RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,839
Posts: 5,473,637
Members: 25,039
Currently online: 530
Newest member: hig4s

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 16 2013, 06:33 AM   #16
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

Klingons are a huge part of Trek, so using them more is to be expected. I enjoyed what we saw of them in the last movie.
But, Klingons have been used so much thru out so many movies and episodes, I'm just not sure there's a new story left to tell with them. I don't know what JJ could do with Klingons that hasn't already been done.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Rhovanion
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I want Lord of the Rings-scale armies of Klingons marching on Federation worlds, with ruined starships falling out of the sky as battle rages above.
I second the motion.
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 02:48 PM   #18
loghaD
Ensign
 
View loghaD's Twitter Profile
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

I'm not sure I like what I've seen of the Klingons in JJ-Trek so far; it seems they're going straight for the vikings of TNG, rather than the cunning Klingons of TOS.

That being said, most of the Klingons we've seen thus far (on Rura Penthe in Star Trek XI, and in Ketha in STID) have all been guards, so perhaps it isn't strange that they've been all muscle. The interrogation scene in STXI did feel a bit more ... "Kor:ish", so to speak.

I hope they take some inspiration from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection and the FASA continuity; I feel they really got the Klingons right. Marc Okrand's Klingon for the Galactic Traveler also gives some very interesting cultural insight, though more focused on TNG/DS9 Klingons.
loghaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:29 PM   #19
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

Yesterday I saw the Klingon bluray feature (on the Target version of ID), it seems they even considered which of the Klingon languages to use - and to the best of my knowledge there are only two - Okrand's Klingon and Ford's Klingonaase (J.J.: "I made sure to stay as far away from that discussion as possible"). So it's cool they even considered it. I think the heavy cloud cover on Kronos was a definite nod to Ford's version of the Klingon homeworld.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
 
Crazy Eddie's Avatar
 
Location: I'm in your ___, ___ing your ___
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

loghaD wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I like what I've seen of the Klingons in JJ-Trek so far; it seems they're going straight for the vikings of TNG, rather than the cunning Klingons of TOS.

That being said, most of the Klingons we've seen thus far (on Rura Penthe in Star Trek XI, and in Ketha in STID) have all been guards, so perhaps it isn't strange that they've been all muscle. The interrogation scene in STXI did feel a bit more ... "Kor:ish", so to speak.

I hope they take some inspiration from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection and the FASA continuity; I feel they really got the Klingons right. Marc Okrand's Klingon for the Galactic Traveler also gives some very interesting cultural insight, though more focused on TNG/DS9 Klingons.
Part of me wishes they'd base the Klingons a bit more on the Krogan from Mass Effect: you portray them as being hostile and unpleasant, not because they have any sort of imperial/conquering agenda, but just because their culture and institutions are all completely dysfunctional -- even by their standards -- and they simply don't know what else to do with themselves.
__________________
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:21 AM   #21
borgboy
Fleet Captain
 
borgboy's Avatar
 
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
loghaD wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I like what I've seen of the Klingons in JJ-Trek so far; it seems they're going straight for the vikings of TNG, rather than the cunning Klingons of TOS.

That being said, most of the Klingons we've seen thus far (on Rura Penthe in Star Trek XI, and in Ketha in STID) have all been guards, so perhaps it isn't strange that they've been all muscle. The interrogation scene in STXI did feel a bit more ... "Kor:ish", so to speak.

I hope they take some inspiration from John M. Ford's The Final Reflection and the FASA continuity; I feel they really got the Klingons right. Marc Okrand's Klingon for the Galactic Traveler also gives some very interesting cultural insight, though more focused on TNG/DS9 Klingons.
Part of me wishes they'd base the Klingons a bit more on the Krogan from Mass Effect: you portray them as being hostile and unpleasant, not because they have any sort of imperial/conquering agenda, but just because their culture and institutions are all completely dysfunctional -- even by their standards -- and they simply don't know what else to do with themselves.
That sounds pretty much exactly like Klingons to me.
__________________
Resistance is futile
borgboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 09:10 PM   #22
Wadjda
Commander
 
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

I hope they will be a nice blend between the HONOR!!!!! and schemy TOS klingons.
Wadjda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2013, 04:55 PM   #23
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
We only saw one with his helmet off so I would certainly like to see more.
Naked Klingons?
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 01:43 AM   #24
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain
 
Enterprise1701's Avatar
 
Location: Sol III, Sector 001, 2014 C.E.
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

The Keeper wrote: View Post
^Some of them do in STO #25 The Khitomer Conflict. Looking through that again, however, I cannot find the same frame I was recalling before although the bottom frame of page one is similar. I may have dream't it, or my memory was mistaken, (brainfart.) I'll let you know if I come across it again.
I hate the head ridge rings. But in any case, it was a definite error that the Klingons in The Khitomer Conflict had smooth backs as seen in this image from IDW #25.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...-HRF-8c75a.jpg

Because here is Worf's back as seen in TNG: "Ethics".

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ngon_spine.jpg

Last edited by Enterprise1701; April 22 2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Image links.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 02:25 AM   #25
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
^Some of them do in STO #25 The Khitomer Conflict. Looking through that again, however, I cannot find the same frame I was recalling before although the bottom frame of page one is similar. I may have dream't it, or my memory was mistaken, (brainfart.) I'll let you know if I come across it again.
It was a definite error that the Klingons in The Khitomer Conflict had smooth backs. And I hate the head ridge rings.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...-HRF-8c75a.jpg

[Inline image converted to link. Embedded images should be hosted on web space or an image-sharing account registered to you. - M']

.
Sorry you hate the head ridge rings, but that doesn't mean it's OK to hotlink images from web space which does not belong to you.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 03:04 AM   #26
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain
 
Enterprise1701's Avatar
 
Location: Sol III, Sector 001, 2014 C.E.
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Enterprise1701 wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
^Some of them do in STO #25 The Khitomer Conflict. Looking through that again, however, I cannot find the same frame I was recalling before although the bottom frame of page one is similar. I may have dream't it, or my memory was mistaken, (brainfart.) I'll let you know if I come across it again.
It was a definite error that the Klingons in The Khitomer Conflict had smooth backs. And I hate the head ridge rings.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...-HRF-8c75a.jpg

[Inline image converted to link. Embedded images should be hosted on web space or an image-sharing account registered to you. - M']

.
Sorry you hate the head ridge rings, but that doesn't mean it's OK to hotlink images from web space which does not belong to you.
Oops. I'll try to fix that.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 04:52 AM   #27
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

The Klingons looked great in STID. Too bad they didn't actually do anything substantial. It's like "uh we can't go two Star Trek movies without them so let's put them in here somewhere even though they just serve as fodder for the main villain to make him look like the ULTIMATE BADASS". And then super saiyan (sorry, I mean Khan) proceeds to make them all look like chumps. Who can really take Klingons seriously after that poor showing.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 02:43 PM   #28
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

The Worf Effect has grown to engulf the entire Klingon Empire.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2014, 04:12 PM   #29
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral
 
Jedi_Master's Avatar
 
Location: happy happy happy
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

borgboy wrote: View Post
Klingons are a huge part of Trek, so using them more is to be expected. I enjoyed what we saw of them in the last movie.
But, Klingons have been used so much thru out so many movies and episodes, I'm just not sure there's a new story left to tell with them. I don't know what JJ could do with Klingons that hasn't already been done.
This.

Klingons will most likely be in future nuTrek movies, but unless JJ decides to make them big Gilbert and Sullivan fans, they will not be any different than the Klingons we have seen throughout Trek.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2014, 02:07 AM   #30
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Rhovanion
Re: Klingons in the JJ universe

Jedi_Master wrote:
unless JJ decides to make them big Gilbert and Sullivan fans
Well, we already know they like opera.
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.