Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 19 2013, 07:51 PM   #301
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/08/tmp2...otion-picture/

http://www.startrek.com/article/a-co...mp-merchandise
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 09:49 PM   #302
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I still don't know what McDonald's was thinking with the Star Trek: The Motion Picture Happy Meal. They must've had no clue what the movie was going to be like.
Old November 19 2013, 11:10 PM   #303
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
^ I don't think the concept of "upscale" movie tie-in merchandise even existed at the time.

I think the TMP toys must have bombed. I only ever remember seeing them in the tiny toy section of a JC Penny's, a store where no kid went of their own free will. The action figure package cards had pictures of aliens on them that, as far as I knew, hadn't even appeared in the movie, which I thought was odd. Later I noticed them, far in the background.
I have a complete collection of the 12 small figures.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 12:39 AM   #304
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
^ I don't think the concept of "upscale" movie tie-in merchandise even existed at the time.

I think the TMP toys must have bombed. I only ever remember seeing them in the tiny toy section of a JC Penny's, a store where no kid went of their own free will. The action figure package cards had pictures of aliens on them that, as far as I knew, hadn't even appeared in the movie, which I thought was odd. Later I noticed them, far in the background.
Especially for "kiddie" programming like Star Wars or Star Trek.

What you are thinking of a "quality" merchandise tie-ins are targeted at MY generation - the kids that went to see Star Wars and Star Trek and are grown up now with disposable income. Yes, Spock's Kolinar robe and Ilia's headband COULD have been produced in 1979/80, but nobody thought to do such things. I don't think the "quality" merchandise existed for ANY movie in that time period.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 01:36 AM   #305
2takesfrakes
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Something where, STAR TREK is not stamped all over something fashioned in the shape of Captain Kirk. Something you could present to someone and have them not even guess it was from a movie, at all. Much less TMP.
How would that in the least way be considered a "tie in?"

The idea would not be so much to promote the movie, or STAR TREK, in general, per se, but more to equate to owning some of the art of the movie, itself. Whether it was framed photos of any of the other ships called ENTERPRISE, from the Rec Room (photography), or the Ilia Probe's robe (fashion), or a reproduction of the sensor-necklace worn by Persis Khambatta, as the probe (jewelry) ... it's all art.

Some may consider it pap, others may consider it "upscale." But the inspiration for this art would've been the movie, itself - TMP, in this case. Whilst not an advert with STAR TREK and PARAMOUNT PICTURES stamped all over it, it's still tied-in. At least as far as I'd be concerned. But all of that is neither-here-nor-there, because TMP merchandise was all cheap and tacky, apparently.
Old November 20 2013, 01:39 AM   #306
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Shawnster wrote: View Post
What you are thinking of a "quality" merchandise tie-ins are targeted at MY generation - the kids that went to see Star Wars and Star Trek and are grown up now with disposable income. Yes, Spock's Kolinar robe and Ilia's headband COULD have been produced in 1979/80, but nobody thought to do such things. I don't think the "quality" merchandise existed for ANY movie in that time period.
... AGREED!!!
Old November 20 2013, 03:02 PM   #307
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Here is a question that's been growing on me: What came first, the airlock at the Enterprise's saucer hull bottom or the personnel lift hatch to the top side of the saucer?
  1. On Maab's excellent website there is a production painting showing a Kirk in a spacesuit next to what appears to be a saucer running light bulb for scale reference. This suggests that originally a scene was planned for EVA activity on the top side of the saucer, IMHO.
  2. The airlock staging area's control console features interesting indicators, especially "Elev[ator] Travel" "up" and "down". Hardly the kind of controls I would have expected near the ventral airlock / docking port but most definitely for the personnel lift hatch seen near the end of the film
  3. In the deleted airlock scene you can see there's some kind of stand there. Curiously, Shane Johnson's depiction of the airlock (ventral saucer) lacks this item, but features it as a "control pedestal / handgrip" near the personnel hatch platform (page 59 "Mr. Scott's" Guide to the Enterprise). It is barely visible in this screencap but obviously it's there (I remember promotional shots showing the actors close-up while being uplifted).
IMHO, all this could suggest that the airlock set was actually built for a location in the upper saucer (and as a possible prelude to the lift scene near the end of the film) but finally only featured as a staging area at the bottom side of the saucer.

Is this correct?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 05:45 PM   #308
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I cannot see any movie today, or maybe ever again, in a "runaway" situation, with regards to the budget and blowing alot of coin on sequences that were not planned out carefully, or going to be executed in a competent manner, just to keep from shutting down production. "No matter what, keep the cameras rolling, or the studio will want them back," seems to have been the mentality at work, here. And you know, it's such a shame that further STAR TREKs which would've benefitted enormously from just such a situation, were rushed into production, as cheaply as they could make it and then the studios dared to feign surprise at the lockluster box office. Spending a quarter of a billion dollars on a STAR TREK movie covers up a lot of its sins ...
Old November 20 2013, 10:24 PM   #309
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

My question has been answered, then, in full:
There is no upscale merchandise associated with STAR TREK: The Motion Picture - indeed, there never was. More's the pity ...
I think the large Spock Bust liquor decanter would count as high-end. They were expensive, esp. when filled with the alcohol (many were exported empty).

There was a signed, limited, slipcase, hardcover version of Roddenberry's novelization.

And, of course, the TMP Pop-Up book was hilarious and cool!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 10:37 PM   #310
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I think the large Spock Bust liquor decanter would count as high-end. They were expensive, esp. when filled with the alcohol (many were exported empty).
Dang, and I used to have one! No idea what happened to it. That's too bad...I could've sent it to 2Takes! Oh, well, it's the thought that counts...right, 2Takes?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 11:23 PM   #311
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Here is a question that's been growing on me: What came first, the airlock at the Enterprise's saucer hull bottom or the personnel lift hatch to the top side of the saucer?
  1. On Maab's excellent website there is a production painting showing a Kirk in a spacesuit next to what appears to be a saucer running light bulb for scale reference. This suggests that originally a scene was planned for EVA activity on the top side of the saucer, IMHO.
  2. The airlock staging area's control console features interesting indicators, especially "Elev[ator] Travel" "up" and "down". Hardly the kind of controls I would have expected near the ventral airlock / docking port but most definitely for the personnel lift hatch seen near the end of the film
  3. In the deleted airlock scene you can see there's some kind of stand there. Curiously, Shane Johnson's depiction of the airlock (ventral saucer) lacks this item, but features it as a "control pedestal / handgrip" near the personnel hatch platform (page 59 "Mr. Scott's" Guide to the Enterprise). It is barely visible in this screencap but obviously it's there (I remember promotional shots showing the actors close-up while being uplifted).
IMHO, all this could suggest that the airlock set was actually built for a location in the upper saucer (and as a possible prelude to the lift scene near the end of the film) but finally only featured as a staging area at the bottom side of the saucer.

Is this correct?

Bob
You're probably overanalyzing it. Most of what you're referring to was designed for the "wing walk" sequence when they step out onto the hull before strolling to V'ger. It's possible that they considered putting everyone in spacesuits for this at some point, or a production artist just drew it this way. It's also possible the airlock staging area set was designed to service both the top personnel hatch and the airlock below, even if it doesn't make sense with the exterior of the miniature.

Shane's drawings of the airlock are also very inaccurate to the set, so don't trust them.

Last edited by Maurice; November 21 2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typos!
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 12:29 AM   #312
2takesfrakes
Commodore

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Dang, and I used to have one! No idea what happened to it. That's too bad...I could've sent it to 2Takes! Oh, well, it's the thought that counts...right, 2Takes?
Forget using orange-peel alcohol ... if my toilet ever broke, I know what I would fill it with: something hot, brown and plentiful. I'm sure this was insanely overpriced, even at the time, but what a cheap-looking piece of shit. The whole thing's rediculous ... in the shape of Lenny Nimoy, no less! No wonder he wanted out of STAR TREK ...

Old November 21 2013, 12:33 AM   #313
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Since this has become something of catchall post about TMP production, etc.

Here's a question I've had for a while. I remember in the Read Along ST:TMP story book and record (I still have it in storage somewhere), it uses an odd image that was supposed to V'Ger starting to engulf the Enterprise (I guess?), but it's a very strange purple cloud with another texture double-exposed with it.

I don't think I've ever seen anything from the production of TMP that had any kind of effect like it. So I gather it's one of those things the authors fudged a stock photo of the Enterprise from TMP with their own idea of the cloud.

The story book also has a very simplified version of what was the memory wall sequence in it.

So it's clearly based on an earlier draft of the script, which would make sense if they had to provide the record company with something early on in order to get it out on time. However, the weird thing is that it appears to have been first published in 1983, so why would it need to be based on anything but the final version of the film?

As an aside, I found a cool site that has set about archiving all kinds of Read Along books and turning them into standalone Flash executable that have story book and the audio, when you turn the page it starts the next page's audio.
http://www.readalongadventures.com/

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; November 21 2013 at 12:55 AM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 12:50 AM   #314
drt
Captain

I seem to recall there was a satin TMP jacket with the Enterprise on the back which was lit with LEDs.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 05:11 AM   #315
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Forget using orange-peel alcohol ... if my toilet ever broke, I know what I would fill it with: something hot, brown and plentiful. I'm sure this was insanely overpriced, even at the time, but what a cheap-looking piece of shit. The whole thing's rediculous ... in the shape of Lenny Nimoy, no less! No wonder he wanted out of STAR TREK ...
Aw, now you figured out why I was so willing to part with it!

It was given to me as a gift by a friends' mother. Back in my day the general wisdom was that parents didn't "get" stereo (i.e., "Why do you want a 5-band equalizer, isn't 3 enough?"). Similarly, they didn't "get" Star Trek. And your reference of orange peel reminded me of the somewhat sandy texture of this decanter. It was very difficult to dust. In fact, I've remembered since posting that I ended up just throwing it away.

If you're interested in something brown and plentiful, I turn your attention back to the cookbook! Think of it as experiencing actual, life-like symptoms of some of those Star Trek diseases we all heard about!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote