Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 13 2013, 11:14 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Did the Tribbles actually die out by the 24th Century?

Shatner's toupee?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Come to think of it: Would there not have been some kind of indigenous predator on the Tribbles' homeworld?

IIRC we only have high animal birthrates where smaller birthrates would endanger a species.

So what happened to all the Tribbles on their indigenous homeworld after they had eaten everything there? Did they turn into cannibals?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:31 PM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Cannibbles!
Old November 14 2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Pavonis
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Come to think of it: Would there not have been some kind of indigenous predator on the Tribbles' homeworld?

Bob
Probably every predator ate tribbles. They may have been the base of the food chain, at least on land, on their homeworld.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:15 AM   #20
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Lance wrote: View Post
We know the replicators have restrictions on what they can and can't actually produce, but perhaps sterile replicated Tribbles are considered safe.
So replicators can replicate living creatures? That should make every parent think twice about letting a kid use the replicator, especially if they've expressed a wish to get a puppy or a pony...

teacake wrote: View Post
But there must be some means of population control, especially as humans won't want to be killing excess tribbles every single day as a drudgery of pet care.
It's called spay/neuter. But you have to be very fast about it, since according to McCoy, they're born pregnant.

MikeS wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Cyrano Jones was selling them across the galaxy...
Which is odd, because you'd assume that something that was so easily reproduced would hold little or no value.
I saw a news story yesterday about a dog that had 19 puppies. Three puppies died soon after birth, 5 were stillborn, and 11 survived. The owners plan to sell the puppies for $1700 apiece.

Kirby wrote: View Post
Was anyone else disturbed by Scotty's final solution in Trouble With Tribbles? Yes, the were a danger to the Enterprise, but to just beam them to the Klingon ship where they probably would be killed in a violent manner as opposed to something which could be done more 'humanely' on the Enterprise. And then they all got a good laugh out of it...
If Uhura could laugh at the loss of her pet, I wouldn't be trusting her with any other kind of pet...

(Actually, I'm a bit surprised that pets would have been allowed on the ship in the first place; I wonder if tribbles shed?)

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Would you have had an issue if tribbles looked more like the rats they are? Tribbles are vermin.
Rats are vermin. I shudder every time I hear of anyone keeping one of those revolting things as a pet.

Of course there would have been. Unless a wild animal would be affected by the tribbles' trilling sounds, the tribble wouldn't stand a chance against becoming lunch. That's why they bred so prolifically - evolution at work.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Of course there would have been. Unless a wild animal would be affected by the tribbles' trilling sounds, the tribble wouldn't stand a chance against becoming lunch. That's why they bred so prolifically - evolution at work.
Of course? Then there would have been no need for that line / premise from the TAS Episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles":

KOLOTH: Kirk, Cyrano Jones took a Klingon genetic construct, an artificial creature [the glommer] from one of our planets. We must have it back. It was designed to be a tribble predator. We are prepared to go to war if we have to.

In the context of the bigger TOS universe (including TAS) the Tribbles had no natural enemies (or did they ate their indigenous predators, too).
Unless the indigenous predators equally made that purring sound (to attract Tribbles) and therefore the Klingons just never could get close enough to capture one of these...

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; November 14 2013 at 02:24 PM.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 02:32 PM   #22
Lance
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
We know the replicators have restrictions on what they can and can't actually produce, but perhaps sterile replicated Tribbles are considered safe.
So replicators can replicate living creatures?
That would be one of the restrictions I was talking about.

I know this has been covered by Sternbach/Okuda etc as being impossible, but if you can indulge me in floating off on a thought bubble for just a minute.....
..... maybe the creation of living creatures isn't actually technically impossible for the replicator.....?

Perhaps those 'restrictions' I mention are merely moral ones. The 'commercial level' version of the technology (the ones that we see bundled with Starships) are hard-wired to deny the creation of sentient life because of those moral questions, but maybe the earlier, prototype replicators that were developed during R&D were much more powerful than that.....

I mean, the replicator is shown to be a very sophisticated piece of tech...... but we know little more than a bare minimum about what it can or can't practically do. I can't help but wonder if it is, in actual fact, theoretically more powerful than is ever actually shown on screen.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 02:48 PM   #23
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Cyrano Jones was selling them across the galaxy...
Which is odd, because you'd assume that something that was so easily reproduced would hold little or no value.
The tribbles could be similar to the Budgerigar (what most people call a Parakeet). Budgerigars (aka Budgies, parakeets) are a small parrot native to the grasslands of Australia. When conditions are good they reproduce quickly and in vast numbers. They are very social animals and the vast numbers protects the flock from predators. When conditions are bad the stop reproducing. This quick reproduction cycle makes them an easy animal for domestic breeding (where conditions are controlled).

Actually, the Budgerigar may be commonly known as a parakeet, but it is only one type of parakeet. There are many different types and they are all parrots. I did the research on them before purchasing the lovely blue one currently chirping away happily on my shoulder.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old November 14 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Timewalker

Of course? Then there would have been no need for that line / premise from the TAS Episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles":

KOLOTH: Kirk, Cyrano Jones took a Klingon genetic construct, an artificial creature [the glommer] from one of our planets. We must have it back. It was designed to be a tribble predator. We are prepared to go to war if we have to.

In the context of the bigger TOS universe (including TAS) the Tribbles had no natural enemies (or did they ate their indigenous predators, too).
Unless the indigenous predators equally made that purring sound (to attract Tribbles) and therefore the Klingons just never could get close enough to capture one of these...

Bob
Okay, I will concede the possibility that the tribbles' natural predators may have been killed off by other predators or a virus or some other natural disaster that caused extinction, leaving the tribbles to breed. But in that case, the tribbles would have literally eaten themselves out of the proverbial house and home and starvation would have set in. Nature regulates these things, and Nature doesn't actually care which species lives and dies. But once you add humans/humanoids into the equation, anything can happen.

Old November 15 2013, 06:02 AM   #25
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

I thought that line was "Add dinosaurs into the mix, there's no telling what could happen."
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 06:06 AM   #26
Timewalker

Huh?

Old November 17 2013, 03:13 AM   #27
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Didn't they cover the whole predator issue in the episode itself? From chakoteya.net:

The Trouble with Tribbles wrote:
JONES: Captain Kirk, I'm mystified at your tone of voice. I've done nothing to warrant such severe treatment.
KIRK: Oh, really?
SPOCK: Surely you must have realised what would happen if you removed the tribbles from their predator-filled environment into an environment where their natural multiplicative proclivities would have no restraining factors.
JONES: Of course. What did you say?
SPOCK: By removing the tribbles from their natural habitat, you have, so to speak, removed the cork from the bottle and allowed the genie to escape.
JONES: If by that, you mean do they breed quickly? Of course, that's how I maintain my stock. Breeding animals is not against regulations, only breeding dangerous ones. And tribbles are not dangerous.
KIRK: Just incredibly prolific.
JONES: Precisely, and at six credits a head, well, that is, a body, it mounts up. Now if you'll excuse me.
Just because the Klingons genetically engineered a tribble predator, doesn't mean there were no naturally-occurring tribble predators.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 08:13 PM   #28
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Huh?
Just a little levity, based on the last line in your quote directly above mine.
Old November 17 2013, 09:01 PM   #29
Timewalker

I just didn't get the dinosaur reference.

Old November 18 2013, 04:51 AM   #30
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Jurassic Park.