New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 15 2013, 12:09 PM   #16
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: PS4 and Xbox One Launch Thread

TheGodBen wrote: View Post

So, is anyone planning to get a console at launch?

I'll get a PS4 next spring when my tax refund arrives and there are some more and diverse games.

At launch i have the choice between 50% shooter games, 25% sports games and the rest is somewhere out there. As i plan to get at least CoD or BF4 (or both) it's not too bad but i'd like some variety and hopefully by spring/summer the games have branched out some more (especially waiting for Destiny).

Additionally i hope most of the start problems will be solved by then so i'll have a stable console from the get go.
Old November 15 2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Just as a point of order, it's not that the PS4 is significantly more powerful (under the hood they're largely identical), but the difference is in the Xbox One's RAM structure, which is more difficult to code for. It's basically this generation's Cell processor.
Sort of, but not really. You're missing the associated consequences of the XBO memory structure. Slow DDR3 vs GDDR5 on PS4 requires them to come up with a solution for more bandwidth. The solution they came up with is the ESRAM. So yes, that's harder to code for, but in the grand scheme of things not a huge difference in isolation.

The problem is that ESRAM takes up a lot of space on the APU die. Space that in PS4 land becomes more GPU resources, which is where the real ~50% advantage comes in. Even if you master coding for ESRAM (which from the sounds of it is kind of impossible at the moment thanks to the state of Microsoft's dev tools), you're still way behind in performance. Granted I'm sure there's some diminishing returns in play here, but it's still a significant difference in raw GPU stats.

At least with Cell, if you mastered farming out work to all the SPUs you could come up with really impressive results. But the highly similar architectures between PS4 and XBO just make that sort of thing less plausible. They're an apples to apples comparison, and one just has shittier apples.

Anyway, got my PS4 in a day early (won from the Taco Bell contest, Live Mas, Think Outside the Bun, and have yourself a delicous Cheesy Gordita Crunch or two). It's not without its problems so far. Froze up once while downloading a game update. Completely lost power another time while transitioning from gameplay to a cut-scene in Knack.

Someone said that the UI is good? Ehh, not really. I mean it's better than what they had on the PS3 but... it still gets crusty at times, it's not very intuitive. Though the limited voice commands work OK. There is absolutely a ton of room here for all the Xbox One Kinect shit to blow people away. Which is kind of the only hope, since they don't have a chance of competing in raw horsepower, having yielded an advantage they've had since the launch of the original Xbox...

Let's see... games... Knack is kind of fun. It looks pretty good, but not an OMG next gen transition. So far I think the reviews have been a little harsh... I don't know, I got it for free, I'm not really the target audience, but if I were 10 years old I'd probably be blown away.

Resogun is fun, but not completely intuitive. Why am I losing humans? I get that I'm supposed to hunt down 'the keepers' or something when they are announced, but I'm not sure what they are, there doesn't seem to be a timer... ehhh... I'm just confused. Fun game though.

Contrast didn't hook me right away. Haven't given it much of a chance. Frame rate really hurting on this game, and it doesn't even look that amazing. Leaning towards declaring this one an Indie Turd.

Tomorrow I'll have some of the big guns, BF4, COD: Ghosts, and Killzone.

Oh and let's see... the controller. Much nicer than Dual Shock 3... but it seems to have on fatal flaw. While there is a nice lip on the sticks for traction, the middle of the stick is still humped, and I am sliding off the controller way too much. It's too bad, the material all feels great, the new shape is tons more comfortable.. the buttons feel great, the triggers are pretty decent now... they just needed to copy the shape that the 360 sticks used. I'd say even the Wii U sticks end up with better traction even though they are concave and not very grippy material.
Old November 15 2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

RevdKathy is buying me a PS4 for Christmas, so I know I have one but won't be able to touch it until Christmas Day. I'll have to keep an eye out for any games I want between now and then. I think Assassin's Creed, Knack and the PS+ games should do for starters.
Old November 15 2013, 02:05 PM   #19
BigFoot
Admiral

I'll get a PS4 as soon I can get my hands on one over. While the EU release is November 29th, they haven't announced an official release for Slovenia yet (everyone is saying 2014).

A few local stores might import them though, so I'm hoping I can get one that way. I also pre-ordered it from Amazon Germany, so if all else fails I'm hoping I can get it from them reasonably quickly.

I haven't purchased any PS3 games that also got a PS4 release (Assassin's Creed 4 and Battlefield 4) so I'm itching to play them.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Seven of Five
Commodore

My boyfriend is getting a PS4 some time between it's actual release date and Christmas, via Amazon. He likes playing with new consoles, but I wouldn't have bothered myself. There is a limited release of expensive games, there will be issues to iron out, and the price of the consoles will come down too.

I guess in 12-18 months I'll see if I really feel like getting an Xbox One, as I currently have a 360. I don't like the idea of forcibly having to pay extra to have Kinect, especially as I wouldn't use it.
Old November 15 2013, 03:48 PM   #21
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Just as a point of order, it's not that the PS4 is significantly more powerful (under the hood they're largely identical), but the difference is in the Xbox One's RAM structure, which is more difficult to code for. It's basically this generation's Cell processor.
On top of what Yoda said, the Xbox One OS and Kinect are using more system resources than the PS4 OS, which is another factor. That gives the Xbox One all the features that will help them appeal to a wider audience, but the bulkier OS, slightly weaker system specs, and the eSRAM issues has led to a sizeable gap between the consoles at launch. With time, that gap will probably narrow.

But multi-platform games looking a little better on PS4 wont mean much if Xbox One has the better exclusive games, and at launch it certainly looks that way.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The next PS game I'm interested in playing is the new Infamous game, which I don't think comes out until February. That's the earliest I will probably pick up the PS4.
Same with me, Infamous Second Son is the only next-gen exclusive that I'm tempted by so far, so I'll be waiting until at least March before I consider buying a new console. If that game gets really good reviews, and the console doesn't suffer from an unusually high hardware failure rate, I may jump on board then. Otherwise, I'll probably hold out until next year.
Old November 15 2013, 04:02 PM   #22
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
My boyfriend is getting a PS4 some time between it's actual release date and Christmas, via Amazon. He likes playing with new consoles, but I wouldn't have bothered myself. There is a limited release of expensive games, there will be issues to iron out, and the price of the consoles will come down too.

I guess in 12-18 months I'll see if I really feel like getting an Xbox One, as I currently have a 360. I don't like the idea of forcibly having to pay extra to have Kinect, especially as I wouldn't use it.
Just out of curiosity.. why then stay with XBox if you are forced to pay for a device you don't want and probably won't be using much?

From all acounts it seems the PS4 is more powerful graphics wise while the XOne seems to be the better media machine.

Just wanted to know your decision process.
Old November 15 2013, 06:59 PM   #23
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

^^ Not to mention the $100 difference in price!
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:05 PM   #24
Seven of Five
Commodore

It's more of an outside chance really. I can't see why I'd need an Xbox One if my partner has a PS4. I think if there were exclusive games on it and a hefty price drop, then I'd be interested. I think because I have a 360 now I'm just curious.
Old November 17 2013, 02:48 PM   #25
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

PS4 sold 1 million units in the first 24 hours, making it the best-selling console launch in history. Incredible numbers considering it only launched in North America, and the US was an Xbox 360 stronghold last gen. (In contrast, the PS3 only sold 200,000 units in its first two weeks on sale in the US.)
Old November 17 2013, 03:03 PM   #26
PKerr
Rear Admiral

It's being reported that the PS4 sold over 1 million units day one.

http://wololo.net/2013/11/17/with-1-...-of-all-times/
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 05:22 PM   #27
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
PS4 sold 1 million units in the first 24 hours, making it the best-selling console launch in history. Incredible numbers considering it only launched in North America, and the US was an Xbox 360 stronghold last gen. (In contrast, the PS3 only sold 200,000 units in its first two weeks on sale in the US.)
Nearly every poll i saw about what console people will get the XOne lost, sometimes very badly.

I am now really curious to see the numbers post Christmas.
Old November 17 2013, 07:26 PM   #28
Shanndee
Commodore

Hubby picked up his PS4 on Friday. He loves it. It took very little time to set up, the 1.5 patch took no time to download and it took mere moments to load Kill Zone. The machine is very quiet and not over heating (and he is playing for long periods of time )

I find the quality of the graphics amazing. Blu-rays are beautiful. The picture is far more clear and sharp than our old system. The colours are stunning.

The controller is very user friendly. I am not a video game girl, but I may even be tempted to play now that I have a controller that doesn't intimidate me!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Hurry up UK launch need my PS4.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 01:54 AM   #30
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Oh damn! I know Gamestop holds pre orders for 7 days. I'll just show up on Thursday and see if someone's credit card is denied. Cross your fingers for me.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote