TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 16 2013, 05:17 PM   #436
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

teacake wrote: View Post
Yeah it's a lot less ridiculous than a gazillion other medical magics from Trek.
'Cept for the part where it resurrects people.
Old November 16 2013, 05:24 PM   #437
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Like the Genesis Device, Nomad, nanites and Borg nanoprobes?
Old November 16 2013, 05:43 PM   #438
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

I thought the Genesis Effect literally resurrecting Spock was also pretty weaksauce, yes.

(EDIT: ZOMFG. The blood resurrecting Kirk is a "clever parallel" to Spock's resurrection, isn't it?! Oh my god that is so much more vomitous...)

The Enterprise has also encountered many aliens with tech-indistinguishable-from-magic -- I'm sure Q could probably resurrect people if it suited him, let alone Nomad "repairing" Scotty -- but those encounters are typically one-shots, not replicable medical technologies. Which is a good idea, since giving your heroes the ability to just pop to sickbay and resurrect themselves is narratively probably unwise.

And yes, that most certainly also applies to "resurrection by Borg nanoprobe," a terrible idea from a Neelix episode... I would say "dreadful Neelix peisode" but that would be redundant. In fact I think we've talked about that in this very thread.

No doubt they'll come up with a "fix" for that problem in the next movie, of course.

Last edited by BigKrampus; November 16 2013 at 06:02 PM.
BigKrampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 05:44 PM   #439
Cara007
Lieutenant

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Especially once we got to the feature films. Did Crusher or Troi do anything notable at all, in any of them?
Troi got drunk and Crusher got a free boob job.

What's what all of the Next Generation hate? The show still has a lot of fans, and many ladies still love both Crusher and Troi flaws and all.

siskokid888 wrote: View Post
Cara007 wrote: View Post
I wish this guys don't return for the third film. No offence, I am not saying they are awful but they don't just work for a franchise like Star Trek. Orci and his friends are male fan writers so it is only logical that their writing in film lacks depth, substance and is filled with too much explosions, twisted sex scenes, unnecessary nudity and all the shallowness there is with little story.

They also care too much about showing off a woman's hotness and using her as a sex object than writing her as a strong formidable woman.

Star Trek films should have a very deep story with a lot of philosophical and intellectual influences. Star Trek has never falling into the mindless summer action flicks that no one will remember again once the summer is over talk less of before the year is over.

Orci and his friends are more suited for the popcorn action flicks with all the cars and the girls like Transformers and Fast and the Furious. They just don't fit Star Trek.

I advice Paramount to get real credible and intelligent science fiction writers like Micko Kaku or Neil deGrasse Tyson to at least write the story for Star Trek and then get an Oscar winning or nominated indie screen writer or a screen writers with a large body of work that has been met with high critical acclaim to write the script for the next film.

I have been so torn with how I feel about Into Darkness but now that the year is almost over, I can now say the film was a missed opportunity and the fault is with story.

I don't except Paramount to listen to many fans. All they care about is making money and the only way to make money is to have explosions explosions and explosions with really hot girls that do nothing.

Its sad especially with Gravity out. Gravity was a beautiful and well in depth sci-fi film that will be remembered for a long time. It is what Star Trek Into Darkness should have been.
I in no way want to demean your opinion, but I encourage you to go on "The Onion" website and look up a satirical article they did after Trek09 came out. Its entitled "Trek fans pan new film as fun, watchable". You'll get a good laugh, and maybe a little insight.
Are you kidding? Despite that and what else has been said here by everybody else, most people like the OP won't ever listen, but still get madder and madder at being told that. At time like this, and in post like this, I just want to give up convincing them.

Cara007; who should be doing this? Please tell me, and give me, a complete list of people that you think are true to the spirit of Star Trek that can write a great script that can please overcritical fans like you, the general public, AND critics, as well as make Paramount's executives happy financially. I'm just dying to hear.

Truly, I don know. What I know is that I do not want Lindelof and Kurtzman to return. Orci has potential but I feel his writing partners are just meh. Can't we get a very good screen writer who has had a lot of critical acclaim to write Trek 3?

James Cameron is not my favourite screen writer but I will rather have him write and direct Trek 3. Christopher Nolan is a very good writer as well but his writing can be very one dimensional at times because he takes it too seriously.

Joss Wheedon would have been the perfect fit for Trek 3.
Cara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #440
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

BigJake wrote: View Post
I thought the Genesis Effect literally resurrecting Spock was also pretty weaksauce, yes.

The Enterprise has also encountered many aliens with tech-indistinguishable-from-magic -- I'm sure Q could probably resurrect people if it suited him, let alone Nomad "repairing" Scotty -- but those encounters are typically one-shots, not replicable medical technologies. Which is a good idea, since giving your heroes the ability to just pop to sickbay and resurrect themselves is narratively probably unwise.

No doubt they'll come up with a "fix" for that problem in the next movie, of course.
Trek has a habit of ignoring "advanced technologies" that will become narratively unwise in future installments, so I'm not too worried.

I would think the nanoprobes should be a tech that Starfleet Medical would be exploring, especially with a tamed Borg at their disposal.

Bit of a shame they couldn't duplicate Nomad's memory banks before it exploded.

Truly, I don know. What I know is that I do not want Lindelof and Kurtzman to return. Orci has potential but I feel his writing partners are just meh. Can't we get a very good screen writer who has had a lot of critical acclaim to write Trek 3?
So you know who wrote what?

James Cameron is not my favourite screen writer but I will rather have him write and direct Trek 3. Christopher Nolan is a very good writer as well but his writing can be very one dimensional at times because he takes it too seriously.
Yeah, like either one is a possibility.

For what reasons?
Old November 16 2013, 06:25 PM   #441
Cara007
Lieutenant

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Trek has a habit of ignoring "advanced technologies" that will become narratively unwise in future installments, so I'm not too worried.

I would think the nanoprobes should be a tech that Starfleet Medical would be exploring, especially with a tamed Borg at their disposal.

Bit of a shame they couldn't duplicate Nomad's memory banks before it exploded.

So you know who wrote what?

Yeah, like either one is a possibility.

For what reasons?

I have always loved Joss. I loved him before he got so huge and popular last year with Avengers. Joss is a genius. Buffy the vampire slayer is one of the best ever written shows on Television.
Cara007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:28 PM   #442
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

I have always loved Joss. I loved him before he got so huge and popular last year with Avengers. Joss is a genius. Buffy the vampire slayer is one of the best ever written shows on Television.
But what's right for Buffy might not be right for Trek.

I couldn't get past the first few episodes of Buffy, myself.
Old November 16 2013, 06:45 PM   #443
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Yeah it's a lot less ridiculous than a gazillion other medical magics from Trek.
Kirk was only mostly dead, hence why they put him in the cryotube to preserve his brain functions.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:50 PM   #444
SeerSGB
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post

First Contact *grrrrr* Lily's role could have been handed off to Crusher. Take the Briefing Room scene, now have Crusher making the same arguments as Lily and Picard flipping out on Beverly...that's a better scene.
And there by lose the interesting thing about the scene being a mid 21st century post WWIII person calling the oh so evolved better 24th century captain out on his hypocrisy.
Not only that, but that also means replacing Alfre Woodard with Gates McFadden. To add, that means replacing Alfre Woodard with Gates McFadden. Alfre, as Lilly, holds her own for every single second of screen time she gets. She's damn near flawless (IMO, of course), and I think replacing her with the doctor is a step in the wrong direction. I like Gates McFadden, she's a good actress, and she's good with props, but holy tribble sex on a bunsen burner, she has nowhere near the screen presence of Alfre Woodard. I think it would have fallen flat with Crusher confronting Picard.
Replacing Alfre Woodard would be AWFUL!! And replacing her with boring Beverly would turn that scene into Picared/Crusher foreplay and it would be absolutely DULL. DULL. DULL. Lily and Cochrane are great not just because of the actors but because we need to be looking at NEW PEOPLE not the same old same old(er) crew we've been looking at for 7 seasons already.
I think Alfre Woodard is a great actress; she's not bad in the role of Lilly. Lilly just grates on my nerves and feels like having her there comes at the expense of character moments and development for the TNG crew. For me, it would have had more punch for Crusher to be the one getting into Picard's face and forcing him to deal with the fact that he's blinded by vengeance.

Kirk was only mostly dead, hence why they put him in the cryotube to preserve his brain functions.
Pretty much on par with the Cryo-Patients from "The Neutral Zone"
Old November 16 2013, 07:18 PM   #445
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Miracle Max from Princess Bride should guest star in the next movie!
Old November 16 2013, 10:03 PM   #446
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Pretty much on par with the Cryo-Patients from "The Neutral Zone"
They were all the way dead.

But you know you're not allowed to bring up past Trek precedents when evaluating the Abrams films. When the older episodes/films do something off-the-wall? Genius. When the Abrams films do it? He's pissing all over Star Trek, its fans and its legacy.
Old November 16 2013, 10:32 PM   #447
MakeshiftPython
Captain

As if "The Neutral Zone" is all that revered by fans as "genius". I do get what you're saying though, and there are hypocritical fans who praise a certain element on one place, but trash it when Abrams does the same thing. Really though, forget them. I do think the magic blood thing is stupid, but that doesn't mean I liked it when it was done in the past. Trek has done some pretty stupid and goofy things in the past, but I don't think that means you just keep doing those things and assume it's all kosher because it's been done before anyway. At one point Spock goes blind, but oh wait he has a second set of inner eyelids, so he's okay! That kind of stuff is cheap, and I'd prefer Trek to move away from that kind of stuff unless it does something truly interesting. Like the Neelix episode when he gets revived by nanoprobes. Totally silly, but it actually delves deeper into how Neelix perceives the afterlife so that silly element from the beginning is more of a catalyst rather than a cop out.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 10:43 PM   #448
CorporalClegg
Admiral

"The Neutral Zone" has Leon Rippy; it's automatically genius.
Old November 16 2013, 10:51 PM   #449
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Like "McCoy's Magic Kidney Pills". Guarantee to grow you a new kidney in minutes or your money back!
The real miracle was the woman getting her scan results back so efficiently.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 10:55 PM   #450
SeerSGB
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Like "McCoy's Magic Kidney Pills". Guarantee to grow you a new kidney in minutes or your money back!
The real miracle was the woman getting her scan results back so efficiently.
Wait till she gets the bill though. You can bet that hospital charged her for that new kidney

Oh shit: What if McCoy's healing pills were the baseline for Khan's healing blood? Prime McCoy could have created magic blood when he contaminated the timeline.

Last edited by SeerSGB; November 16 2013 at 11:15 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote