RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,621
Posts: 5,426,406
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 439
Newest member: 8 of 9

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 15 2013, 04:23 PM   #106
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Kommander wrote: View Post
3. They're ass holes and should be dismissed as such. This kind of thing happens more than seems reasonable, but still not very often. I also have had a tendency to give ass holes more attention than is reasonable, so it kind of makes sense.
That makes it sound like you enable them.

Good. If you were, I would dismiss anything you have to say. Mental disorders are legitimate medical conditions and making fun of those that have them or seek treatment is just as stupid as making fun of someone for having a heart attack or going to the hospital after having one.
I take mental health seriously. It's not a laughing matter.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Your attitude sounds quite obsessive/compulsive and it may benefit from professional attention. It's at least worth investigating, if you haven't already. I am not a psychiatrist, after all.
Possibly. Although, I have a very high IQ (I'm not telling anyone what it is). I process information very quickly and am hyper-observant. What looks to be obsessive behavior in me is actually pretty effortless and doesn't cause me much if any undue stress. However, it is up to a psychologist to determine if it constitutes primarily obsessive OCD or if there is another problem.
A high IQ doesn't mean you're any good at dealing with people. Often, it means the exact opposite.

I am a psychology student, and I do not view therapy negatively. However, I do not have medical insurance and, even if I did, there's a good chance this kind of thing wouldn't be covered because, unfortunately, mental health care is often considered a luxury by the idiots that run things, and I cannot otherwise afford therapy at this time. If I get into the Ph.D. program I want, the medical coverage I get will cover it, and the university I'm transferring to next year may have something available that I can manage. Whether or not OCD is an issue with me, I definitely have issues with depression that need to be treated.
I guess you haven't kept up with current laws, then. Insurance plans being sold from now on must have mental health coverage. Although, if I recall correctly, you should qualify for Medicaid but live in a state that refused to implement the expansion, so, uh... yeah. I wish I could help you more there.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
ETA: Also, listen to what teacake said and stop thinking of this as a game in which you have to "beat" another guy to "win" the girl. It's skeevy.
I think I'm being stereotyped for starting "this type of thread" again. I do not think of it as a game. The closest I have ever come to thinking of it as a game is the perception that everyone else thinks of it as a game and, if I wanted successful relationships, I had to start thinking of it as a game because "that's just the way the world works." I tried to think of it as a game, but that ultimately didn't work because there is no one way the world works, and seeing it as a game is pretty stupid. Some of this may have shown through when I was talking about the past, but it is not part of my current outlook.
People are seeing you this way because the way you approach the whole situation looks highly adversarial and competitive, i.e. a game. I think you've spent more time talking about assholes in this thread than the actual women you are/were interested in.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
I has a blag.
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 05:36 PM   #107
Kommander
Commodore
 
Location: Detroit
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
That makes it sound like you enable them.
Possibly. My usual approach to ass holes isn't to dismiss them as such, but to try to understand why they are being an ass hole. That, and my tendency to believe that, if someone is being an ass hole, it means that I did something wrong when in reality, it's probably just that they're an ass hole.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I take mental health seriously. It's not a laughing matter.
I wish more people shared this attitude.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
A high IQ doesn't mean you're any good at dealing with people. Often, it means the exact opposite.
I am very aware of this. My brain works differently than that of most people, and that does make it difficult to understand others. A lot of people like to brag about having a high IQ. While there are some benefits, it's more of a personality disorder than anything else, and really not something to brag about. I've noticed that relating to other people is easier when I'm drinking; my brain starts to work more similarly to other people's, especially if they are also drinking. However, using alcohol to fix problems is not a path I want to start traveling, so I need another option.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I guess you haven't kept up with current laws, then. Insurance plans being sold from now on must have mental health coverage.
No, I wasn't aware of this. Good news is always welcome.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Although, if I recall correctly, you should qualify for Medicaid but live in a state that refused to implement the expansion, so, uh... yeah. I wish I could help you more there.
I don't know for sure that Medicaid has not been expanded, but considering I live in Michigan and Rick "the Dick" Snyder is governor, I'd be very surprised if it was. Anyway, the worst case scenerio is that I'll have to take out more in student loans to pay for a plan provided by the university. More loans aren't a big deal.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
People are seeing you this way because the way you approach the whole situation looks highly adversarial and competitive, i.e. a game. I think you've spent more time talking about assholes in this thread than the actual women you are/were interested in.
I'm complaining about people who are adversarial and competitive about such things, therefore I must be one of them? That conclusion doesn't make any sense to me. Something along the lines of "you probably see this sort of behavior frequently because you try to date women that find it appealing. Maybe try dating different women, ya dumb ass?" That seems like its just as likely. But no, the correct conclusion has to be the one in which I'm the biggest ass hole.
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 06:05 PM   #108
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Kommander why don't we table all of this jealous boyfriend stuff for the moment and just start from the top. Do you wish to pursue a relationship with this woman as of November 15, 2013? If so, do you think you are prepared to ask her out in some capacity, even if it is just spending time together as friends. If you are unprepared to flat out ask her on a date, simply spending time together in any capacity can give you subtle indicators of her level of interest, which if I'm being honest, is the biggest unknown component in this thread. I know that given your past issues with relationships it will be difficult to avoid anticipating problems before they occur, but try to treat this situation independently if at all possible. I guess what I'm asking at this point is, do you have any plans to move forward here or have you already declared this relationship out of reach?
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.

Last edited by Use of Time; November 15 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 07:01 PM   #109
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Kommander wrote: View Post
I think I'm being stereotyped for starting "this type of thread" again.
I wasn't even aware you had done previous threads on a similar kind of topic. All my reactions are based on how you're appearing in this thread, which started on 4 November, and you're still trying to decide whether to ask this woman out. Either you will, or you won't, but it seems like you're determined to talk yourself out of it.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 07:12 PM   #110
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Kommander wrote: View Post
I think I'm being stereotyped for starting "this type of thread"
I don't think you're being stereotyped. I think people are reacting the way they are because you're coming off as very adversarial, and every time someone brings up anything even remotely resembling a cogent point (to say nothing of the folks like RobMax and Melakon and MrAwe who have been consistently hitting the nail on the head), you act as though you have to have an answer for it. You can't just sit back and say, "You know what, you're right;" you act as though you need to battle back and say "but there's this, that and the other." Example: You randomly bringing up your IQ out of nowhere, which isn't germane at all to the conversation except to give yourself an excuse to say, "See, I have an explanation for acting this way."

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're coming across as the person who's in a room with 20 other people, and thinks he's the only sane person and everyone else is an asshole.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 09:13 PM   #111
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Timby wrote: View Post
Kommander wrote: View Post
I think I'm being stereotyped for starting "this type of thread"
I don't think you're being stereotyped. I think people are reacting the way they are because you're coming off as very adversarial, and every time someone brings up anything even remotely resembling a cogent point (to say nothing of the folks like RobMax and Melakon and MrAwe who have been consistently hitting the nail on the head), you act as though you have to have an answer for it. You can't just sit back and say, "You know what, you're right;" you act as though you need to battle back and say "but there's this, that and the other." Example: You randomly bringing up your IQ out of nowhere, which isn't germane at all to the conversation except to give yourself an excuse to say, "See, I have an explanation for acting this way."

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're coming across as the person who's in a room with 20 other people, and thinks he's the only sane person and everyone else is an asshole.
This sums up my take on the thread as well. Good post, Timby.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 11:52 PM   #112
Kommander
Commodore
 
Location: Detroit
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Kommander why don't we table all of this jealous boyfriend stuff for the moment and just start from the top. Do you wish to pursue a relationship with this woman as of November 15, 2013? If so, do you think you are prepared to ask her out in some capacity, even if it is just spending time together as friends. If you are unprepared to flat out ask her on a date, simply spending time together in any capacity can give you subtle indicators of her level of interest, which if I'm being honest, is the biggest unknown component in this thread. I know that given your past issues with relationships it will be difficult to avoid anticipating problems before they occur, but try to treat this situation independently if at all possible. I guess what I'm asking at this point is, do you have any plans to move forward here or have you already declared this relationship out of reach?
No idea, I'll see what happens.

Melakon wrote: View Post
Kommander wrote: View Post
I think I'm being stereotyped for starting "this type of thread" again.
I wasn't even aware you had done previous threads on a similar kind of topic. All my reactions are based on how you're appearing in this thread, which started on 4 November, and you're still trying to decide whether to ask this woman out. Either you will, or you won't, but it seems like you're determined to talk yourself out of it.
I was referring to threads like this in general, not just ones I've started. And yes, the core of the issue seems to be that I'm trying to talk myself out of asking this woman out. I really don't have the slightest idea why. I probably picked up on something that indicated that dating her would be a bad idea, or I'm just afraid of repeating the past. That's probably why I jumped on the possessive ex idea once it occurred to me. It gave me a scapegoat to explain my misgivings without it reflecting negatively on her or on me. I can't really pin down what it is specifically at this point. The best thing for me to do at this point is to continue talking to her without trying to push things in a romantic direction and just see what happens. Either I'll realize what was wrong and then decide whether it means I should back away or not, or I'll realize that nothing is wrong and there wont be a problem.

Timby wrote: View Post
I don't think you're being stereotyped. I think people are reacting the way they are because you're coming off as very adversarial, and every time someone brings up anything even remotely resembling a cogent point, you act as though you have to have an answer for it.
Everyone who is not me has the information I've provided in this thread, and possibly other posts I've made. I, being me, have much more information. If someone says something that seems plausible based on the available information, but I believe to be not entirely accurate, I provide more information. Not to imply that I think they're wrong, but hoping they'll reevaluate what they said and take the new information into account. You see this as argumentative and just dismiss it because 1) you expect it from someone starting these kinds of threads (i.e.: stereotyping), which has nothing to do with me, and 2) the hostile, ridiculous tone I used when writing the OP, which is definitely my doing, and the reaction is understandable. This is not simply a case of everyone else is completely right and I'm completely wrong, that never happens. I have admitted to being wrong about some things and, from what I can tell, I'm the only one that's taken new information into account and reevaluated my position. When someone argues with me while being uncompromising and condescending, they're going to have a difficult time trying to convince me of anything. Most people don't respond well to that kind of tone, why should I be any different?

Timby wrote: View Post
You can't just sit back and say, "You know what, you're right;"
Yeah, except for all those times I did. Like, when everyone said I was over-reacting to the pictures the ex posted and I said they were right. Or when a few people identified the core issue as my hesitation with this particular woman, or that the OP was a poorly-executed clusterfuck... You're the one who is being uncompromising, not me.

Timby wrote: View Post
Example: You randomly bringing up your IQ out of nowhere, which isn't germane at all to the conversation except to give yourself an excuse to say, "See, I have an explanation for acting this way."
How is explaining myself an excuse? Of course there are reasons why I do the things I do. I'm trying to be better understood, I'm not demanding permission.

As for the IQ thing, it's a perfectly legitimate explanation for my tendency to over-analyze and apparent obsessive behavior. For someone with a closer to average IQ, the amount of analyzing I do would take a lot of time and effort, and one would have to be obsessive to accomplish it. When I do it, it doesn't take a lot of time, and the only real effort is typing all this shit. Everything I've said in this entire thread is the result of maybe 20 minutes of thought and analysis. Not only is it relevant, it's probably the most relevant thing I've said in this thread.

Timby wrote: View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're coming across as the person who's in a room with 20 other people, and thinks he's the only sane person and everyone else is an asshole.
I never said anyone posting in this thread is an ass hole, or even really thought it. However, that isn't nearly as ridiculous a situation as you made it out to be. I've been the most sane person in a room with 20 others a bunch of times, they're called "family reunions."
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 12:31 AM   #113
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

All you can do is ask her out. It's up to her to say yes or no. If she declines, well at least you tried, so don't do anything to look like you're begging. But putting yourself through this emotional turmoil isn't healthy (I say this as a stroke survivor).

Even if she says no, there's no reason why you can't still be friends. Some people reconnect with people they knew after decades of separation and start all over again. Just keep your options open, and don't look at it as a door slamming permanently in your face unless she so indicates.

On the other hand, don't blow your chance if she winds up asking you out instead.

And maybe try to avoid busy places like Starbucks.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)

Last edited by Melakon; November 16 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 12:40 AM   #114
Use of Time
Commodore
 
Use of Time's Avatar
 
Location: Va. Beach, VA
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

I'm trying to figure out what the endgame of this thread is supposed to be. I mean at one point Locutus shut it down because it wasn't really going anywhere. Kommander asked him to open it back up but that only served to rehash the same points of view. Kommander you are giving some pretty flippant answers to legitimate questions almost like you don't want to discuss this anymore. Why did you even bother to ask Locutus to open it back up again if we are just going to keep going in circles trying to figure out what you should do. What exactly is it you want from us?

Good luck to you and I hope you can find some happiness through all of this. God knows you aren't the first person to have conflicted thoughts about a potential significant other.
__________________
Searching for something, a million miles and a ways to go.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:32 PM   #115
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Why did you even bother to ask Locutus to open it back up again if we are just going to keep going in circles [...] ?
Because he's one of those people who always need to have the final say (literally).
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:25 AM   #116
An Officer
Vice Admiral
 
An Officer's Avatar
 
Location: Reality & Other Falsehoods
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Sometimes maybe people just need to talk, without a conclusion... sort of unload and find relief through sharing.

I doubt Kommander will make a thread like this again, some of the responses were quite harsh and unforgiving... it's unfortunate we get so many of these type of threads that never seem to have a conclusion, it's desensitized many of us to this sort of plight!
__________________
"Out there.... thataway."
An Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 04:45 AM   #117
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

The moral of this kind of thread is to just ask the girl out! If she says "yes", have a nice time. If not, move on!

It's really not any more complicated than that but Kommander seems to have an entire extra layer drama that is happening, at least in his head. I don't mean that as an insult at all, but hopefully he recognizes it as something to sort out.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:51 AM   #118
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

I basically agree, An Officer, but I'd like to point out that the harsh tone was on both sides. I am not sure if you have a similar proverb but in my country we have one that fits this situation perfectly: The way you shout into a forrest the echo will come back.
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 03:44 PM   #119
Kommander
Commodore
 
Location: Detroit
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I'm trying to figure out what the endgame of this thread is supposed to be. I mean at one point Locutus shut it down because it wasn't really going anywhere. Kommander asked him to open it back up but that only served to rehash the same points of view. Kommander you are giving some pretty flippant answers to legitimate questions almost like you don't want to discuss this anymore. Why did you even bother to ask Locutus to open it back up again if we are just going to keep going in circles trying to figure out what you should do. What exactly is it you want from us?

Good luck to you and I hope you can find some happiness through all of this. God knows you aren't the first person to have conflicted thoughts about a potential significant other.
There really is no endgame, other than me saying "thanks for the input everyone, I'll take it into varying degrees of consideration." There was never another possible outcome. Eventually, people will stop providing input, and the thread will slip onto the second page, never to be seen again.

Locutus locked the thread because it looked like I had lost interest in it, but others were still attacking me. I had been reading it, I just didn't have time to reply for a few days there. I did intend to reply, so the reason for locking it became invalid. There was the caveat that further conversation would be hopefully more productive, but I'm not in complete control of that.

An Officer wrote: View Post
Sometimes maybe people just need to talk, without a conclusion... sort of unload and find relief through sharing.
Yes. Could part of the problem here be that others were expecting a conclusion? That honestly never occurred to me; I was just looking for input.

An Officer wrote: View Post
I doubt Kommander will make a thread like this again,
I'll definitely think twice about it, but I'm kind of bad about predicting my future actions. I can mostly see why this thread turned out the way it did, but the other two threads I will always see the hostility as completely out of line. The other threads came across as "this isn't something I would do, therefore you are wrong." The situations behind those threads didn't turn out in ways that I liked, but nothing I did made them worse or really changed the outcome at all. Same thing with this thread, really. The only difference is that I have a lot of potential to screw things up on my own here. Hopefully I won't.

An Officer wrote: View Post
some of the responses were quite harsh and unforgiving... it's unfortunate we get so many of these type of threads that never seem to have a conclusion, it's desensitized many of us to this sort of plight!
I've been in TNZ quite a bit. Nothing I can't handle.

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
The moral of this kind of thread is to just ask the girl out! If she says "yes", have a nice time. If not, move on!
I thought like this in my early 20s. The result was I asked a lot of women out, I went on a lot of first dates, and things fizzled out before a second date. That approach to dating works for a lot of people, but it doesn't work for me. The women I've been involved with beyond a first date I did not meet in the context of pursuing a romantic relationship, and the romantic interest developed little by little.

So, I discovered what does work for me to some extent. The problem is, letting it happen on it's own doesn't work all the time. Mostly letting it happen on its own while occasionally giving things a little push seems like it would work a little better. Figuring out when to give a little push and occasionally a big push is difficult, and what is giving me pause right now.

Saying "just ask her out" to someone who has not tried that approach is probably good advice, and has worked for a lot of people, which is why so many are quick to suggest it. For me, however, if the first date doesn't come about organically, it's probably not going to work.

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
It's really not any more complicated than that but Kommander seems to have an entire extra layer drama that is happening, at least in his head. I don't mean that as an insult at all, but hopefully he recognizes it as something to sort out.
Ok, here's why being simple about things doesn't work for me. There is a social template for dating, a way that people are expected to act. Part of this is that people are typically on their best behavior. If I'm dating someone and they stick to the social template, it prevents me from getting to know who they really are. It also causes them to appear to be dishonest and that kills any attraction I have for them. On the other hand, when I go for baseline behavior rather than my best, it can come off as "if this is his best behavior, what's he like normally?" or like I just have no capacity to self-monitor; that I'm not aware that my behavior is different from what's expected rather than it being a conscious choice. If I can remove the dating context and just spend time with someone, none of this happens. I'm free to be myself, she is free to be herself, and we can actually get to know each other. The problem is, removing the dating context is extraordinarily difficult. I need to figure it out, or try something else entirely, as I already know just doing what everyone else does doesn't work for me.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I basically agree, An Officer, but I'd like to point out that the harsh tone was on both sides. I am not sure if you have a similar proverb but in my country we have one that fits this situation perfectly: The way you shout into a forrest the echo will come back.
You know what? You're right. (Hey look Timby, I've shown personal growth. )
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:11 PM   #120
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: Angst-Ridden Dating Rant #17

LOL you're just trying to flatter an oldtimer who has friends in the BR and the Admirals' Lounge
Keep growing!
(Why do I have the feeling that while this was grammatically correct it's not 100% ladylike..)
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.