Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old November 20 2013, 06:56 PM   #91
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Re: Casting a Gender-Switched Enterprise

I still prefer Jamie Kirk.
I was thinking today how great Helen Mirren would be as Captain Jeanette Picard.
Old November 20 2013, 07:07 PM   #92
2takesfrakes
Commodore

If Helen Mirren's in, then I want Kitty Aldridge starring, too ...

Old November 20 2013, 10:10 PM   #93
BigJake
Vice Admiral

2takes: I'm looking to work Rosamund Pike into my picks for the extended cast. I do heart her but I just can't think of anyone more perfect than Jacobi for the role of Jane / Janet / Jamie / Jaime / Jackie / Jackeen / Jacklyn / Jamila / Janice / Jade / Jasmine / Jessamin / Jessie / Jealousy / Jezebel / Jocasta / Jolene / Judith / Judy Kirk.
Old November 20 2013, 10:50 PM   #94
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Why Rosamund Pike? Wouldn't Christine or some variation of that be closer to Christopher?
Old November 20 2013, 11:04 PM   #95
BigJake
Vice Admiral

Rosamund Pike = our-universe hotter-than-the-hottest-star British actress Rosamund Pike, not a suggestion for gender-flipping Christopher Pike.
Old November 20 2013, 11:27 PM   #96
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Oh ok I've never heard of the actress, so I thought Pike had been given an unlikely female name.
Old November 20 2013, 11:43 PM   #97
2takesfrakes
Commodore

BigJake wrote: View Post
2takes: I'm looking to work Rosamund Pike into my picks for the extended cast. I do heart her but I just can't think of anyone more perfect than Jacobi for the role of Jane / Janet / Jamie / Jaime / Jackie / Jackeen / Jacklyn / Jamila / Janice / Jade / Jasmine / Jessamin / Jessie / Jealousy / Jezebel / Jocasta / Jolene / Judith / Judy Kirk.
Most of these names are hateful, good sir. Jamila illustrates this point, nicely. On the other hand ... your description to BorgBoy of Rosamund Pike was bang on!
Old November 21 2013, 12:13 AM   #98
BigJake
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Most of these names are hateful, good sir.
I am perhaps not being entirely serious.

I actually think Jacqueline / Jacklyn Kirk could work, on account of it could be shortened to "Jax" which is an actual nickname of an old friend of mine who is awesome. (Also, the names Jacqueline and James both come from the same root.) Jane still scans better, though.

Jamie Kirk still just not for me... it just sounds too perky.
Old November 21 2013, 12:22 AM   #99
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Since I'm casting Katee Sackhoff as Jamie Kirk, I think the name works. She's really not perky, but I think the androgynous name works for her. Katee can be all woman and still have a kind of masculine quality about her, so I think the gender neutral name works for her. Maybe Jamie could be a knickname for a more formal name, although I'm not sure what Jamie would be a knickname for. Given the middle name of Tiberius (Tiberia?) his/her parents had some strange ideas on baby name anyways.
Old November 21 2013, 12:36 AM   #100
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I don't understand why most - all (?) - of those who seem for this idea of switching genders, should be so against having any fun with the feminine energy these women would undoubtedly bring to the new series. I think having Kirk seeing Spock in the hallway, first thing in the morning, and saying something like, "Oh, I love your hair! That looks cute on you ..." kind of thing would be great. But there seems to be a lot of resistance to anything like that.

Like, these women have to be fearless leaders - conservative, militaristic characters acting only in service of the story. Only occassionally, in an episode, making a point of their special bond. I take exception to that, I'm sorry. Show these ladies a trilling tribble and have them be all fem and girly ... Captain and all.

If CBS reboots TOS in this manner, I do hope they resist letting these women feel they're competing with the boys and have to prove themselves. They got the job ... they can let their hair down ... literally ... and have joy of it.
Old November 21 2013, 12:43 AM   #101
borgboy
Fleet Captain

My idea of Jamie Kirk would have a sense of humor, but she'd be the most butch of the girls. I'd see her being angsty and driven, married to her career with men only good for a brief fling. There would of course be friendship bonding, as there should be.
T'Spock would be an ice princess, of course, but McCoy would be more girly, but also a world weary divorcee, who compensates for missing her son by mothering the younger crew. I could see Sulu and Chekov being very girly. Scotty would be a bit of been around the block a couple times gal.
Oh, I did think of a new name for McCoy. Lenora makes sense, but I like Leah.
Old November 21 2013, 12:44 AM   #102
BigJake
Vice Admiral

I don't understand why most - all (?) - of those who seem for this idea of switching genders, should be so against having any fun with the feminine energy these women would undoubtedly bring to the new series.
Oh hey, love me some feminine energy. It's just that feminine energy doesn't always need to be cutesy. If I want to gender-switch Captain Kirk I want his female version to kick at least as much ass as Ellen Ripley -- who was still plenty feminine but never cutesy about it.
Old November 21 2013, 01:03 AM   #103
2takesfrakes
Commodore

... Understood and Confirmed!

I guess I've always felt that VOYAGER was very adverse to showing women be "cutesy" at all. I don't even think I really noticed it that much, because of Kes. She was so sweet and pixie-like, and so cute in her short hair, for the most part. I know that many fans don't care for her wholesomeness, or whatever. Chicks have to have a certain bitchiness, for them to be taken seriously in anything. Hats off to them, but I only hated that Kes had such a short shelf-life and her boyfriend.

THEN Rain Robinson comes along in FUTURE'S END, with her sort of loopy personality and now I'm noticing how bereft VOYAGER was of that, otherwise - and didn't need to be. I didn't think Rain was an idiot, or a fool. She was naive, to a certain degree, but she wasn't a joke. She was just "light," and I failed to find that lightness again, after Tom kissed her good-bye. I found that I missed it. When envisioning this Gender-Switch concept, most of us seem to not even have that on their radar. Chicks with attitude are the order of the day and I am in the minority, here ...
Old November 21 2013, 01:09 AM   #104
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Kes is my favorite Voyager character. She was sweet and cute, but that didn't mean she wasn't strong when she needed to be. It many ways it takes more strength to be gentle and kind, and affectionate the way that she was. She was the first person to accept the Doctor as a sentient being when everyone else just saw him as a tool.
Old November 21 2013, 01:18 AM   #105
BigJake
Vice Admiral

I guess I've always felt that VOYAGER was very adverse to showing women be "cutesy" at all. I don't even think I really noticed it that much, because of Kes. She was so sweet and pixie-like, and so cute in her short hair, for the most part. I know that many fans don't care for her wholesomeness, or whatever.
I liked Kes. In fact Kes was the only female regular on Voyager I much liked, but the problem with the others wasn't so much a lack of cuteness or the lighter qualities of womanhood.

Janeway would have been an impressive leader with a nice mixture of drive and femininity if the stories selling her leadership had been written more consistently, for instance.

Seven, aside from her magnificent... tracts of land... was stunted by an apparent need to have someone on the crew be "the logical one" who has to come to term with emotions, a redundancy as Tuvok was already filling that niche.

And as for B'Elanna:

Chicks have to have a certain bitchiness, for them to be taken seriously in anything.
I think this is a misconception and that she's a perfect example of it, a grating character whose feminine "strength" seems to consist of being permanently shrill, irrational and disagreeable, as if the writers had conceived her as permanently in "that time of the month." Terrible stuff.