Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 20 2013, 04:06 PM   #46
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

Yeah, this isn't a scandal. The Xbox 360's initial failure rate was a scandal, since that was at least 20% and possibly over 50%.
Old November 20 2013, 04:12 PM   #47
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The current rate of 0.4% is actually one the lowest of a major console in years, and during such a packed sales period, selling that many so fast, people are going to notice it more.

And bitch about it more online, while the people whose system is working, are busy playing it.
Old November 20 2013, 05:08 PM   #48
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

So... It would seem that Xbox One exclusives Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 have higher Metacritic averages than the PS4 exclusives. Forza's 2at 82 and DR3 is at 78. Now we just need to see where Ryse comes in.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 05:19 PM   #49
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
No, they don't need to update them just to turn them on, as faras I'm aware, they will work out of the box but they will be missing some of their features.
Actually, the Xbox One does need the day one update to be able to do anything, and the box comes with a warning that an internet connection is required for it to work. The PS4 can play singleplayer games without its update, but little else. It can't even play DVDs without it.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yeah, this isn't a scandal. The Xbox 360's initial failure rate was a scandal, since that was at least 20% and possibly over 50%.
The Xbox 360's initial failure rate wasn't that bad, roughly 1.5% of consoles failed within the first 24 hours. It was the longterm failure rate that was appalling. The RROD was primarily an overheating problem where the GPU was running so hot that it was causing micro-fractures in the solder connecting it to the board, with the board itself warping in some cases. That was a problem which came about only with extended use and wouldn't have caused problems for most people in the first week.

The key thing that many people on gaming sites are missing with the Blue Line of Death is that there's a difference between early failures in an electronic product and longterm failures, and that those two things are not necessarily connected (although they could be). Early product failures are usually due to issues with the manufacturing process where a certain percentage of units are always going to be defective. Those defective units will fail early, but the non-defective majority should have a normal lifespan if the product itself is well designed.

The BLOD, if it's a bigger problem than Sony are saying right now, is probably due to manufacturing issues that Sony can address on their end. The RROD was a design problem that required a product redesign to properly fix. It's far too early right now to tell if the PS4 has a similar design problem, we'll only find that out with time, early failures cannot reliably predict that.
Old November 20 2013, 05:23 PM   #50
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
No, they don't need to update them just to turn them on, as faras I'm aware, they will work out of the box but they will be missing some of their features.
Actually, the Xbox One does need the day one update to be able to do anything, and the box comes with a warning that an internet connection is required for it to work. The PS4 can play singleplayer games without its update, but little else. It can't even play DVDs without it.
Ah, of course. I forgot about that with the Xbone. I had read the PS4 worked for single player out of the box, didn't realise it was so barebones on the software front without the update though.
Old November 20 2013, 08:20 PM   #51
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The key thing that many people on gaming sites are missing with the Blue Line of Death is that there's a difference between early failures in an electronic product and longterm failures, and that those two things are not necessarily connected (although they could be). Early product failures are usually due to issues with the manufacturing process where a certain percentage of units are always going to be defective. Those defective units will fail early, but the non-defective majority should have a normal lifespan if the product itself is well designed.
Good point. Nevertheless, it sucks for those who ended up getting a defective one. Hopefully Sony can quickly address the issue for those that were hit with it.

So, from what I understand, something in the way the HDMI cables interact with the TV was changed with the latest update that caused damaged PS4s to have problems such as freezes and being unable to boot up.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 08:26 PM   #52
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

There's a principle wire connecting the HDMI output to the motherboard that isn't designed very well, it can cause serious problems when it moves about, which happens on several on the consoles, the affected ones.

A rewiring or a new housing to that connector will solve the problem, which is not really any consolation to the people who can't get a replacement since all of the current units are spoken for.
Old November 20 2013, 08:43 PM   #53
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that does suck. Did hear about people who had ordered from Amazon who aren't able to get replacements because it's all they had and were spoken for. Not much they can do about that, other than to hope Sony can be quick about it and stomp out the angry voices.
Old November 20 2013, 10:27 PM   #54
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Ah, of course. I forgot about that with the Xbone. I had read the PS4 worked for single player out of the box, didn't realise it was so barebones on the software front without the update though.
Apparently you can download the patch on a PC, put it on an USB stick and install the patch from the USB stick on the PS4...
Another + for Sony...
And reports of bad PS4s should be taken with a grain of salt...
There might be MS/XB360 fanboys spreading false reports...
Old November 20 2013, 10:44 PM   #55
Yoda
Rear Admiral

^Oh c'mon...
Old November 20 2013, 10:45 PM   #56
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The problem may be exaggerated by MS (or even Nintendo) fanboys, but it's quite a leap to suggest it's been fabricated out of whole cloth.
Old November 21 2013, 04:00 AM   #57
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
Apparently you can download the patch on a PC, put it on an USB stick and install the patch from the USB stick on the PS4...
Another + for Sony...
You can do the exact same thing with the Xbox One.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 04:13 AM   #58
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The problem may be exaggerated by MS (or even Nintendo) fanboys, but it's quite a leap to suggest it's been fabricated out of whole cloth.

Yeah, exactly. I've actually come across people I know on other forums with the problem, including a friend of a former MS fanboy who decided to go with Sony this time around, only to get a defective PS4. Not exactly a great first impression for him, and it's not like anyone would make that up to that extent.
Old November 21 2013, 05:16 PM   #59
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Good point. Nevertheless, it sucks for those who ended up getting a defective one. Hopefully Sony can quickly address the issue for those that were hit with it.
Absolutely, it would suck to be one of those whose console broke down shortly after buying it. But a certain percentage of hardware failure is inevitable and I understand that, what matters most is that Sony have proper customer care systems in place that get new consoles to those affected quickly. That isn't the case according to some accounts, I've read stories of people being on hold with Sony tech support for four hours and then having the call dropped on them. That sort of thing shouldn't happen, and I'm far more worried about that than I am about a certain number of the consoles failing.

I'll say this for MS, when my first 360 broke down getting it replaced was a relatively painless process. I was on the phone for no more than 15 minutes and I had a replacement console within two weeks. I was more annoyed when that second console broke down as it was a few months after my 3-year warranty expired.
Old November 21 2013, 06:58 PM   #60
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Already have a Wii U. I'll wait about a year for games to come out for PS4.

I probably won't ever get an XBox One, just because a lot of the games I like are Japanese, and I feel like all the Western games I want will be cross platform and all the Japanese games I want will be PS4 or Wii U only. I don't like FPSes, and that's really the only kind of game that is likely to be XBox One exclusive.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote