RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 791
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 14 2013, 09:03 PM   #151
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: The Night Of The Doctor

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann, McGann!!! Please?

Sadly that didn't happen

Old November 14 2013, 09:08 PM   #152
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

This helps retcon the ever-changing age of the Doctor in the new series, too. The War certainly screwed a lot of continuity right up, and now he's left counting or not counting the years he spent IN it.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:08 PM   #153
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Longer.

Look at the reflection.

Somehow they cast a 20 year old John Hurt for this webisode.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:12 PM   #154
Green Lantern
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
YES!!!! I knew it could be true! McGann!!!!
That's it? That's all we get? I'm disappointed in you. I expected we'd need to be peeling you off the Forum Walls from your excitement
I thought that if this would happen, I'd too need peeling off the forum walls from excitement. But I was just left speechless. Plus I was running low on time before dinner. . Okay, here's it done properly:

MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN, MCGANN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has definitely made my day, fantastic! I think McGann's costume is a great mix of the 96 version and more modern versions. He has a more Troughton trampish style to his costume now; he seems to have retained his wonder and adventure in the universe! A series possibly of mini episodes would have been great, but I'm more than satisfied with this! Moffat has actually exceeded my expectations for a change, I had a nasty feeling it could have just been a boring episode with John Hurt talking about the time war in minimal detail or something, but giving McGann a regeneration and and actual explanation behind the cause of regeneration and a clue to why there's this new doctor we never knew about was just fantastic! I'm definitely a happy bunny!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More to come soon.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:29 PM   #155
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

^Now that's more like it

Oh, and I just realized, I still haven't said Happy 54th Birthday Paul, so, glad you (and we) were given this present

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:33 PM   #156
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

After downloading & watching at home, with proper speakers, it does seem like a real regeneration, rather than some temporary option.

Why would he be dead from a crash anyway? How would that defeat his regeneration ability?

I'm as much in awe that they kept this under their collective hats for however long they did. I'm a spoiler whore, but this takes me back to the 70's & 80's when we had to wait to find things out.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:41 PM   #157
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
After downloading & watching at home, with proper speakers, it does seem like a real regeneration, rather than some temporary option.

Why would he be dead from a crash anyway? How would that defeat his regeneration ability?

I'm as much in awe that they kept this under their collective hats for however long they did. I'm a spoiler whore, but this takes me back to the 70's & 80's when we had to wait to find things out.
Yea, I'm really glad it came as a surprise that it was actually true. I don't like too many Spoilers, but, damn it, you put it down in front of me, I'll almost certainly lap it up

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 09:43 PM   #158
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I don't think a crash necessarily would defeat his regeneration ability, but it's clear that you aren't guaranteed to regenerate. Getting shot mid-regeneration, apparently, could stop it, for example.

Being dead from a crash is pretty straight forward, though. The Doctor died from a relatively mediocre fall before, so he almost certainly would die from a crash from space.
Old November 14 2013, 09:49 PM   #159
ParticleMan
Fleet Captain

I would think that the trauma of the really violent crash could have killed him too fast for him to regenerate...Turn Left sets a precedent for the Doctor being killed too quickly for the process to start.
Old November 14 2013, 10:01 PM   #160
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Hmm I just popped in Brain of Morbius, McGann narrates a 30 minute documentary about the story. Synchronicity.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:10 PM   #161
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I was always slightly confused by the Third Doctor's death; mostly that he appeared to actually "die", until K'Anpo kick starts his regeneration for him. The thing is he had plenty of time to do this himself before the end.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:32 PM   #162
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I don't think a crash necessarily would defeat his regeneration ability, but it's clear that you aren't guaranteed to regenerate. Getting shot mid-regeneration, apparently, could stop it, for example.

Being dead from a crash is pretty straight forward, though. The Doctor died from a relatively mediocre fall before, so he almost certainly would die from a crash from space.
But for a Timelord, dying & not regenerating are pretty different things. It seems most things that would kill us would kill h the Doctor.

A throw-away line about something during the crash negating the regeneration would have been nice.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:52 PM   #163
MacLeod
Admiral

On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:53 PM   #164
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

OMFG! I was screaming like a fraking idiot.

Loved it!

How in the name off all thats apparently holy, did Moff and the BBC keep this under their hats. Seriously, i love Moff for this.

Since 1996 when i watched the movie air, i was only 12 btw, i have loved McGanns doctor. Fair play, his material he had for it was limited, but he put on a decent doctor and ballanced the mad with the emotion and drama perfectly.

When he appeared again, in an 'apparent' regen ep, which i am not taking as gospel just yet, i was so so sooooooooo excited. I still cannot believe what i saw earlier.

I knew we were getting A doctor, but never did i imagine McGann. He has denied it on so many occasions. This was truly a surprise and for that, Moff, i salute you.

Loved the John Hurt facelift. Nice touch.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:56 PM   #165
Romulan_spy
Commodore

ParticleMan wrote: View Post
I would think that the trauma of the really violent crash could have killed him too fast for him to regenerate...Turn Left sets a precedent for the Doctor being killed too quickly for the process to start.
That is my take as well. A timelord has to have time to consciously initiate the regeneration process. So, if the death is instantly, then the timelord cannot regenerate and truly dies. The crash certainly seemed pretty violent to me. So, it would make sense to me that the doctor would have been instantly killed on impact and hence no regeneration which is why the sisters of karn intervened.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote