Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 28 11.16%
A 53 21.12%
A- 46 18.33%
B+ 25 9.96%
B 27 10.76%
B- 11 4.38%
C+ 13 5.18%
C 12 4.78%
C- 9 3.59%
D+ 8 3.19%
D 10 3.98%
D- 5 1.99%
F 4 1.59%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 16 2013, 07:13 AM   #1351
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Pre Gritty DC reboot, He would never kill Zod.
Superman executed 3 kryptonians as earlier as the late 80's. Caused him to have a mental breakdown for a while, but he did it.

ETA: This occurred in Superman #22 in 1988.
Old November 16 2013, 08:56 AM   #1352
Gov Kodos
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Superman executed 3 kryptonians as earlier as the late 80's. Caused him to have a mental breakdown for a while, but he did it.

I doubt there was a pile of plushy foam animals at the bottom of that abyss in the Reeve movie. Also, he was indirectly responsible for those two folks who discovered his ID in the George Reeves TV show. They fell off the cliff side when he went off to get them supplies. Killing isn't his thing, but he's been responsible for a few. He took the whole thing rather cooly, too.

We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 09:41 AM   #1353
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's an even bigger pile of bullshit. First, Man of Steel ends in the Daily Planet and everyone acts like nothing at all happened. Second, Avengers was a lot more concerned with the people in comparison. Almost everyone of the Avengers is shown to help innocent bystanders, and at the end of it all, we see a montage of interviews with New Yorkers. And New York isn't even trashed as much as Metropolis either.

Which brings me to the end. Superman goes from screaming his lungs out to swatting a UAV that the Military was using(which we the audience are supposed to chuckle at)

The movie didn't know whether end on a somber note or uplifting note

It's almost a whiplash effect.
Ugh! I hated that scene. It made Superman look like an asshole. What does it matter if the government wants to keep tabs on him. What could they do to stop him if he wanted to do something bad?
Old November 16 2013, 10:05 AM   #1354
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's an even bigger pile of bullshit. First, Man of Steel ends in the Daily Planet and everyone acts like nothing at all happened. Second, Avengers was a lot more concerned with the people in comparison. Almost everyone of the Avengers is shown to help innocent bystanders, and at the end of it all, we see a montage of interviews with New Yorkers. And New York isn't even trashed as much as Metropolis either.

Which brings me to the end. Superman goes from screaming his lungs out to swatting a UAV that the Military was using(which we the audience are supposed to chuckle at)

Ugh! I hated that scene. It made Superman look like an asshole. What does it matter if the government wants to keep tabs on him. What could they do to stop him if he wanted to do something bad?
I didn't care for it either. Grave site to The Planet would have been fine.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 10:12 AM   #1355
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Samaritan wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post

I didn't care for it either. Grave site to The Planet would have been fine.
Plus, it was so abrupt. It was something else being destroyed, and I thought "Is Zod still attacking?" Ugh
Old November 16 2013, 03:52 PM   #1356
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Also, he was indirectly responsible for those two folks who discovered his ID in the George Reeves TV show. They fell off the cliff side when he went off to get them supplies. Killing isn't his thing, but he's been responsible for a few. He took the whole thing rather cooly, too.
If you're going to go back that far, might as well take it all the way to the early days when Superman was known to throw thugs out windows and super-speed them into the paths of their own bullets. On one occasion he kicked a car full of thugs into a pile of scrap while dressed as Clark Kent. Smiling over the wreckage, he didn't seem concerned that anyone would be crawling out to expose his identity....
Old November 16 2013, 05:46 PM   #1357
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

stj wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
Your point (except for tedious repetition)?
The point of course is that there are criticisms to be made of the film that are neither nit-picking nor contrarian, about what's entertaining. Admitted, the refusal to accept that gets tedious.
Just because YOU were bored doesn't make it boring to everyone. There are plenty of things to criticize in the film, though not all of them universally seen as worthy of criticism. The tediousness comes from your haughty assumption that because you were bored, it should necessarily have been boring to everyone (and implying that those who were not bored are somehow inferior in their understanding of film, storytelling, and whatever else you want to pat yourself on the back for in terms of being oh so much more clever than everyone else).

Really? You got a "Hell, yeah!!" vibe from that scene? You really think that's the tone the filmmakers were attempting to create? If so, you were not watching the same film I (or anyone else in the packed cinema where I was) was. There was no celebratory tone in that moment--none.
Yes, the scene was meant for those who enjoy seeing the villain die. That's why the script clumsily saved Zod from disappearing with the others; that's why the script clumsily set Zod up for suicide; that's why the script set up a supposed dramatic choice that wasn't a choice at all, robbing the whole exercise of any genuine meaning.

So what if Superman suffers? It would make it altogether too obvious what was going on if he chuckled and quipped. But if he suffers, you get double your pleasure: Hero Kills Villain and Suffering Hero. You've let your stubborness in refusing to tolerate criticism lead you into denying that people can't enjoy suffering hero fantasies. As you said, what a load of bullocks.
First of all, you have no idea what I "tolerate", nor what I "enjoy". Second, you erroneously presume that my disagreement with YOUR criticisms means I have none of my own. Further, you also presume that any reading of the film that differs from yours is not simply that, different, but incorrect. Your presumption is what is actually incorrect.

I did not "enjoy" seeing the villain die. I considered the moment a tragic one for the hero--and I found that a refreshing character moment for Superman. The scene worked for me because it was not what I expected Superman to do, but was rather more interesting than the standard "send him back to the Phantom Zone" solution others are advocating. It reinforces the fact that, in this story, Superman is brand new--literally so--as a "superhero". He makes a number of decisions that a more experienced, mature Superman very likely would not make. That's a different take than prior film versions and adds interest to the story for me. You found it meaningless? Good for you. Doesn't mean it lacked meaning for everyone else.

This nonsense makes it a little hard to forget that Man of Steel did some things, especially Lois, very well.
I presume you mean "remember", rather than "forget". If so, I agree on this point.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:22 PM   #1358
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post

Sure they could have written a more traditional scene where Superman stops Zod without killing him, I like the fact they they took a different route and did something unexpected. I don't see Superman's reaction to killing Zod as being hammy. I thought it was good acting and emotional.

Or Superman could have ambiguously just thrown him into a pit of mist and clouds like in Superman II.

I love that movie, but come on! That scene doesn't bother me it is just ironic that people complain that Superman kills Zod in this movie and yet it is implied that he killed him in Superman II but because it is shown in such a "G" rated manner nobody bats an eye.
I thought that scene in SM II was weird, but come on. He could have been throwing him into anything. I've always just assumed it was some kind of prison, or somehow putting the back in the negative zone. Based on the tone of the other movies, I doubt he was supposed to have been killing them.

Anyway, Superman not killing is part of the character. Pre Gritty DC reboot, He would never kill Zod. Zod could be shooting his eyes at Lois or Ma Kent and he wouldn't snap his neck. But, comic superman was also a hopeful person and had personality, so maybe its not a good compariosn. Still, its like I said. The Zod neck snap is exactly the same as if Batman had just shot Bane with a gun in TDK Rises. Its an action that is totally against everything the hero is about. You could probably find a time in the golden age where superman killed someone, or bizarre rare occurrences of idiot writers doing it in more modern times. On the same token, Batman used a guy on Darkseid in Final Crisis (it was a super science gun, and it was already established that Darkseid would survive into the 31 century so he wasn't actually killing him, but it still kind of counts).

But, its still the most anti superman thing ever. The point of superman isn't to make him super realistic (which they didn't, but they tried). He's supposed to be a hopeful guy, a guy so good that he's literally a superhuman. He doesn't kill, and he saves the day. Making him (and the movie) dark and gritty was just a weird tone that didn't fit the character, and the killing was part of that. They definately have an uphill battle to make Superman/Batman good. I'm hoping they do something with superman realizing that he was wrong, and vowing to never kill again (maybe batman can teach him that lesson). That would atleast make the death not just a pointless moment for people who think every hero should kill the villains Otherwise it becomes a comedy sketch, with Superman just snapping every villain's neck. If he'll do it with Zod with no real hesitation (and he really didn't hesitate, he didn't even try to move Zod or stop him, he just yelled at Zod few times) he has absolutely no reason to not snap everyone's neck. If he can justify Zod, he can easily justify killing any bad guy he comes across, from muggers to supervillains

For your viewing pleasure I have collected as many scans Superman #22 as I could find.

Written and penned by John Byrne this was the day Superman killed... again. If you read the scans you will see why Supes was justified in kill Zod, Zaora (Faora was renamed again for some reason) and Quex-Ul, and why the death of Zod in MOS is fine with me and other people.

Missing Page: Zod thanks Lex for freeing him and destroys the parallel universe Superboy's phantom zone projector. Zod and his followers begin their rampage on the parallel earth.

That is Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, Bruce Wayne/Batman and Hal Jordan/Greeen Lantern in the final panel. In this parallel universe they never became superheroes, but they are still defending planet.

I should clarify that these 3 Kryptonians are Pre-Crisis on infinite earth's Krytponian. Meaning their ability level is way beyond 1986 reboot Superman's level. Superman of the 86 reboot could only travel at the speed of sound and stuggled to move a large skyscapper or small mt. Pre Crisis K' could move a the speed of thought, and under extreme duress could push planets out of their orbit.

Yes that is Zod burning Bruce Wayne alive.

Missing a panel here. Zod and Zaora turn their heat vision on Supergirl.

Idk who Zod and Faora killed, but both Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen were viciously murdered.

The entire population of Earth 5 billion people (circa 1988) murdered by 3 Pre Crisis Kryptonians. Look at their faces. They are smilling about it and boasting they will restore their lost powers and continue to kill more people. They are unrepentant villains. The 86 reboot Superman did not have the knowledge of how to make a phantom zone projector. So he executed them.

Compare this to what we see in MOS in the dream sequence.

Zod hasn't even begun to assualt Earth and already he is displaying the same unrepentantly evil characteristics of his comic counterpart. Human lives mean nothing to him and his followers in both incarnations.

Superman ponders his actions at the end of the issue. The breakdown he would suffer would come in later issues after a battle with Braniac who mental assaulted Superman. After that battle Superman's mental state was weakend and he had recurring nightmares of what he did on the parallel earth to Zod and his followers. The comic Superman Exile deals with Superman leaving Earth as penance.

MOS has Superman execute Zod after (according to Zack Snyder) 5,000 people die. Zod threatend to make humanity suffer after Supes had ruined his plan to terraform the Earth and make a New Krytpon. As we see in the film, Zod was totally cool with wiping out humanity before Superman opposed him.
It may not be pretty but it can be called justice.

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; November 16 2013 at 09:23 PM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:40 PM   #1359
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Wow, that's really obnoxious. Get rid of that shit.
Old November 16 2013, 07:02 PM   #1360
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
???
Old November 16 2013, 08:22 PM   #1361
jbny67
Commander

???
He's referring to the size of the pictures.
jbny67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 08:27 PM   #1362
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

and the complete lack of fair use?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 08:42 PM   #1363
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

???
There shouldn't be thread stretching pictures, especially that many.
Old November 16 2013, 08:46 PM   #1364
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think that one two-page spread where Supes opens the kryptonite canister sums up the whole thing without needing all those other images.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 09:02 PM   #1365
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think that one two-page spread where Supes opens the kryptonite canister sums up the whole thing without needing all those other images.
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
???
There shouldn't be thread stretching pictures, especially that many.
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
and the complete lack of fair use?
jbny67 wrote: View Post
He's referring to the size of the pictures.

I posted the pics with the size that I did so everyone could read the text.

I posted as many as i could so you the reader could get the full context of the situation. Then you could decide fairly if Superman was justified in killing those 3 K's. Zack Snyder has referred to Superman killing Zod in the comics in interviews and on the special features of MOS dvd. Posting only the last 2 pages where Zod exposits his plan to restore his powers and continue killing and where Superman executes them. Does not encompass everything that led Superman to the decision he made. Only posting those two images would be like "Superman killed in the comics, now get over it". I wanted to be as transparent as i could on the discussion of Superman killing.

Normally I would just state the comic issue and leave the individual to go read it themselves. However Superman #22 is not in print. It was only released as a single issue back in 1988. It has never been compiled into a rerelease volume. Many suspect because DC is ashamed of this issue. The 1986 comic "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" has Superman kill and is in print. Also the recent "Injustice" prequel comic that shows Superman killing the Joker by plunging his hand through his chest, is also in print. Both are available for sale at bookstores and amazon.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote