RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 484
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 5 4.67%
A 31 28.97%
A- 24 22.43%
B+ 21 19.63%
B 11 10.28%
B- 9 8.41%
C+ 6 5.61%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 16 2013, 01:16 AM   #136
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

If I remember correctly, Valhalla is the feasting hall of the dead chosen by Odin and his Valkyries. In this role, Olin was analogous to Mercury, or Hermes, the Psychopomp. This is why our Wednesday (from Woden's Day, in Anglo-Saxon (speaking loosely) instead of Old Norse, in Spanish is "miercoles," accent over the first "e," from Mercury.

On the other hand, Alfheim and Vanaheim are pretty consistently in the list of the Nine Worlds, along with Asgard, Midgard, Muspelheim, Svartalfheim, Jotunheim. Then the lists get shaky with Niflheim and Hel maybe separate, maybe the same. And, yes, so far as I know "Hel" is cognate with "Hell." And sometimes someplace called "Nidavellir" is thrown in as the home of the dwarves. But some think Svartal in Svartalf, which means black or dark elf is just another name for dwarf!

The interconnection of the Nine Worlds by Yggdrasil made it into the movie. The roots of the World Tree are gnawed by the serpent Nidhogg, which would be a natural for Thor 3.

But what I want to see is Ratatosk, the World Tree Squirrel!
Old November 16 2013, 08:27 PM   #137
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

*Cue Wagner's Die Valkure*
Old November 18 2013, 05:51 AM   #138
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

I thought it was very enjoyable. As a fan of Kirby's techno-mythology, I loved seeing more Asgard and the nine realms. Couldn't get enough of that, the Dark World looked cool. Fight scenes were cool, but after Man Of Steel, every fight scene feels small.

Also, there was a bit too much comedy for me. Too often it undercut the seriousness of the movie and threat, making the movie a borderline comedy. I thought the first phase movies had just the right type and amount of humor. Here it had the feel of "hey, remember that thing audiences liked in the first movie? Yeah, let's do a shit ton more of it!" It started out fine, but after awhile it got annoying.

Otherwise, I enjoyed seeing Thor's world expanded and would love to see some of Thor's cosmic epics brought to the screen.

While I've been more of a DC guy for the last two decades (stopped reading Marvel around 91-92), Marvel's "cosmic" stuff is way beyond anything DC has been able to do in any way, shape, or form. Skrulls, Recorders, Watchers, Galactus, Shaper Of Worlds, Thanos and the Titans, Celestials, Collector, Gardener, Stranger, etc.

And Starlin's run on Adam Warlock (where he turns Adam Warlock into an Elric character, complete with soul sucker and doomed fate) is one of my all time favorite runs ever. I saw the cocoon and thought "Warlock?" I don't know if he's in the current incarnation of Guardians Of The Galaxy, since I'm not familiar with that team. I'm more familiar with the Vance Astro group from the future who fights the Badoon.
Old November 18 2013, 08:33 AM   #139
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Here it had the feel of "hey, remember that thing audiences liked in the first movie? Yeah, let's do a shit ton more of it!" It started out fine, but after awhile it got annoying.
People liked the "comedy" of the first movie? I thought is pretty widely seen as one of the "worst" parts of the movie. Hell, to paraphrase Kevin Murphy from the "Rifftrax" of the movie when Thor is hit, again, by Jane's van and seemingly knocked out (for the third time in the movie): "Again?! At this point why don't they just put a pair of sunglasses on him and carry him around like in Weekend at Bernie's?"
Old November 18 2013, 01:36 PM   #140
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I personally think the humor worked much better this time around. Much of the humor in the first movie was fish out of water humor, which I'm not a fan of (also hit-by-car humor apparently). This one was much more diverse and interesting. I had no problem with the humor, it made it feel like a nice romp. My only complaint in the humor department is I found the Warriors Three more interesting in the first movie.
Old November 18 2013, 02:40 PM   #141
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

One thing I find funny about the first Thor is that, actually, nothing much is happening. Bad guys get clobbered over the head with his big hammer, then he gets exiled for his behavior, and after a few days, he gets his powers back. And that's it. A greater passage of time would have helped that film immensely to convey the idea that Thor's personality changed.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 02:53 PM   #142
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I loved the first film, especially the humor. It's my personal favorite of the Phase 1 movies.
Old November 18 2013, 05:46 PM   #143
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think it's clear that things once considered geeky and niche to but a few such as Transformers, the Marvel Comics wider library has found mainstream mass appeal.

Before the '07 Transformers film you couldn't find a person to name more than 5 TF's who wasn't already familiar with them. Once you told someone, at best they'd laugh it off as kiddie fare. Now, regardless of what is sure a mixed bag, Transformers are a well known and excepted franchise of entertainment. Considered widely cool even.

Having spent two weeks at #1 now, Thor Dark World is more proof that the realm of comic book heroes is not relegated to just the niche geeks anymore either.
Close to $150m in 10 days and a global total in 17 days of $480m with more to come isn't something niche.

Thor as a concept for mass consumption was ripe to fail and yet now I'd say more people are learning about Norse/Viking mythology than they ever got in school and their idea of what Thor and Asgardians look like, belongs to the Marvel version now.

I will not be shocked to see Captain America Winter Soldier do equally as well in April now.
As much as I throughly enjoyed TDW, CAWS looks perhaps even better.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 01:07 AM   #144
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'm proud to say that I can't name five Transformers. Hell, I can't even name two....
Old November 19 2013, 01:21 AM   #145
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I'm proud to say that I can't name five Transformers. Hell, I can't even name two....
Come on, that's... unlikely. Unless you're very old or very young. I know very little of the Transformers and have gone through a lot of hypno-therapy to forget the movies I can still name many of the transformers. (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet, Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream....)
Old November 19 2013, 01:46 AM   #146
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The original show was after my time, I didn't watch it. I was in my early teens when it started, FWIW. I was aware of its existence and that it was tied into a toy line, that's about it. Had no interest in the movies. I only know the name Optimus Prime because I've seen it come up so much in BBS discussions. Beyond that, I'd have to fall back on, "There's one that turns into a semi truck, right?"
Old November 19 2013, 01:58 AM   #147
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I think most can at least get Optimus and Megatron. I would have gotten Starcream and Soundwave as well and, certainly after the movie, I got Bumblebee.

That being said, at least the first movie did a terrible job having you get to know the Transformers. I bet for most people, the only robots they can name in the movie are Optimus, Megatron, and Shia LaBeouf.
Old November 19 2013, 02:09 AM   #148
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Megatron sounds familiar, but I never would have thought of it off the top of my head. Was he the evil one?
Old November 23 2013, 06:01 PM   #149
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The more I think about, the more I have a problem with Loki's character arc. By the end of the film, he has seen how Thor and Odin truly felt about him. But he keeps on scheming, lying to Thor and whatever he did to Odin.

So any redeemable qualities are gone now. By the end of the film, he turned into a pure bad guy.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 06:26 PM   #150
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

More of a Magnificent Bastard in my book....