Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 12 2013, 12:06 AM   #76
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: R.I.P Blockbuster

It wouldn't be Blockbuster if he didn't have to return it. Probably force him to buy it because he can't return it because the store is closed.

In all seriousness, it took a month or two for the stores here to close after they stopped renting. They were selling off all the inventory (and not at great discounts) before closing for good.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:08 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
In all seriousness, it took a month or two for the stores here to close after they stopped renting. They were selling off all the inventory (and not at great discounts) before closing for good.
Come to think of it, I remember that happening when my local Blockbuster closed last year. Although they didn't close due to their business declining, but because the neighboring supermarket bought out the stores behind it so that it could expand -- something it still hasn't begun doing, even though all those stores were torn down. I guess they ran out of money for the project or something.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:28 PM   #78
publiusr
Commodore

There are lots of dead malls all over the place. The big thing now is to force you to walk outside in the elements. We used to have Eastwoodmall, with an Alladin's Castle game room, people would jog indoors--a real community atmosphere, like what I see in Birmingham Post Offices, which will be the next victims of i-crap.

I don't mind kids having their wireless nonsense--just don't take what is close to me willya? Almost makes me want an EMP just to see teenage girls spaz out from no service with me saying "I can live this way, can you?"
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 10:14 PM   #79
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

A local developer is trying to revitalize the nearby Towne mall. It's still used by older folks who want to go jogging outside in the elements (Mall technically opens at 9 AM, but joggers can come in around 8), but most of the stores are gone. I would love to see it brought up to date, with lots of stores, and shoppers, because it was a great mall in its heyday. Back in the mid to late 1990s, everyone was at the mall. They had an arcade, a food court, tons of shops (including the best shop, WaldenBooks), and around Christmas the decorations were arranged all around the fountain, which was 2 stories high.

Now, 3/4 of the shops are gone, and what's left are places you could find at a flea market. The fountain is gone. It was removed about 7 years ago, and the place looks sadder for its removal. There are virtually no people there. Even in the evening, when it should be bustling, you'll find perhaps 10, maybe 20, people there. It's all but abandoned.

So I hope this new developer makes it all work.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 10:31 PM   #80
Harvey
Admiral

Went into my local Blockbuster a couple days ago to see their sale prices.

They were worse than before they were having their going out of business sale.

Good riddance.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 11:20 PM   #81
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Blockbusters version of Netflix that I had a few years ago was truly horrible. I won't miss them at all.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 02:47 AM   #82
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post

Good riddance.
Yea it was rare to find any good prices there. Got better deals when Hollywood Video was going out of business.
Old November 18 2013, 03:18 AM   #83
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I used to dig the 5 for $20 sales on Blu-Ray/DVDs when they were around though it didn't do my hoarding habits any good.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 03:28 AM   #84
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

J. Allen wrote: View Post
A local developer is trying to revitalize the nearby Towne mall. It's still used by older folks who want to go jogging outside in the elements (Mall technically opens at 9 AM, but joggers can come in around 8), but most of the stores are gone. I would love to see it brought up to date, with lots of stores, and shoppers, because it was a great mall in its heyday. Back in the mid to late 1990s, everyone was at the mall. They had an arcade, a food court, tons of shops (including the best shop, WaldenBooks), and around Christmas the decorations were arranged all around the fountain, which was 2 stories high.

Now, 3/4 of the shops are gone, and what's left are places you could find at a flea market. The fountain is gone. It was removed about 7 years ago, and the place looks sadder for its removal. There are virtually no people there. Even in the evening, when it should be bustling, you'll find perhaps 10, maybe 20, people there. It's all but abandoned.

A couple of years ago they added a local Barnes & Noble. It's one of the big ones with a Starbucks attached, and the lot in front has actually been just the right size for it. I go there all the time. Just a few weeks ago, though, they fenced half of it off and apparently are building a drive-thru Panda Express in that space. I honestly can't see why, since it will seem way too crowded and the B & N customers will only have half the space to park in.

We used to have malls too like yours. They vanished ages ago.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 03:39 AM   #85
Pondwater
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post

Same thing happened here. There aren't any good malls around and the one we had ended up exactly the way that one ended up like.… Fountain and all. They closed the fountain back in 2007 due the drought and it was never revived. The one anchor store left in that one is Macy's but according to some rumors not for long. A bit sad.

Would have to go the Northside of Atlanta for an actual mall experience.
Old November 18 2013, 05:41 AM   #86
Aragorn
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post

Good riddance.
Doesn't matter what the going out of business "sale" prices are to people with common sense, when the overall masses will just grab stuff left and right because they think it's a good deal.

I think Circuit City raised their prices before offering their liquidation "discounts" and people went nuts over it, spending a few hundred more for a TV than it would've cost them regular price elsewhere.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 06:27 AM   #87
Harvey
Admiral

Don't get me wrong, some of the prices were okay, but the store regularly had Blu-Rays on sale at the going rate of 4 or 5 for $20 before liquidation. The same Blu-Rays were "on sale" for $10 a pop when I paid the store a visit a few days ago.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote