Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 26 2013, 05:56 AM   #796
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

kennysmith wrote: View Post
i want some one to draw out the out line for me and send it to me for my model i am geting ready to do by nov-2013, i am geting ready to do this by each deck as some people know and look like, but i will be changeing it so any one can do it any where. it is 55' long x 25' wide x 25' tall?
Sounds like a fun project - follows the links to Casimiro or Sinclair as both have multiple views which sound like exactly what you need. They are high resolution and can easily be scaled up for your needs.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2013, 06:41 AM   #797
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran - Thanks!

@kennysmith - I'd encourage you to start your own thread about your project. I'm sure there will be folks interested in what you're planning to do.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 07:56 AM   #798
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

what will this do for me if i do that or this?, what area should i go to?, and will you help me in this subject?.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
@Mytran - Thanks!

@kennysmith - I'd encourage you to start your own thread about your project. I'm sure there will be folks interested in what you're planning to do.
kennysmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 02:01 PM   #799
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Kennysmith - Create a New Thread in this subform, "Fan Art". Title it to what you're trying to do or the project name and in the first post explain what you're trying to get at. As Mytran has given you links to those resources, you can download the high resolution drawings and use those as your starting points. If you need graphic software, there are several good free or low cost resources such as Adobe Photoshop via Creative Cloud subscription, GIMP, etc. That's about all I can add about it in this thread but look forward to seeing your own thread.
Old October 7 2013, 03:08 AM   #800
trekkist
Lieutenant

A thought in re: the low shuttle seats -- since some shots through the doorway of the exterior prop showed the seats, setting them low would provide a visual "sell" of the interior's being high enough to stand up in (even though it wasn't). On the same basis, it's my belief we can disregard Kirk's "24 foot" reference, which (though oddly enough greater than the exterior's actual length) wouldn't set a viewer to saying (of the exterior prop) "Hey! That thing's not 30 feet long!"
trekkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 03:03 PM   #801
Mytran
Fleet Captain

A cross-thread thought has occurred. I've been making frequent mention of your Enterprise refit length of 1,164' over in the "Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model" thread. Praetor's studies of the window spacings have borne out the deck heights of the TMP-E to be 9.5' in the saucer and 12' in the secondary hull, which seems pretty much what Probert intended with his ship length of 1,000'.

However, with a ship length of 1,164' then these deck heights change to 11' and 14' respectively. Obviously the cargo bay set has the classic 12' deck divisions, but did you ever get as far as wondering how 12' decks would relate to 14' window spacings?
Old November 12 2013, 03:11 PM   #802
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran - I'd have to check the window spacings but the way I had looked at it a while back was that the window spacings were somewhat independent of the deck height since Probert's internal design had the internal cargo bay deck a little lower than the entry port.

I'll try and work something up for comparison in the next couple of days.
Old November 13 2013, 06:30 PM   #803
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran - Found an older image but I think this is relevant.

The image below is scaled at 355m for the TMP Enterprise but I think my comments are applicable for the 305m as well.

The two points of interest are the torpedo and engineering hull airlocks. The torpedo airlock is on the same level as the torpedo room deck which would put those windows next to it at "hip level". The engineering hull airlock however is above the cargo deck and necessitates a down ramp. That would put the windows at head level.

I believe because the windows aren't consistently applied relative to fixed airlocks that in the case of the engineering hull they can be independent of the deck height. On some upper decks the windows could be head height while the lower decks could be closer to leg height. So to me the internal decks of 12' still works at 355m because I'm not seeing a direct correlation of windows to deck height location, if you know what I mean.

Note: The 305m ship with 12' decks there is some "float" of the windows. The 3 forward-most windows on the deck above the engineering airlock deck are higher on the deck (like 10' up) while the other windows on the other decks are at head level (6').

Old November 13 2013, 10:31 PM   #804
B.J.
Rear Admiral

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
The two points of interest are the torpedo and engineering hull airlocks. The torpedo airlock is on the same level as the torpedo room deck which would put those windows next to it at "hip level".
At least for the torpedo deck, there's this screencap:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...twokhd0247.jpg

You can obviously see the person poking their head in the window. The window level is not an issue if you assume that the windows are designed at a height for someone that's sitting at a monitoring station, which this person is likely doing.
Old November 13 2013, 10:49 PM   #805
blssdwlf
Commodore

Yes, but why is the window height different between the torpedo airlock and the engineering airlock? One is at hip level (or sitting level) while the other is at standing level. If the internal height from the deck to the window can be different despite a nearly identical external appearance then I would be hard pressed to argue that an internal arrangement can be derived from the external windows...
Old November 14 2013, 12:43 AM   #806
blssdwlf
Commodore

Here's the comparison image between 305m and 355m TMP Enterprises. For the 305m Enterprise, we can say there is a deck where the windows are but we can't say where it is as far as internal arrangement goes as windows can range from 3' to over 6' off the deck. Because of this, for my 355m version, the windows are independent of the decks.

Click image to enlarge.
Old November 14 2013, 08:19 AM   #807
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Blssdwlf, yes that is pretty much what I had been thinking as well. Nice diagram though, thanks! It's a shame that Drexfiles has gone down, I never got around to saving the hi-res images of the TMP cgi model. Aside from http://archive.is/46Qg, which only has the low-res images, does anyone know where I could get hold of the hi-res versions?

Incidentally, a lot of the larger images I find on the internet have the airlock positioned way too high which is just wierd - anyone watching the film could tell that the dock needs to be more or less level with the shuttlebay!

An additional point your diagram has highlighted, with regard to potentially moving the Recreation Deck to below the Cargo Deck - it certainly could not go between the windows, as that spot it now taken up by the engine core! Ah well, maybe further back?

B.J. wrote: View Post
At least for the torpedo deck, there's this screencap:
That piece of footage was actually reused from TMP, and as such bears NO resemblance to the torpedo deck exterior! As a matter of fact, it's not a perfect match for the Engineering Hull either, as the windows are too close to the airlock compared to the full scale model. Time for some more shutter-able windows maybe?
Old November 14 2013, 12:45 PM   #808
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
An additional point your diagram has highlighted, with regard to potentially moving the Recreation Deck to below the Cargo Deck - it certainly could not go between the windows, as that spot it now taken up by the engine core! Ah well, maybe further back?
The major reason for displacing the intermix shaft towards the stern is obviously the blue corridor apparently near the bow in TMP (Andrew Probert hated it because it contradicted the cross-section drawing he did and which Kimble used for the cutaway poster).

But starting near the engine room control console I counted what look like 13 horizontal shaft elements. Assuming elements have the same length / width how long would the horizontal shaft become before it splits to feed the nacelles?!?

If that would relocate the shaft where Probert envisioned it to be, I'd rather go with that and pretend it's a viewscreen instead (showing a blue corridor) - especially since it apparently doesn't exist anymore by the time of ST II.

That piece of footage was actually reused from TMP, and as such bears NO resemblance to the torpedo deck exterior! As a matter of fact, it's not a perfect match for the Engineering Hull either, as the windows are too close to the airlock compared to the full scale model. Time for some more shutter-able windows maybe?
The exterior number "5" indicates Docking Port 5 and that's the number we see overhead in the interior in TMP. However, I find myself unable to explain this:

TANNOY VOICE: Cargo bay to launch crew. Travel pod is now available at dock six. (?!?!?)

Some more shutter-able windows [TOS style], no doubt.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 01:07 PM   #809
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The major reason for displacing the intermix shaft towards the stern is obviously the blue corridor apparently near the bow in TMP (Andrew Probert hated it because it contradicted the cross-section drawing he did and which Kimble used for the cutaway poster).
Yes, I realised that, but it's not really a problem as the Rec Deck has plenty of space to slot in under the cargo bay.
The way the engineering set was built though, there would NEVER have been sufficient room to align it to Probert's original cutaway - even without the "long corridor" painted backdrop, the short corridor would still poke out of the front of the ship.

The exterior number "5" indicates Docking Port 5 and that's the number we see overhead in the interior in TMP. However, I find myself unable to explain this:

TANNOY VOICE: Cargo bay to launch crew. Travel pod is now available at dock six. (?!?!?)
A similarly timed arrival on the opposite side of the ship, maybe?
Old November 14 2013, 02:03 PM   #810
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The way the engineering set was built though, there would NEVER have been sufficient room to align it to Probert's original cutaway - even without the "long corridor" painted backdrop, the short corridor would still poke out of the front of the ship.
If there were a viewscreen it would already include the short corridor. But I realize that the shaft for any turbo lift would remain a major riddle to solve (even in blssdwlf's alternate proposal, the turboshaft would still run through the blue corridor, I'm afraid).

A similarly timed arrival on the opposite side of the ship, maybe?
This brings back memories of a discussion I had many years ago with Shane Johnson.

Obviously, the docking port behind the bridge is DP 3.

I'd assume that we do not have the interior volume to have two parallel torpedo bays but only one, thus the numbers there indicate the docking port "at the torpedo bay", i.e. torpedo bay [docking port] 1 (starboard) and 2 (port).

With the one on the port side of the engineering hull being DP 5 (TMP), I believe the one on the starboard side would be DP 4.

This would probably leave DP 6 to be one of the airlock and docking ports at the saucer's underside. Of course, it couldn't dock anything bigger than a travel pod.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote