MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 13 2013, 09:04 PM   #46
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: Hit a dog on hwy...

CaptainJack wrote: View Post
Its almost like Progressive (my auto insurance) doesnt want me to do anything. Just go away and keep the damages.
They sound like the typical business. We can get lost as long as we keep sending the money.
Old November 13 2013, 09:14 PM   #47
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I have Progressive Insurance and they said that I have to pay the deductible on the damages and that it would go as a claim on my insurance and then after the work is done, then they would send the lady the bill and hopefully she would decide to pay it.
That doesnt sound right. Its almost like Progressive (my auto insurance) doesnt want me to do anything. Just go away and keep the damages.
And why should I have to file it as ANY type of claim on MY insurance. It should go on the ladies homeowners insurance right?
That's the same thing Allstate did when a guy changed lanes into me a couple of years ago. Fortunately, I had his insurance info, but I still made the claim through mine. They took my deductible, got the work done, and then fought it out with the other insurance company. About six months later I got my deductible back. No rate increases since I wasn't at fault.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Well, I assume you have insurance which will pay to fix it, but as you noted, you'd have to pay a deductible and will increase your rates because it is a claim being paid against your policy.
If it's covered as a collision event, it could increase his rates. If it's covered as a comprehensive event, it won't. If the animal had been a deer instead of a dog, it almost certainly would be treated as comprehensive. I'm not sure what they do with dogs.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 02:02 AM   #48
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

I'm sorry that you have a negative image of Progressive Insurance. I had such a positive experience filing a claim against one of their policyholders that, when my insurance came up for renewal, I switched to them.

They not only had an appraiser look at the damage to my car, but the appraiser handed me the keys to a rental car, delivered my car to the repairing shop, and then, when i was unhappy with the repair, they arranged to have it done again.

Oh, and my original appointment with the appraiser was at 6:00pm on a Friday night.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 03:20 AM   #49
Brolan
Commodore

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
I'm sorry that you have a negative image of Progressive Insurance. I had such a positive experience filing a claim against one of their policyholders that, when my insurance came up for renewal, I switched to them.

They not only had an appraiser look at the damage to my car, but the appraiser handed me the keys to a rental car, delivered my car to the repairing shop, and then, when i was unhappy with the repair, they arranged to have it done again.

Oh, and my original appointment with the appraiser was at 6:00pm on a Friday night.
I had a good experience with Progressive too. When I was rear-ended at an intersection they made it very easy for me to come to their claims center, drop off my car, pick up a rental while it was being repaired, and come back later and pick it up. Couldn't have been easier.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 05:20 AM   #50
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Maybe it depends on where you are.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 12:54 PM   #51
Yoda
Rear Admiral

It's amazing how negligent some pet owners are. I mean, I can almost understand shitty parents because hey, some people have kids as accidents. But it seems like you actually have to make the decision to acquire a pet.
Old November 15 2013, 06:56 PM   #52
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Kind of like the topic title says I had a recent incident where I hit a dog with my car on the highway. The dog ran out front of my car on the highway and I hit it. It caused quite a bit of damage to my vehicle. The police report states that the homeowner is at fault for not having his dog secured. But now my problem is that the homeowner is refusing to give me any insurance info or anything really. What can I do? I have a 2013 Subaru imprezza that cost about 36,000.
Also, the dog did die. Which I feel terrible about since I am a dog owner and lover.
You can get a lawyer and sue them. That will get it kicked in. Also, like another poster said, go through your own insurance and then they will go after the homeowner in subrogation. Good luck!
Old November 17 2013, 06:19 AM   #53
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
It's amazing how negligent some pet owners are. I mean, I can almost understand shitty parents because hey, some people have kids as accidents. But it seems like you actually have to make the decision to acquire a pet.
I don't think we've heard anything to establish that the owners were grossly negligent. Maybe the dog was inside, a door wasn't fully closed, and it heard a cat outside, decided to run after it, and that's how it all went down? Maybe the owners are lousily irresponsible, but maybe it was an innocent accident that could happen to just about anyone.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote