Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 8 2013, 03:33 PM   #1
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Any rumors of an X-Files Blu-ray release?

With TNG and Enterprise being released on Blu-ray, and DS9 being on CBS' "radar" for a Blu-ray release, I was wondering if there had been any rumors about an X-Files Blu-ray release?
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: Any rumors of an X-Files Blu-ray release?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/1...to-blu-in-2013

ETA: Fox might even be able to reframe the earlier seasons to 16:9 provided that all the shots were protected for that ratio.

http://xfilesnews.com/index.php/foru...y-sets-rumored
Old February 8 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've rewatched the show twice on Netflix, but I would still probably buy a Blu-Ray set. I'm way more interested in them wrapping up the series with an alien invasion movie, though.
Old February 8 2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Got the entire series on DVD, but haven't watched the show in years. I'd snap up a BD release in a heartbeat!

Fingers crossed that they pull it off.
Old February 8 2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i would also double dip for Blu-rays. some of those eps from the first and second season are pretty grainy.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
i would also double dip for Blu-rays. some of those eps from the first and second season are pretty grainy.
I think I read somewhere that the grain is inherent to the film stock used by Canadian productions in the 1990's. Even if they could clean it up, I'm not sure if they should - especially if it comes at lowering the quality of the video in other ways.

I just hope if/when the show gets put on Blu Ray, they can restore the alternate taglines that were used in the opening credits of various episodes (the ones that deviated from "The Truth is Out There"). While I haven't seen much of the DVDs due to the expense when they were released, I heard the taglines where changed to the "truth" one for every episode.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Caretaker wrote: View Post
I think I read somewhere that the grain is inherent to the film stock used by Canadian productions in the 1990's. Even if they could clean it up, I'm not sure if they should - especially if it comes at lowering the quality of the video in other ways.

I just hope if/when the show gets put on Blu Ray, they can restore the alternate taglines that were used in the opening credits of various episodes (the ones that deviated from "The Truth is Out There"). While I haven't seen much of the DVDs due to the expense when they were released, I heard the taglines where changed to the "truth" one for every episode.
the DVDs all have the correct taglines. they weren't all changed to The Truth Is Out There.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Eddie Roth
Commodore

In fact, there were only a handful of episodes across the entire series (less than 20 in any case) that had a changed tagline. And as far as I recall, they were all intact for the DVD release.
Eddie Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 06:17 PM   #9
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

This is a definitive article speaking about The X-Files in HD.
The company, which has already created the latest HD versions of "The X-Files," "24," and other series Stateside,
Stateside, illuminate Hollywood has already remastered series for CBS, Fox and Universal, among others. The solution has been used, for example, to create the latest HD versions of The X-Files, 24, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Pee-wees Playhouse. From there these series can go on to find new viewers in the digital space and other yet to be developed outlets.
"Any asset that is valuable needs to be digitized and stored for current and future delivery,"
In launching its 4K conversion solution internationally, illuminate Hollywood, which is privately held, recently hired content rights exec Steve Galloway as senior vp business development. His job: to introduce the iConform technology abroad and to broker distribution deals for independent clients, serving as the conduit in finding new audiences for the enhanced programs.
He told The Hollywood Reporter hed be meeting with some of the key European rights holders the BBC, Beta, TF1, ITV whose rich back catalogs are likely crying out for a dusting off.
any shows from these companies you want in 4k?

MIPCOM: Illuminate Hollywood Touts Its New HD- and 4K-Conversion Technology
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...uts-new-644025

We have heard rumors earlier this year in May on thedigitalbits website:
Speaking of Fox, weve also learned that the post facility HTV is involved in the effort to bring The X-Files TV series to Blu-ray Disc. Which is good in that its further confirmation that The X-Files is coming to Blu-ray (something we first revealed here in The Rumor Mill back in November) but its bad because weve also heard theres some up-conversion going on of original footage (rather than a full HD upgrade and restoration). As it happens, HTV was the company that did the remastering work on CBS Star Trek: The Next Generation Season Two
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
We have heard rumors earlier this year in May on thedigitalbits website:
Speaking of Fox, weve also learned that the post facility HTV is involved in the effort to bring The X-Files TV series to Blu-ray Disc. Which is good in that its further confirmation that The X-Files is coming to Blu-ray (something we first revealed here in The Rumor Mill back in November) but its bad because weve also heard theres some up-conversion going on of original footage (rather than a full HD upgrade and restoration). As it happens, HTV was the company that did the remastering work on CBS Star Trek: The Next Generation Season Two
Given that HTV botched the second season remastering work of The Next Generation so badly that CBS Digital took everything back in-house for the remaining seasons, I wouldn't take that as a positive sign.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Dream
Admiral

I think FOX is concerned that the X-Files won't sell well on Bluray. X-Files might be more popular with casual viewers than Trek, but Trek fans are more willing to buy their Trek shows on video.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 02:09 AM   #12
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

the DVDs all have the correct taglines. they weren't all changed to The Truth Is Out There.
Interesting. I heard differently (never bought the DVD sets myself due to the expense at the time).

The less involvement HTV has with remastering, the better.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Takeru
Fleet Captain

The X-Files is now airing in HD in Germany, looks good so far.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote