RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 420
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 20 2013, 04:11 PM   #91
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
That is my feeling as well. I think the Yankees are going to most likely pay Cano close to what he expects
I'm not convinced this will happen. Cano has basically zero leverage in his talks with the Yankees, and of the top ten non-Yankee payrolls from last season:

Dodgers – No longer interested now that they signed a young Cuban to play 2B
Phillies – They already have an aging 2B signed for too much money
Red Sox – Just locked up Pedroia
Tigers – If they were going to spend big money this winter, they’d be extending Scherzer instead of looking to trade him. They seem to be at their limit for long-term mega contracts right now. But ... maybe?
Giants – Scutaro has two more years left, and if they’re going to spend on a bat, it’ll be an outfielder
Angels – Have a 2B signed for the next two years, and even Moreno knows now they need pitching more than anything
Rangers – Already have too many middle infielders
White Sox - It seems like Abreu was their big offensive spending target this winter, but that team is kind of a mess anyway
Blue Jays - Already have a 2B for the next two years. They took on too much bad money last winter, but like Detroit they have ownership that could theoretically open up the checkbook
Cardinals – Carpenter is young and cheap

This is why Jay-Z was trying to make such a show of the Mets supposedly being interested in Cano -- there's no market for him at the price he wants, and I think it's entirely possible that he'll have to eat a contract below $200 million.
I agree with every single thing you posted here. But they are still the Yankees, I don't put anything past them.
Old November 20 2013, 08:20 PM   #92
Skywalker
Admiral

The Steinbrenner sons aren't their father. They seem to be more interested in getting the team's payroll back down to a more manageable level. Every year they're so far above the luxury tax threshold means more money out of their pockets. Cano isn't going to get anything close to $300 million.
Old November 20 2013, 08:27 PM   #93
Scout101
Admiral

eh, he'll probably still end up close to/around 200m by the time he's done. 8/200 isn't unreasonable.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if the Yankees passed and someone else gave him the money. he's really just about the only thing left on the Yankees that's still trending upward and you have to respect. Rest is just dead money on declining players. Cano bolts, what's really left there? I'd laugh my ass off if he managed to walk across town and play for the Mets. Unfortunately, they're horribly managed and can't really afford it, having spent all their money on, uh, who do they have again?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 21 2013, 12:15 AM   #94
Use of Time
Commodore

I don't know what the Yankees are going to do with him but they are also close to that stage of needing another "face of the franchise" and he would be an easy frontrunner considering his tenure.
Old November 21 2013, 12:59 AM   #95
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh... for some reason Hawkins gets way more of a bad rap than he deserves. I'm not saying he's an All Star or anything, but he's a solid middle reliever, even if he's getting up there in age. Not a bad option for any time if his asking price isn't too high in the clouds.
Old November 21 2013, 03:28 AM   #96
Use of Time
Commodore

Kinsler swapped for Prince Fielder. I guess Profar can go to second base now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...rs-ian-kinsler
Old November 21 2013, 01:07 PM   #97
Scout101
Admiral

Fielder should hit about 90 HRs a year in Arlington...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old November 21 2013, 02:36 PM   #98
Use of Time
Commodore

The Tigers should be dancing in the streets. Unloading all of that money lets them extend Miggy and resign Scherzer. They can also move Miggy to first base to make room for their 3B prospect Castellanos.
Old November 21 2013, 03:05 PM   #99
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Tigers should be dancing in the streets. Unloading all of that money lets them extend Miggy and resign Scherzer. They can also move Miggy to first base to make room for their 3B prospect Castellanos.
It definitely leaves them with a big hole offensively, though. Kinsler's pretty much the definition of an average bat, and he's rather injury-prone, as well. And on defense, well, Castellanos isn't their third baseman of the future. At third, he was a guy with terrible range due to horribad instincts, despite good athleticism, who also fielded a stellar .921 in the minors, and he hasn't played the position at all in a year and a half and got dumped to the outfield because the Tigers determined he was completely hopeless at third. I don't know how that could possibly be spun as a positive for the team.

On top of that, the Tigers aren't really saving any money over the next few years, given that they're paying $30 million of Fielder's contract and Kinsler is owed something like $62 million.

So, really, this doesn't make a lick of sense from the Tigers' perspective.
Old November 21 2013, 03:07 PM   #100
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Kinsler swapped for Prince Fielder. I guess Profar can go to second base now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...rs-ian-kinsler
Eh, that one came out of nowhere... seems like a good deal for Texas though. The Tigers would seem to have gotten took at the surface level for a straight up trade for Kinsler and paying to move Fielder.
Old November 21 2013, 03:09 PM   #101
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Cano: Offer him 160/6 and tell him to take it or leave it. No deals for more than 6 years.

That Tiger trade is incredible for them. Allows Migeul to move to first, they can bring up a cheap stud from the minors and they lose Fielder's overblown contract.

I know Texas was looking for pop in the middle of their line-up, but I'm not so sure this is the answer for them.
Old November 21 2013, 03:18 PM   #102
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Yanks wrote: View Post
I know Texas was looking for pop in the middle of their line-up, but I'm not so sure this is the answer for them.
Fielder has averaged .297 / .396 / .913 over the past three seasons. Any team would kill to have that bat in the lineup.
Old November 21 2013, 03:51 PM   #103
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Fielder has averaged .297 / .396 / .913 over the past three seasons. Any team would kill to have that bat in the lineup.
I don't think his post season numbers do. Hasn't made his presence felt in the post season since 2011.
Old November 21 2013, 04:08 PM   #104
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I don't think his post season numbers do. Hasn't made his presence felt in the post season since 2011.
The idea that certain players are bad in important (i.e. high leverage) situations while other players excel in those situations is, for the most part, not a real phenomenon. There are stats you can look up which quantify this effect, and most players have a "clutch" value that varies wildly from year to year.

Case in point, Prince has a positive career "clutch" rating. But last year it was negative. Barry Bonds used to be the consummate absolutely killed by the media / fans for being the crazy unclutch guy, and then he had literally the greatest single World Series ever.

Your argument essentially boils down to, "Prince Fielder was crappy for 100 PAs and awesome for 1400 PAs; the 100 bad ones just happened to be in the playoffs, though, so fuck that guy."
Old November 21 2013, 04:12 PM   #105
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Fielder's post season numbers don't matter much if you don't... get to the post season. Baseball is a game of streaks, and a lot of people go cold for 5-7 games at a time. Just happens. Take Ortiz... based on his ACLS numbers would you have benched him during the WS Yanks?