Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old November 19 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!

Here is an update on this episode. Last month I picked up a drive with the Kitumba footage that had been recovered from the director after 2 years, the main reason for the delay in releasing an episode shot 5 years ago. Since then there has simply been little bandwidth within the Phase II team to get this episode finished.

So Mark Lewis, the Post Production Supervisor on Axanar and myself, picked up the baton and spent a few days inventorying what we had and what we needed. We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

A list of missing effects shots was created, and Pony Horton has been working his way through them.

Mark and I are meeting again Friday to set the edit, and we will then get it to James for his notes/approval. Then after we have all the effects in, it is off to sound with Ralph Miller.

We have set an aggressive timeline for the end of December to have Kitumba complete, then it is up to James when this will be released.

I think you will all be pleased as "Kitumba" really is one of the best episodes, and James Cawley's final episode, so it deserves a proper treatment.

Alec
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba

Thanks for the update, Alec. As always, my position is: Thank you and Phase II for the Top Quality Fan Trek. It will be welcome whenever it is released. Christmas is nice, so is First Contact Day. Thank you for your efforts. I look forward to viewing this episode.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I hope James will change his mind someday and it won't be his final episode.
Old November 19 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Eagerly looking forward to seeing this new episode as well.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Awaiting this episode with a modicum of impatience..
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 03:49 AM   #6
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW

Loken wrote: View Post
We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

Alec
uh....wha....? You re-edited the Senior Executive Producer's "Final Edit" of the teaser, act 1 and act 2?! Has something changed so Phase II isn't James' show any longer? Maybe there should be some kind of announcement to that effect...?

In any case, I certainly hope that the writing credit was fixed finally. I would hate to see fans disappointed - or even outraged - when they discover this isn't the JML story. Just his basic premise.
Old November 20 2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

andriech wrote: View Post
We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

Alec
uh....wha....? You re-edited the Senior Executive Producer's "Final Edit" of the teaser, act 1 and act 2?! Has something changed so Phase II isn't James' show any longer? Maybe there should be some kind of announcement to that effect...?

In any case, I certainly hope that the writing credit was fixed finally. I would hate to see fans disappointed - or even outraged - when they discover this isn't the JML story. Just his basic premise.
Every single step of the way has been approved by James. And if you actually bothered to read my post you will see where James is getting the edit this weekend to approve as well.

Since you are no longer part of Phase II, exactly for this sort of drama, I would ask that you leave those of us actually doing the work to do it.
Old November 20 2013, 05:12 AM   #8
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Alec

Every single step of the way has been approved by James. And if you actually bothered to read my post you will see where James is getting the edit this weekend to approve as well.

Since you are no longer part of Phase II, exactly for this sort of drama, I would ask that you leave those of us actually doing the work to do it.
And this, folks, is how you run a "professional" production.

Last edited by doubleohfive; November 20 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old November 20 2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Oh for fuck's sake. This has gone from amusing to unpleasant.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 06:38 AM   #10
PattyW
Commander

I did miss that you were sending J "your" edit this weekend (while he's away working) and I apologize for that. I still think it's ballsy that you actually re-edited what he felt was perfect the way it was. In my opinion it was not only a waste of time, but completely disrespectful of James' work and leadership. A "final edit" is just that. I stand by my statement. The emperor has no clothes here....

yeah, I am no longer part of the Phase II producer's group...for reasons you are not privy to and would never understand. (It's completely unprofessional to imply that you know and "leak gossip" that you invented.) That actually gives me the freedom to comment publicly on stuff you guys post without having to "rep the PR line"..and I will do so when I see fit. But if you think I am not working for P2 in any manner any longer, you are sadly mistaken.

And I stand by my statement about the writer's credit. I'd hate to have the production be embarrassed... I provided an entire list of credits (as was part of my job) for the hundreds of folks that worked on this episode. If they aren't on the episode it's none of my concern any longer - but the writing credit IS my concern. I expect to see that the director's dig was corrected to the accurate credits.
Old November 20 2013, 06:42 AM   #11
PattyW
Commander

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
well.

...ah, how sad you edited your comment....
Old November 20 2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Maurice
Vice Admiral

You know I have strongly disagreed with some folks in the fanfilm circle but most of them have been very civil, so I do not understand this high schoolish need to get digs in on people you disagree with. It's possible to address matters without making it personal, surprising as that may seem.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 07:18 AM   #13
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

well.

...ah, how sad you edited your comment....
I chose to edit my post because it read as if I were taking sides in the matter, which I have no interest in doing.

Maurice wrote: View Post
You know I have strongly disagreed with some folks in the fanfilm circle but most of them have been very civil, so I do not understand this high schoolish need to get digs in on people you disagree with. It's possible to address matters without making it personal, surprising as that may seem.
Agreed, 100%.
Old November 20 2013, 02:09 PM   #14
surak-toc
Commander

regardless of anything said i am 100% looking forward to this for sure.
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
Agreed, 100%.
Well maybe you should start making sure your actions support what you claim you believe and stop attacking me every chance you get. You edited out your attacks, but the day after your posts were deleted on another forum for attacking me you are back at it. How about you learn to be civil?