Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 21 2013, 04:56 AM   #331
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Arrow - Season 2

Merlyn's return didn't really surprise me. Thea being his bastard daughter was the more surprising thing to come out of that scene.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 05:09 AM   #332
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

It does make Thea's crush on Tommy in the first season a little icky
Old November 21 2013, 05:17 AM   #333
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Weakest episode of the season.

The island stuff was boring. The trial stuff was boring (and poorly written). The Count was boring. And the soap opera crap at then end was stupid.
Old November 21 2013, 05:56 AM   #334
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I don't like Laurel acting PMS-sy all the time, but then she's been like that from the very beginning, and I don't really care for her character. She's always bitchy to Oliver. She warned Moira, "Don't testify, or I'm going to ruin you!" I'm sure she did it in Moira's best interest and was also doing her job as a prosecutor, but she always comes off as bitchy anyway, even when she felt guilty over the whole thing. The less I see of Laurel, the better the episode.

In any case, I'm glad to see Moira acquitted, though the verdict did seem odd, since a crime of that magnitude should warrant a life sentence at the very least.

EDIT: I was watching and typing at the same time, so now it would appear that it was Merlyn's doing that Moira is now a free woman.

Next episode: Barry Allen!
Old November 21 2013, 07:04 AM   #335
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I saw something a few weeks ago about Barrowman returning. Enjoyable episode. Bring on next week.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 03:38 PM   #336
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

So now Barrowman plays two characters who have trouble staying dead. Would love to see a Lazuras pit at some point in this show.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 03:49 PM   #337
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

In a (so far) spectacular season, the court scenes in this episode really stood out as inept and mishandled.

Jean Loring is the worst lawyer I have ever seen on a television program. She objected once when Thea took the stand and was overruled. After that, she didn't bother to object again -- even when Laurel was just blasting her client with allegation after allegation and not even bothering to pretend to be cross-examining Moira.

Every time they cut to Jean at the defendant's table, she was just watching blankly as her client and their defense strategy was being ripped apart or she was jotting notes on a legal pad (probably devising elaborate murder schemes to reunite her with her ex-husband).

After the verdict was announced and Ollie reacted by doubting its authenticity, I expected him to say, "Innocent? But Jean Loring was her attorney..." At least the verdict was explained away as being the result of Merlyn's tampering and not the result of Jean Loring's terrible skills or the jury being swayed by Moira's stiff and unsympathetic testimony.

Bungled defense aside, the decision by District Attorney Manhunter to make Laurel the lead counsel in such a high-profile case against the mother of her ex-boyfriend and current BFF makes zero sense. Clearly this was done for dramatic reasons, but it remains preposterous on several levels.

However: whenever the show exited the courthouse, Arrow returned to being the cool show that I've greatly enjoyed this past season. The prison breakout and Doll-Maker cameo were excellent and -- though I hated the killer GA of last season -- the arrows into the chest of Vertigo weren't unwarranted or indiscriminate. In this situation, I feel he was justified to use lethal means. My hope is that this action has consequences in future episodes and not just shrugged off by the character or his writers.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:07 PM   #338
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Jean Loring is the worst lawyer I have ever seen on a television program. She objected once when Thea took the stand and was overruled. After that, she didn't bother to object again -- even when Laurel was just blasting her client with allegation after allegation and not even bothering to pretend to be cross-examining Moira.
Totally agree with this. I was puzzled by it too. I couldn't figure out if it was just lazy writing (writers couldn't do five minutes of research) or if they intentionally wrote it that way.

There were at least three times she could have objected and any judge in America would have sustained. Of course, I don't know anything about Canadian law, so it's a chance they didn't know, but I find it highly unlikely that Canadian prosecutors are allowed ask leading questions to non-hostile witnesses or provide testimony.
Old November 21 2013, 04:17 PM   #339
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I agree most of the trial made little sense. Learning that Malcolm Meryln manipulated it did make sense than. There was some lazy writing there no doubt. But I suspect the DA was completely under his influence. It was a show trial to get revenge on Moria by tainting her public reputation. But also done so she did get away with her role in the undertaking. So the jury was given responsibility for giving her a pass.

Not clear on what Malcolm's motivation in helping her at all though? They secretly had a daughter. Thea is never going to accept him. He must have a larger agenda.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:19 PM   #340
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

The show is produced in Canada but I believe the main writers and producers are American.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:29 PM   #341
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
The show is produced in Canada but I believe the main writers and producers are American.
There's a novelty. There's no need for me to ever visit Vancouver or BC as I think every aspect must have been shown on TV over the past couple of decades.
Old November 21 2013, 05:28 PM   #342
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

You guys better be nice to Jean or she will tap dance on your brain. Speaking of Jean it would be nice if she would introduce Ray on the show at some point next season. This year is way to crowded.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 07:17 PM   #343
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Wow, what a twist!

I thought there were a few good moments in the show. Thea walking around with boxing gloves was a funny image, but it led to a tender moment between her a Roy.

I loved the Count and I hope he's not really dead. Ollie shooting him was nicely handled, and I liked the moment that he shared with Felicity afterwards.

The other bit I liked was when Ollie returned to the courthouse and Thea asked him if he was okay, I'm wondering if soon he'll reveal his identity to her.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 07:37 PM   #344
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

This episode was pretty weak. I was bored by the island stuff, and I wish Merlyn had stayed dead, although the end reveal was interesting. I'm not liking CW's stupid scheduling. It skips next week, then the mid season finale starts. It seems to me there was a time where we didn't have stupid mid season finales for shows, even live action ones. Its just stupid. Still, hopefully Barry Allen will be interesting on Arrow, they could easily screw him up.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 07:48 PM   #345
sojourner
Admiral

A lot of shows are skipping next week due to thanksgiving.