Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 16 2013, 10:36 AM   #31
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Trip Asking for Prime Rib

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If you think about it, in the future hopefully this politically correct ridiculousness that there the slightest thing wrong with the consumption of meat will be a thing of the distant past. That such thoughts once existed will be viewed with contempt, ridicule and mockery.

Prime rib comes from an cow, a beast of the fields, and not from a "junior human being."

Let's not be too hasty! Whales are often killed for meat, amongst other things - to say nothing of the pure FUN of it! One wonders, if whales could scream, whether the practice could've endured, at all? In any case, they were shown, with a high degree of certainty, to be quite sentient in STAR TREK: The Voyage Home. Keep these things in mind!

By the way: I have forsaken eating anything with a face. I am not a Vegetarian, however, and I still rely on products from the meat industry - such as Milk and Eggs. And even Vegetarians feed on death, as Spock once so rightly put it. But when I realized that I didn't have to be a tomb for other creatures and my own survival, I found it hard to justify eating meat, at all.
Old November 16 2013, 10:45 AM   #32
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

So you eat.. sea urchins? Beche de Mer?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 11:06 AM   #33
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Simply put, teacake, I do not eat meat. Nor am I a vegetarian, as I do not enjoy being stuck on the shitter for all hours of the day. Just because I do not eat meat, it does not necessarily follow that I would eat nothing but vegetables. I eat what everybody else would eat, I just took any meat off the plate ...

So, no, I do not eat Sea Urchins, Sea Cucumbers ... nothing of that nature. By the way, The fish in Fish & Chips, has become ever more benthic in nature, thanks to overfishing! You know those weird fish with all the long teeth and a glowing dangly bit over its head, from the ocean floor? <nods> That's what you'll find in there, anymore. I suspect this bit of trivia has put you off Fish & Chips, now?
Old November 16 2013, 11:33 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I don't understand why you don't call yourself a vegetarian when that is the diet you describe? No one ever said vegetarians eat nothing but vegetables. Vegetarians don't eat meat. Some might call themselves Octo lacto vegetarians to indicate they eat eggs and milk, but you haven't said anything that points to you not being a vegetarian, with or without those describers. A person could eat mostly junk food but if they don't eat meat they are a vegetarian.

By the way I asked you about the urchins and cucumbers because they don't have faces

And most of our fish in fish and chips is shark. But no I wouldn't be put off eating something with dangly bits from the ocean floor. No more odd than all the baby octopus I've eaten.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; November 16 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old November 16 2013, 02:01 PM   #35
2takesfrakes
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't understand why you don't call yourself a vegetarian when that is the diet you describe?
Because ...

By the way I asked you about the urchins and cucumbers because they don't have faces
Clever! Devilishly clever ...

And most of our fish in fish and chips is shark. But no I wouldn't be put off eating something with dangly bits from the ocean floor. No more odd than all the baby octopus I've eaten.
Consuming those poor baby octupii ... full of Mercury!
Old November 16 2013, 08:14 PM   #36
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Consuming those poor baby octupii ... full of Mercury!
Cephalopods in general have below average levels of mercury, using sea life in general as a base line. Examples of "full of mercury" would be mackerel, swordfish, shark.

Let's not be too hasty! Whales are often killed for meat ...
But prime rib doesn't come from whales. And I would contend that such hunting is currently rare, certainly in comparison with the past.

... to say nothing of the pure FUN of it!
And don't forget community pride, tradition and spirituality.

One wonders, if whales could scream, whether the practice could've endured, at all?
Hunted animals often make noise when their skin is pierced, to answer your question I doubt it would have effect the practice.

... they were shown, with a high degree of certainty, to be quite sentient in STAR TREK: The Voyage Home.
It depends on the breed of whale in question. The predatory toothed whales are apparently intelligent

But it can be pointed out that hogs and pigs also possess relatively high intelligence, about equal to a three year old Human child, and we (but not you) routinely kill and eat them.

Care for some faceless whale?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 11:06 PM   #37
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I would love to try whale. I know you can buy whale jerky but I've never seen it. I suspect it would taste more like beef jerky than like dried squid which I eat all the time. Dried squid is strongly fishy (with a healthy dose of sugar, msg and chillie on most of them).

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 16 2013, 11:18 PM   #38
jibrilmudo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Master of Tarquin Hill wrote: View Post
Will people hundreds of years from now consider this request repulsive?

Will factory farming still exist?
I have to question the hypocrisy of the Federation Officers in the future... in DS9 at least, multiple crew members eat Klingon food including Gach without making a fuss, so does Riker and Picard (Riker when he was preparing for Officer exchange), etc. That's all living stuff, that moves, and probably is a type of animal.
jibrilmudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:14 AM   #39
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Klingons eat live gagh, which is also known as serpent worms. It's understandable if Riker was getting used to the taste by eating replicated gagh, since the alternative was possibly throwing up all over the table in the presence of the Klingons.
Old November 17 2013, 12:17 AM   #40
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
By the way: I have forsaken eating anything with a face. I am not a Vegetarian, however, and I still rely on products from the meat industry - such as Milk and Eggs. And even Vegetarians feed on death, as Spock once so rightly put it. But when I realized that I didn't have to be a tomb for other creatures and my own survival, I found it hard to justify eating meat, at all.[/QUOTE]

So, you don't like to eat them.. You just like to "use" them. Kinda the same thing.
Old November 17 2013, 12:05 PM   #41
2takesfrakes
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Care for some faceless whale?

N ... O ... E ... !!!

Even when I ate meat, though, I did try to concentrate on quarry of the faceless variety ...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
Old November 17 2013, 12:07 PM   #42
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I love clams (which you rarely get here) and mussels which you get a lot and oysters which you can get fresh at markets for a dollar with lemon and tabasco and anything else you want on them and they are big and juicy.

I pretty much love everything.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 17 2013, 12:09 PM   #43
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Saturn0660 wrote: View Post
So, you don't like to eat them.. You just like to "use" them. Kinda the same thing.
I ignore your insipid insinuation, sir.
Old November 17 2013, 12:15 PM   #44
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I pretty much love everything.
So I gathered! When that alien probe comes to call, I hope it catches you, red handed, snacking on that Whale Jerky of yours!!!
Old November 17 2013, 12:17 PM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I won't be eating cheap whale jerky with red dye, I'm not like americans with their firetruck hotdogs and pistachios and god knows what else.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne