Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 12 2013, 04:28 PM   #16
billcosby
Commodore

Re: PStewart confirms there was a Star Trek 'Avengers' script post Nem

It would be pretty easy to whip up a CGI Data circa TNG anyseason or whenever.
I wouldn't want to look at one, but... I can't imagine it would be impossible as other posters have stated above.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 04:40 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Heck, if the rumored JJ:TNG reboot is around the corner, this is exactly how it would be created.
Such a rumor is likely only by fans.

As far as a Trek movie featuring everyone, though, I'm more inclined that it wouldn't, but could feature a character or two from each Trek series even if some appear only as little more than as a cameo.
Old November 13 2013, 02:10 AM   #18
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Thank God John Logan never touched Trek again.
Old November 13 2013, 02:26 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Sran wrote: View Post

In any case, I think a large group could carry a film if there were at least one big-name star (like Stewart) to round out the cast, plus a guest-star who's also a big name. Ian McKellen's always been a great foil for Stewart as Magneto. I wonder if he'd do Star Trek if asked. I think he'd be a great Romulan, Vulcan, or Cardassian character.
But then you're back to all those characters being in the background while the star and guest star got the majority of the story and lines. You're back to the Shatner/Nimoy and Stewart/Spiner dynamic. A "big two" and scraps for the rest. I think the best thing that could happen to Star Trek would be to develop a dedicated movie crew with characters who could be moved in and out as the story dictated.

I always thought the "Justice League of Trek" concept being kicked around was a horrible idea for a feature film.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Thank God John Logan never touched Trek again.
I don't know. I blame the last two TNG films on Stewart and Spiner far more than anyone else.
Old November 13 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Trek movies already have a rough time fitting all the characters in and giving them meaningful things to do. Spam a movie with all the crews they can afford? It'll be the Picard/Janeway movie with a little Archer and Riker thrown in, and a shedload of uniformed background people squeezing in a catchphrase or two.

Hey, if X-Men: Days of Future's Past turns out to be the biggest thing EVAH, someone at Paramount might want Trek to do something similar with the surviving TOS crew and their young incarnations... but I seriously doubt it.
Old November 14 2013, 04:02 AM   #21
billcosby
Commodore

^^ Why not? Star Wars has already jumped on the Marvel Cinematic Universe bandwagon. Perhaps it's only just begun.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 06:48 PM   #22
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
In theory they could do anything with the help of animation. It could even be set pre-Nemesis and actually incorporate Data in the cast too, because Spiner's concerns about being 'too old' to play an ageless android would be very easy to fix in animation. He would just have to sound young.
And they could modify the voices easily enough, so that's really not a big deal either. I think an animated series would do well. As long as the plots were serious enough, adult fans would watch it, and younger fans who've seen the Abrams films might buy in, too. Because it would theoretically involve only prime universe characters, some sort of explanation would have to be offered to fans who may be confused by seeing much older versions of the TOS characters (if any of them were to appear).

Having a huge crossover event would be much easier via the animated route. If the movie/TV pilot did well, it could easily lay the groundwork for another series down the line. Otherwise, the only way I could see a new TV series getting off the ground would be to feature an entirely new cast and group of characters. I don't know how well such a series would do outside of hardcore fans, however.

--Sran
I think these are good points. to follow up, these days animation that skews older is still a niche market, but one important difference from the 70s, when ST: TAS was around, is that it's a much more profitable niche market than it was 40 years ago. Can it appeal to non-hardcore fans? Maybe, if the powers that be play their cards right, but the overall nerd culture (Trek and otherwise) has a lot more disposable income now than ever before.
Old November 14 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Michael Dorn was wanting to move on after Nemesis but has recently said he'd be up for a TV series (hence the Captain Worf discussions that have popped up here).
He says that now, but he was once also quoted as saying he never wanted to put that Klingon head on again after "Nemesis". At a convention he explained that decades of wearing it meant the glue had permanently damaged the skin around his temples.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 10:38 PM   #24
Sran
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
He says that now, but he was once also quoted as saying he never wanted to put that Klingon head on again after "Nemesis". At a convention he explained that decades of wearing it meant the glue had permanently damaged the skin around his temples.
All the more reason to have an animated series. An animated Worf voiced by Dorn wouldn't need glue to keep a prosthesis in place.

--Sran
Old November 16 2013, 06:57 PM   #25
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

An animated series crossover would be something I'd love to see...
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2013, 06:59 PM   #26
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
An animated series crossover would be something I'd love to see...
About the only way it could happen today.
Old November 20 2013, 07:48 PM   #27
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ FWIW, I've only read the Starnerverse Mirror Universe trilogy novels and Ship of the Line books, so maybe this happens everywhere in Treklit, but the former books did an excellent job at bringing in characters from all the pre-ENT series (even the Andy Dick Mark II EMH and some Mirror Voyager crew members) together.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 03:19 AM   #28
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
But would Riker, Troi, Bashir, Nog, Dax, Admiral Janeway and the B-4 be able to carry a motion picture feature?
There are others who've said they'd be willing to do more Star Trek and may have been in the picture. IIRC, Nana Visitor has said that she greatly enjoyed working on DS9 and would've been interested in a movie. Michael Dorn was wanting to move on after Nemesis but has recently said he'd be up for a TV series (hence the Captain Worf discussions that have popped up here). Stephen Collins has also said he'd be interested if there were a way to incorporate some of the TOS cast into a film. I won't talk about George Takei, who likely still believes a Captain Sulu TV series is a good idea.

Given how significantly most of these people have aged, I wonder if an animated film or TV series would be a better idea if someone decided to pursue this project. I've no interest in seeing Frakes strut around with his huge beer-gut, but I'd be okay with him voicing an animated Riker.

In any case, I think a large group could carry a film if there were at least one big-name star (like Stewart) to round out the cast, plus a guest-star who's also a big name. Ian McKellen's always been a great foil for Stewart as Magneto. I wonder if he'd do Star Trek if asked. I think he'd be a great Romulan, Vulcan, or Cardassian character.

--Sran
Given how significantly most of these people have aged, I wonder if an animated film or TV series would be a better idea if someone decided to pursue this project. I've no interest in seeing Frakes strut around with his huge beer-gut, but I'd be okay with him voicing an animated Riker.
^ This.

In theory they could do anything with the help of animation. It could even be set pre-Nemesis and actually incorporate Data in the cast too, because Spiner's concerns about being 'too old' to play an ageless android would be very easy to fix in animation. He would just have to sound young.
And they could modify the voices easily enough, so that's really not a big deal either. I think an animated series would do well. As long as the plots were serious enough, adult fans would watch it, and younger fans who've seen the Abrams films might buy in, too. Because it would theoretically involve only prime universe characters, some sort of explanation would have to be offered to fans who may be confused by seeing much older versions of the TOS characters (if any of them were to appear).

Having a huge crossover event would be much easier via the animated route. If the movie/TV pilot did well, it could easily lay the groundwork for another series down the line. Otherwise, the only way I could see a new TV series getting off the ground would be to feature an entirely new cast and group of characters. I don't know how well such a series would do outside of hardcore fans, however.

--Sran
Count me in for this idea, but I think that it would have to be done as a set of direct-to-video movies similar to the ones done by Marvel & DC Comics, and done in the same way as those movies as well (CGI could be done, but my gut fear is that they will be done as Pixar-style movies that would defeat any serious ambitions in the plots of any of them.) Best for them to be done as cel/pen & ink instead.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; December 19 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 04:43 AM   #29
E-DUB
Captain

It would have been .........glorious!
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2013, 09:37 PM   #30
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I don't think it would've been particularly hard to plot. Set in the late 24th Century. A composite crew of 7 or 8 brought together from TNG/DS9/VOY. Admiral Picard tasked with getting whoever in Starfleet is available, suitable to the mission, and fill the positions available. Mix it up, without any requirement for it to be any single entire series cast. Parachute in those who've no experience with each other and make them work together. O'Brien never appeared on the big screen, so I'd take him away from teaching to handle Engineering. Seven, now a Science Officer, probably. Flip a coin for Security. Tuvok gets it. Worf shows up Captaining a Klingon ship instead. Data was toast, but nothing preventing a brief B-4 appearance.

Assemble them onboard the Enterprise-E. Cameos for those outside that core of characters thrown together, as long as they drive the story forward. A stopover at Deep Space Nine to pick up a dignitaries. So the station appears, if not whoever's there now. Spock still on Romulus, trying to prevent new hostilities posed by a current crisis. There's a flashback to something the cast of ENT caused. Historic records found, the antagonists are hoping will split the Federation apart. Probably faked evidence, refuted by an eye-witness. Have a 200 year old Shran who show up at the story's climax.

As I say, not hard to plot a story that takes in different iterations of Star Trek and be plausible. Getting anybody who isn't already familiar with this universe to care, somewhat harder... Easier a decade ago, when it was still a going concern on TV. Turned it into a special to celebrate the 40th Anniversary. Nemesis' poor reception put pay to such a thing happening at the cinema.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; December 22 2013 at 10:39 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote