut then. I also wonder if there's any explanation why in one episode Sulu is wearing the science blue shirt, and in another episode, Uhura is wearing a gold mini dress.
I'm not the expert here but I heard that they changed Communications to be a part of Operations because Nichols looked better in red than in gold.
Sulu was a physicist in 'Where no Man Has Gone Before'. He changed to helm by the next episode.
SantaSpock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 09:49 PM   #120
Shat Happens
Captain
 
Shat Happens's Avatar
 
Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
I think having Kirk seeing Spock in the hallway, first thing in the morning, and saying something like, "Oh, I love your hair! That looks cute on you ..." kind of thing would be great. But there seems to be a lot of resistance to anything like that. .
Kirk and Spock are still supposed to be friends, right? I thought those compliments on hair/clothes/shoes/etc meant the girls HATE each other's guts
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.