Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 12 2013, 08:16 PM   #91
lurok
Commodore

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 Discussion Thread

Same here.
Old November 13 2013, 12:33 AM   #92
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was a great scene, although I was a little worried about how Chalky would react to Richard with his friends around him. I don't think they ever had a scene together before that?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 04:08 AM   #93
Warped9
Admiral

These episodes are making me nervous. Chalky has the lives of a cat and is one of the luckiest sumbitch's alive. Every time I think he's out of luck he somehow lives for another day. Too bad he thinks Nucky sold him out.

Gillian was truly screwed. Just when she thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be a train running right over her. Talk about a life of waste and misery.

I'm glad to see Nucky smells something is wrong even if he doesn't know the particulars. His intuition seems to be telling him that something is up with Eli, the supposedly paid FBI guy and the "mysterious" insurance agent who visited Eli's house.

I've no idea where this is going, but I really want to see Narcisse get his.

Shame we had to lose Louis Gossett Jr. so soon.
Old November 18 2013, 05:23 AM   #94
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, congrats to those who guessed at what was really going on with Gillian It was great finally seeing that witch get her dessert. Great scene. Loved how it was revealed to her.
Old November 18 2013, 05:28 AM   #95
Warped9
Admiral

I half expected her to try throwing herself over the railing or something.
Old November 18 2013, 10:21 AM   #96
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Ugh, I did not like the Gillian twist. I had a pretty go idea where it was going but it seemed a little too far fetched. It makes it slightly more bearable that old man Soprano was in on it, but still. It didn't help the way the two other agents just emerged from the other bedrooms and they way they pushed her around in a triangle like some musical. I actually liked her storyline this season and I don't think it payed off well.

Not sure what they're doing with Chalky. For me it really hurts his character that he just dumped his family like that. I could see him being overcome with lust for her and banging her a few times, but to just up and leave with no regard to his family was pretty shocking. This episode Daughter finally mentions them and he basically brushes it off.

Truthfully the whole revelation that dr. Narcisse was the one that killed Daughters mom I thought was lame. It didn't help that she almost immediately betrayed him for Chalky.

I hope this finale is amazing since they basically left out a bulk of the story lines I really liked this season so far.
Old November 18 2013, 10:35 AM   #97
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Ugh, I did not like the Gillian twist. I had a pretty go idea where it was going but it seemed a little too far fetched. It makes it slightly more bearable that old man Soprano was in on it, but still. It didn't help the way the two other agents just emerged from the other bedrooms and they way they pushed her around in a triangle like some musical. I actually liked her storyline this season and I don't think it payed off well.

Not sure what they're doing with Chalky. For me it really hurts his character that he just dumped his family like that. I could see him being overcome with lust for her and banging her a few times, but to just up and leave with no regard to his family was pretty shocking. This episode Daughter finally mentions them and he basically brushes it off.

Truthfully the whole revelation that dr. Narcisse was the one that killed Daughters mom I thought was lame. It didn't help that she almost immediately betrayed him for Chalky.

I hope this finale is amazing since they basically left out a bulk of the story lines I really liked this season so far.
Gillian, there was no use for her character after Gyp shot her up. This was a coda that just took time away from far more interesting characters. Better the chap left Gillian for his wife than being a Pinkerton for the lawyer. This whole arc was a third wheel to the season.

Chalky and the family. His rise in society has been a curse. He has been unhappy for a long time. The dinner conversation over his favorite dish not being on the table way back when because it was associated with poor blacks and wouldn't make the right impression. He has been chaffing mightily against his wife's classiness and class consciousness. It's a shame they haven't developed that more. He wanted to save Daughter and stick it to Narcisse, I think Oscar had that sussed. Chalky was being dishonest with himself and with her, and I doubt Oscar really trusted someone who didn't have a real name.

Did she betray Chalky, sure, most likely. The abused will often go back to their abusers. As for Narcise as a whole, I was hoping for a more subtle spider like villain. This just made him a thug.

The episode took too much time on Gillian, time that could have given much more depth to the other stories. More Oscar and Chalky, more Nucky and the family, more Louis Gosset, Jr, more Elie angst, more Louis Gosset,Jr, More Narcise, did I mention more Louis Gosset, Jr?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 02:10 PM   #98
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

The Oscar/chalky scenes really had no where to go beyond what was said which is dont trust anyone brown or white.

The Gillian angle was not played out well. Yes she had to go down, but the Pinkertons was not the way for her to go. She needed a much more violent and horrid end to her existence. Glad to see Uncle Junior was behind the plot though.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 06:45 PM   #99
Tom
Rear Admiral

I just think they did not want to lose Gretchen Mol so they gave her an extended story this season so to speak. Still it was very contrived and the clues were there in a couple previous episodes to point to this being linked to Rogers death.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 07:26 PM   #100
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Gillian, there was no use for her character after Gyp shot her up. This was a coda that just took time away from far more interesting characters.

This. The character could have just as easily disappeared this season due to what happened last season, but they chose to bring her back, yet again and much to my dismay. All of what they showed with the custody battle was already implied last season, so it would still have made sense if they just had Tommy already be in custody of Richard. So in bringing her back, they had to find a way to make her fall and hard. This season felt like two steps back for her, being more like the character she was in season 2 and negating everything that had happened to her in season 3. She was the character that wouldn't die and it was getting ridiculous.

Personally, I'm fine with how they did things. She was manipulative. They had to use that against her and make her feel confident. Yes, they could have killed her last season and have her go out with a bang, but they didn't use that chance and we had to have this. Personally, the realization that she was no longer in control after having manipulated so many people was appropriate.
Old November 18 2013, 07:27 PM   #101
Warped9
Admiral

Seems like a rather elaborate plot for Pinkerton's to get Gillian. And her arc mightn't be done yet. There might be more for her to suffer. Didn't quite a few states still have the death penalty back then?

Chalky was looking for an out even if he mightn't have realized it. Maybe as a younger man he dreamt of having and achieving certain things, but when he finally had them it wasn't what he thought it would be. In truth that happens to a lot of people whether they're good or bad. Also the problem with making it up the ladder no matter how secure you think you are there's always someone looking to knock you off.
Old November 18 2013, 07:51 PM   #102
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Seems like a rather elaborate plot for Pinkerton's to get Gillian. And her arc mightn't be done yet. There might be more for her to suffer. Didn't quite a few states still have the death penalty back then?

God, I hope not. To me, she's a great example of an overused character like I described earlier in the thread. The last thing I'd want to see is her trying to scheme her way out of a jail cell. To me the character has become a joke as they've reduced the effectiveness of the character by hanging on to her for too long when the better thing would have been to just kill her off last season.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; November 18 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old November 19 2013, 03:07 PM   #103
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Bringing Gillian back, giving her some measure of redemption, then punishing her for her past crimes wasn't a bad idea. The problem was that her entire story this season was unrelated to everything else on the show. At least in past seasons she was tied up with Jimmy or Rosetti, but this year she was doing her own thing and they unnecessarily dragged that across the whole season.

Meanwhile, there's a bunch of interesting storylines that have developed into a bit of a mess. The finale has to resolve the Dr Narcisse story, the Eli/Bureau storyline, the Chicago stuff, the Chalky/Nucky stuff, potentially some stuff involving Rothstein, and some stuff involving Richard (according to the trailer). That's a lot of material, and I fear that it will be rushed, just like the season 3 finale. All that time spent on Gillian could have been better spent spacing out the other stories so we didn't get this end-rush.
Old November 19 2013, 03:12 PM   #104
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Yeah, they could have moved her story along more quickly. Or they could have put some of it off the way we didn't see Margaret for quite awhile.
Old November 20 2013, 02:12 AM   #105
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

All of what happened with Gillian could have easily been resolved in the first two or three episodes to make way for other things. The season could have started with her already being under investigation. I'd happily trade her off with more Margaret screen time.