RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 463
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 15 2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Starscream2112
Ensign

Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?

I noticed that they have re-mastered Lost in Space and posted a Lost in Space HD Restoration Test to YouTube Here.
Starscream2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 11:43 PM   #2
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?

Wow, pretty big improvement.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 11:47 PM   #3
feek61
Captain

A little dark but looks like a big improvement overall
Old November 16 2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

As long as the full frame nonsense is optional, I'm in!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

feek61 wrote: View Post
That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.

I really do not like that.

The Star Wars films are that same way too.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 12:56 AM   #6
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Could the originals have been done with too much brightness & color so they would show up on 1960's thru 1980's era TV's?

Maybe what we're seeing now is how they were "meant to be", but we're used to the brighter colors and whatnot.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

feek61 wrote: View Post
The remaster may seem darker, but its contrast levels and colour timing are more accurate to the original film stock. And the black and white footage is especially improved in the remaster.

Kelso wrote: View Post
I've looked at this clip several times now and it seems as though the original broadcast aspect ratio was actually a crop of a wider aspect ratio film stock. It certainly isn't a simple zoom or artificial stretching of the original 1.33:1 image. While I prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) for any filmed product, the wider ratio here seems especially well done--to the point of being seamless to anyone who never saw the original.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Harvey
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.
I can't speak to the quality of the Star Wars restorations (let me know when I can replace my copies of the de-specialized versions with legitimate releases), but the remastered episodes of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation don't look any less vibrant than the originals to my eyes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Looked pretty good though "space" looked a little washed out at the end there. Maybe on an uncompressed blu-ray that looks better as it was a little blocky looking as well.

The 1.78 stuff was interesting, it didn't look like they were cropping the image as there was more information on the sides. You still don't have the framing the director may have intended or risk things like microphones or other stuff not meant to be seen but it didn't look like missing image.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 05:56 AM   #10
davejames
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I can't speak to the quality of the Star Wars restorations (let me know when I can replace my copies of the de-specialized versions with legitimate releases), but the remastered episodes of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation don't look any less vibrant than the originals to my eyes.
Agreed. It might look a bit darker in comparison videos, but you don't even notice when you're watching the actual eps.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 04:14 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Well, admittedly, my perception of the TNG Blue Rays comes from TrekCore's screencaps, but you can see how dark the picture is in comparison with the DVD's, particularly season 2 in that case. As for TOS, a comparison of the two DVD sets (the 2004 originals and the 2008 remastered) shows that the 2004 originals is the MUCH brighter picture.

At first, I assumed it was a simple matter of adjusting the color and picture tint on my TV, but that didn't help.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Kelso wrote: View Post
Agree.

I am glad to see it. As long as it is done right.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

that looks really great. guess its a good thing i never got around to getting the series on DVD.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 12:55 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
The 1.78 stuff was interesting, it didn't look like they were cropping the image as there was more information on the sides.
No, it was definitely just zoomed in to crop off the top and bottom. In the first instance, look at the bins on the walls on the far left of the screen. In both the original and the modified footage, they're on the edge of the frame. And less of the overhead light fixture is visible. In the next example, there's clearly less of the top of the frame visible (the rivets around the door are closer to the top edge). There may be a bit more showing to the right of frame -- the background guard at the edge of frame is farther from the edge in the dishonestly labeled "full frame" version -- but that could just be due to a camera move at the point of the change.

This isn't an improvement. It's no better than old-style pan-and-scan, cropping off pieces of the image to fit an arbitrary frame. It's wrong. Something which was made in 1:33 should be shown in 1:33, period. There is no legitimate excuse for deleting portions of the original image.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 01:11 AM   #15
Harvey
Admiral

Yeah, nothing positive comes from cropping the original aspect ratio like that. Thankfully, all of the Blu-Rays I have of 1.33:1 era shows (TOS, TNG, The Twilight Zone, Space: 1999, The Prisoner) kept the OAR (although the Star Trek titles were prepared in cropped versions for certain markets).

I suppose in this case, you might call it "tilt-and-scan?"

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote