Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 17 2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: One last surprise?

Have him regenerate into Peter Cushing. Then Cushing becomes Eccelston while in pursuit of the Zygons the last of whom disguises itself as Rose.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Sparky
Commodore

Kelso wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Even if there's a regeneration from Hurt to Eccleston, there's the possibility of revisiting the War Doctor. It's not as though his life were brief! He may have had the longest life of any of the incarnations.
Yeah, really! Given that Eleven went two hundred years without visibly increasing in age, the War Doctor looks like he's been around for about 8,000 years!
A hard life ages people. The War Doctor has undoubted been around for a while, but probably not as long as you would think given his appearance.
Old November 17 2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Night of the Doctor style regeneration for Hurt in the 50th or in the other mini episode. I doubt Eccleston will actually return even for a brief regeneration scene.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Sparky
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
Friendly forum this.

Jesus wept, get out the shot gun. I mistakenly added an extra "E" at the end of an actors name that hasn't appeared on the show since 2005 (yes, I'm probably wrong with that date too but I just can't be arsed to look it up).

Mods. Lock/Delete/do whatever to this thread. I'll stay clear from now on.
Ah, the over reaction of the willfully ignorant.

First things first. There is no Jesus, just a myth. Second, I don't own a shotgun, even if i did I wouldn't think of using it on you.(or anyone for that matter)

The actor hasn't appeared since 2005? So what? He is a well known critically acclaimed actor, a 5 second search on google or imdb will reveal his name. Now I admit, in both of my posts it is late, I can't sleep and i'm grumpy. Ecclestone is like there their and they're, it drives me nuts that such a basic thing is so misused.

Your attitude of "I just can't be arsed to look it up" Is the problem. I don't expect you to remember the name of extra number 3 from episode 14 season 2. But the name of the main actor who played the Doctor? Yeah, I expect that to be correct if i'm to take you seriously. When you show that you can't even be attentive enough to know the name of the actor, how is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

It's a simple thing, get the name right, and don't be proud that you are too lazy to do so.
Old November 17 2013, 09:57 AM   #20
Sparky
Commodore

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Night of the Doctor style regeneration for Hurt in the 50th or in the other mini episode. I doubt Eccleston will actually return even for a brief regeneration scene.
I'm hoping for another Moffat misdirection. A few seconds of footage from Eccleston is all that is needed.
Old November 17 2013, 11:26 AM   #21
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

I'm also surprised no mods have intervened on Sparkys previous comments given the interventions they have made for less on other threads.

No need to try and belittle MikeS for thinking Hurt might've been a pre-Hartnell incarnation given that we knew nothing about the character when he first appeared.

Back off and take a chill pill or two...
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Wereghost
Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a regeneration on Saturday. The episode title could well refer to the day that he starts calling himself the Doctor again.

Kelso wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Even if there's a regeneration from Hurt to Eccleston, there's the possibility of revisiting the War Doctor. It's not as though his life were brief! He may have had the longest life of any of the incarnations.
Yeah, really! Given that Eleven went two hundred years without visibly increasing in age, the War Doctor looks like he's been around for about 8,000 years!
3000 or 4000 ought to do it.

Alternatively, it could be explained away by this incarnation being part human, just like Eight.

Last edited by Wereghost; November 17 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:27 PM   #23
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Sparky wrote: View Post
A hard life ages people. The War Doctor has undoubted been around for a while, but probably not as long as you would think given his appearance.
Or his age is a byproduct of the events depicted in stories such as "Challenge of the Cruciform" and "The Nightmare Child Rises".
Old November 17 2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Before a few days ago, I would have thought you were a crazy person but after Night of the Doctor brought back McGann even after months of denying so, I believe anything is possible. I think it's not that likely, but I'm open to it. Personally, I'd love it; it'd mean we finally see every doctor who regeneration ever, but I'm not banking on it. Maybe if Eccleston agreed to feature a main doctor in the 50th it would have happened but now not so sure. Might have meant McGann wouldn't have returned which is not worth the sacrifice; long live McGann! :P
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

3chordboy wrote: View Post
I'm also surprised no mods have intervened on Sparkys previous comments given the interventions they have made for less on other threads.

No need to try and belittle MikeS for thinking Hurt might've been a pre-Hartnell incarnation given that we knew nothing about the character when he first appeared.

Back off and take a chill pill or two...
Yea, without a lot of Spoilers, it very easily could've been that HurtDoctor could've been:

1. A PreHartnell Incarnation (Maybe he was a horrible Time Lord, and vowed to changed, and took on the Name of The Doctor to cement the deal, and then he backslid, and then made the bargain again when he became Hartnell. Hartnell was not a nice man when we met him. He took off with Barbara and Ian on board, without their consent, knowing full well he may never be able to return them to their own time, and he almost smashed a Caveman's head in with a rock)

2. We never actually saw the change from Troughton to Pertwee, it could've been that Troughton became so pissed off from having his Incarnation's life taken from him, that when he was force Regenerated into Hurt he became a vile Bastard. This would've been a very good feint on Moffat's part, because it was probably the least suspected of the 3 main possibilities, so, would've been a big surprise to most.

3. In between McGann and Eccelston as The Time War Doctor

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 06:19 PM   #26
Lance
Fleet Captain

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Eccleston won't be appearing. BBC issued a press release saying he wasn't appearing, didn't they? You don't do that and then have the guy show up.

He ain't showing up.
Prior to the release of 'Night of the Doctor', there was a statemen from the BBC which stated that no past Doctors other than Tennant were going to appear in anything related to the special, including mini-episodes (a curiously specific denial in hindsight, it must be said), with some of these sources even emphatically underlining each of the individual actors in turn, including Paul McGann, as being somebody who was not going to appear.

Basically, the makers of Doctor Who lie. And they're happy to be liars, because there in lies the art of truly surprising the audience.

Having said that, if I were placing odds on Eccleston's secret involvement... I'd say it is pretty unlikely. The man himself has stated he has no interest in it and he's a straight-shooter when it comes to these things. I doubt he'd be willing to play the publicity game either, keeping his own involvement a secret, especially after the disrespect the BBC PR department shown for him publically when he left the role.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:11 PM   #27
Starkers
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Moffat said he wants to "have the box set, all the regenerations", and there is another Minisode called Last Day which will be on the DVD...

Dramatically and structurally they have to show Hurt's fate unless they're going to have him return in the future - and showing his fate means they either have to have Eccles back to show that regeneration, or fake it with stock footage as they faked Hurt in The Night Of The Doctor. So they have to do that either in the special or the minisode.

Unless of course Moffat just wants something to leave to wind up the fans. Which he might.
Well guess we could have a regeneration without Eccleston, have Hurt begin to regenerate then fade away, maybe pan away from where he's mid regeneration to Nine's leather jacket?

Even if Eccleston did come back we would still be technically missing a regeneration though, wouldn't we? I mean we never actually saw Two turn into Three did we...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:42 PM   #28
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Several people have been confirmed to be involved with the 50th, who had previously claimed that they'd not even been approached, or had offered to participate but been shunned by TPTB.

And since their denials of involvement turned out to be subterfuge, pretty much all such denials are now a tad suspect.

Granted, I'd still be a bit surprised if Eccleston showed up, but I'm still banking on David Bradley, and/or Reece Shearsmith, and/or Mark Gatiss putting in appearances in the ep as the Doctors they'll be portraying in "An Adventure in Space and Time".

Likewise, I won't be even the tiniest bit surprised if Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, or Peter Davison shows up. And after seeing present-day Tom Baker back in his Doctor drag on the cover of the latest Radio Times...

...I seriously think he looks enough like his old self that he's really just a curly wig away from being able to reprise his generation of the Doctor. (The man looks amazing for being a hairsbreadth this side of 80!)
Old November 17 2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Thats not present-day Tom Baker. Thats 1993, Dimensions in Time Tom Baker.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 11:06 PM   #30
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Really? Cause in the face, at least to my eye, he looks pretty much as he looked when he appeared on stage with Louise Jameson at the BFI back in April of this year. (I simply assumed the scarf was hiding the extra chins and wattle.) And judging by photos of that event, he still looks enough like his old self that no one would balk at him reprising the role.